USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

America's Army -Linux Demo - Bootable CD Version

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2024 3:32 am    Post subject: America's Army -Linux Demo - Bootable CD Version Reply with quote

http://gentoogames.supercomputerinc.com/

This is a link to a bootable iso ......... is gentoo based. Haven't actually got to try it out as I'm in the process of downloading it now. Thanks to Scott Tiger (techimo) for the linkage Smile Now where is Scott anyway??????? Someone get him over here Smile :)

Large iso download 512,120 KB Est download time 50 minutes at 172KB/sec Surprised

cunokyle

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2024 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man! I hate dial up...time to download overnight again :(

and then again...maybe not...after seeing the download time as 26hrs decided it is definitely not worth it!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2024 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm posting from the gentoo live cd with america's army on it now......... Smile I can burn you a copy if you want, just stop by and pick it up at dsml ............

I can't get america's army to work though........says it needs a NEWER nvida card ............ or something like that Rolling Eyes ......... bummer. So it really won't work on your system either....... unless you went and bought a different graphics card :)

Anyway......... very impressive........what little i could see........... unfortunately, it doesn't work on my system Sad

jester

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey crouse - what card do you have? - I got it to work on my gf3-ti500, not yet tried on the gf2-mx400 - prolly will do at the weekend

I had issues as ever with the livecds by gentoo because of my all scsi set-up - install bails out and I have to manually insmod my scsi module then return to boot

but even then the automated x-setup didn't work this time, so I just used the knoppernet cloop tools to mount the livecd image and extracted to my working install and all was good - the game is smooth

edit:here's my post from gentoo forums on that cloop thing
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.html?t=54515

I'm tj over there as some other clown is using my handle Rolling Eyes

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ati radeon 7500 64mb agp

Will look at the link you sent. Might try to extract the game to the hard drive....

Thanks Smile

jester

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the livecd gets to cli fine (even if x bails out) then you could just mount your regular /home from there

the reason I suggested the cloop thing is that people were reporting errors copying the files over from within the livecd environment

for me I had different issues so working from within my regular gentoo install was a much better way to do it

good luck and let me know if you have questions, but remember I have no idea about radeons

an ati post at gentoo

Scott_Tiger

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2024 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Jester - I got it to work with no problems with RH9. All I had to do was boot to the disk, edit /etc/fstab, mount the drive, and start copying the files over. I appreciate the help.

(Now if only I was as good at reading directions - I went through marksman ship qualifiying before realizing I had to create an account. Guess Uncle Sam won't want me.. LOL!)

Nice forums you have here Crouse. Glad to be able to make it. Very Happy

cunokyle

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2024 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouse, if you get it to work let me know and I will stop by dsml and pick up a copy!

And after reading the link about the ATI fix above...I doubt I will be trying to get it to work! Laughing Sounds like a pain!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: