USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Remote Administration
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Servers and Server Administration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: Remote Administration Reply with quote

Hey all,

Thanks for all of the help so far, I do have another Q

I am going to be setting up a server in a remote location (The FTP I've been working on) I'm in our Colorado office and my boss is wanting me to set up the server in our Chicago office. So I need a remote administration program/tool to be used with CentOS 5 (still unsure if I'm going to install Xwindows or not) What would be the best for this setup?

Again, Thanks so much so far Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stuka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend an SSH server and screen on the remote box, and SSH on the local one. This means you don't need an X server (overkill for an FTP server IMHO), and you have encrypted access to the box (no cleartext passwords). You'll be more than able to read the logs, edit configs, etc., and, if your main desktop runs Windows, you can use Putty to communicate with it.

Screen lets you connect one time, and open up multiple virtual terminals inside a single SSH session, so you can handily do things like edit a config in one screen, and test the result in another.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you're dead set you want to use X based apps, you can tunnel them over SSH.

say you've got a remote box called, for want of a better name, remote. The local one is called local.
In remote's sshd_config you need:
Code:

PermitTunnel yes
AllowTcpForwarding yes
X11Forwarding yes
# doesn't have to be 10, but set it to something greater than the number of X servers running on the box
X11DisplayOffset 10

You'll need similar changes for the client ssh_config.
the on the client do:
Code:
$ ssh -XC user@remote

You should then be able to start X apps from the console. (i.e. try running xterm or something)
You will need the X libraries installed on the remote box, and the x server running on the local one.

However, when all is said and done, 99% of the time it's easier to just use a terminal.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2024 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again I am new to the Linux game so I will need some very basic instructions.

I need a server box running CentOS, is there anything that I need to turn ON on the box to make remote administration work?

secondly I need a remote system, either running Windows or A flavor of Linux (same OS as the server?)

with the Windows system use PuTTY to remote access the system (that I think I have)

If I wanted to use a Linux Box what would I have to do/turn on?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start with some websites how will help you

http://www.linux.com/articles/113651

http://www.freeos.com/articles/2664/

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/rhel-centos-mounting-remote-filesystem-using-sshfs.html

http://www.hispafuentes.com/hf-doc/HOWTOs/Linux-html-HOWTOs-20021014/HOWTO/Networking-Overview-HOWTO-7.html

UltraVPN - a Privacy Solution for Individuals
http://ultravpn.lynanda.com/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stuka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your management box is Linux, you'd need SSH (freely available, most likely included in your distro of choice). On the remote box, you'd have to have the SSH server running (again, most likely included/installed, but may not be running by default).

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2024 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll explain a little more of what i'm looking for. I need to remotely connect to my Linux FTP server (in Chicago) from the office that I am currently at (Colorado Springs). I'm testing PuTTY, but I'm not quite sure how to remotely access their LAN to be able to connect to the system. (i'm about half-way done with the articles)

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2024 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, to access their lan you either need reverse ssh, or to expose the port to the internet. (i.e. port forwarding)

reverse ssh is pretty cool though, when it works as expected:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_SSH_Reverse_Tunnel

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2024 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I looked at the article, but it didn't quite make scence what I'm wanting to so id thus:

Remote laptop <=> router <=> Internet <=> Router <=> Linux server

The article kept mentioning the MIDDLE which I din't understand if that was before the router (between the router and the internet) or after the router (between the router and the server)

mr_ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2024 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So "router" is the one on the left and "Router" is the one on the right?

You pretty much need to either use the SSH Reverse Tunnel (see Nukes's post above) or open a hole on the Router and forward it to port 22 on the Linux server.

Stuka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either set up the reverse tunnels as described, or have the router in the remote (Chicago) office forward some port (could be 22, the SSH standard, or could be any other) to port 22 on the FTP server, then just hit that router's external IP address and proper port from your local (CO) office.

As an example, I have a port forwarding set up from our firewall box (we have a T1, so there's separate router/firewall boxes) that forwards port 22 to a server inside the network. I also have port 8022 set up to forward to a different box, so I can hit it directly if I need to. Of course, the second port is sorta overkill, since I could always ssh in to the first server, then just ssh to the other from it on the internal network.

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2024 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you pick a port not in the nmap-services file you're less likely to be hacked anyway. few people do "-p-" as an option as it is much more likely to set off an IDS (you do have an IDS?)

VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2024 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic wrote:
Ok, I'll explain a little more of what i'm looking for. I need to remotely connect to my Linux FTP server (in Chicago) from the office that I am currently at (Colorado Springs). I'm testing PuTTY, but I'm not quite sure how to remotely access their LAN to be able to connect to the system. (i'm about half-way done with the articles)

Just for clarification, PuTTY is only an SSH CLIENT - on the server that you want to access remotely, you need to install the SSH server.

From a quick google this appears to be the "openssh-server" package in CentOS.

Then you'll open up Putty and enter the IP address of the REMOTE server (the FTP server that is also running the SSH server).

If the Remote server is behind NAT (if its behind a router this is 99% of the case), you'll need to forward port 22 (by default) to the remote server. I would test the SSH server locally if possible before worrying about forwarding ports though.

MacBook: OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
Nic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2024 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure what IDS is, again I'm new at this game, but I am currently posting this from the server Very Happy so its up and running. I tried using the server with just the command line, but I couldn't quite get the hang of it. (guess I have a ways to go) but I am getting it configured right now, so it should be up and running shortly. Linux is so much fun. Thanks for all of the help.

I currently have webmin installed and I'm using PuTTY on my windows michene to access the Konsole. I've tried to get my 2 linux boxes to talk to each other, but I think i may have missed a step when setting up this box, so I get to run back and figre that one out...yeay...

I also am in process of installing a VPN to connect the 2 offices...what fun...

mr_ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2024 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDS = Intrusion Detection System (I think! Very Happy)

Do a Google search for Snort.

Congrats on getting your server up. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Servers and Server Administration All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: