USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Announcing LinuxGlobe!!! :D
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Member Blogs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2024 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, if you could get Slackware 2.3 to run on today's hardware or even a 400-600 MHz system, it would run like an absolute racehorse! It FELT as fast on my 100 MHz Micron with Slackware as Digital UNIX did on a 233 MHz Alpha. The Alpha definitely compiled code way faster, ran floating point stuff way faster, but interactive work through fvwm was definitely tighter than CDE on Digital UNIX. But run CDE today. It looks ugly but it could run circles around GNOME or KDE - it ran on 200 MHz systems with 64M memory back then.

Progress! Chew up more and more bandwidth, make it look pretty, but eat space and power! I'd like to see something REALLY better for a change instead of something just CUTER. We are well overdue.

LinuxGlobe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2024 11:27 pm    Post subject: What's coming next for Linux! Reply with quote

What I hope to see in Fedora or Ubuntu, an Open Source version of a mixed MAC OS X & Windoze XP type of GUI shell, that can do multimedia (video,) games (similar to Windoze type,) and music (GarageBand type.) I hope Songbird will be the next iTunes and it will be included as well. The next generation of Linux OSes will steal users from Windoze and let curious Mac users try it out with Live CDs or Fusion hosted partitions. I am excited to see what is next! If you are a fan of Linux, contribute to my blog! Very Happy

Mark McLaughlin
linuxglobe.wordpress.com
Hudson, MA

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BrionS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2024 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome LinuxGlobe!

As much as it may pain me to say it, if you want a Mac OS X look-alike, you may consider looking into DreamLinux. At least one member on the board here will be happy to tell you all he knows about it and from what I've seen it's essentially the same guts as Ubuntu (Debian actually, and possibly minus a few of the nicest conveniences of Ubuntu) but it looks like OS X and they try very hard to emulate that look.

All the software that runs on any Linux distro should be able to run on DreamLinux, do check out the VideoLinux distro. The distro itself is listed as dormant on distrowatch.org, but that link provides a glance at the software they include which you could install into DreamLinux to get your OS X-like video editing Linux powerhouse. Smile

If you have any questions be sure to hit this board up - we have a broad range and depth of experience across the members as well as a few "researchers" who can help you find your answers. Plus we're usually quite friendly! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Member Blogs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: