USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Lotus Symphony for Linux Beta 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Application News and Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2024 10:42 pm    Post subject: Lotus Symphony for Linux Beta 2 Reply with quote

Quote:

Publisher's Description:

Lotus Symphony is comprised of three applications - Lotus Symphony Documents, Lotus Symphony Spreadsheets and Lotus Symphony Presentations. These intuitive software tools, which support Windows and Linux desktops, are designed to handle the majority of office productivity tasks that workers typically perform. It supports multiple file formats including Microsoft Office and Open Document Format (ODF), and also can output content in PDF format.

more at betanews

I liked beta 1 and now I am going to download beta 2!

IBM Lotus Symphony BETA

Download

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2024 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hated beta 1, but I'll download beta 2 anyway.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if a lot of the old Lotus loyallists will give this a spin, and maybe switch from Micro$hsft Office, That would be splendid Wink Exclamation

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote:
I wonder if a lot of the old Lotus loyallists will give this a spin, and maybe switch from Micro$hsft Office, That would be splendid Wink Exclamation

You don't have to wonder, they will Very Happy

The great thing is, it runs on windows and linux. It's perfect because it has also futures what the openoffice don't have.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject: Is the second Beta a lot better than the first one? Reply with quote

jada wrote:
JP wrote:

You don't have to wonder, they will Very Happy

The great thing is, it runs on windows and linux. It's perfect because it has also futures what the openoffice don't have.

If I remember right, the fonts on the Linux version of the first beta test of Lotus Symphony were terrible, and the code seemed to use some underlying features from a really old version of Open Office with a Lotus framework around it. I think I also installed it on an XP system and tried it there once or twice, and it actually seemed to run a bit better there.

Any update on what has been done in subsequent work and how it runs in the Beta 2 instance? For me, I did not see anything particularly compelling in it that would cause me to prefer it over Open Office, but it could be that newer versions will be vastly improved. What features does it offer on top of OO features?

What are your thoughts on what has been going on with this development effort?

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would prefer that they just contributed to openoffice myself........ instead of borking it trying to integrate it into old code.

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 8:42 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
Would prefer that they just contributed to openoffice myself........ instead of borking it trying to integrate it into old code.

My testing did not indicate a very good initial beta version. The code being used is old, the functionality appears to be a regression compared to Open Office, and it seems, overall, to be a fork in the road. Unless it can demonstrate significant value added, I question its usefulness.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^couldn't have said it much better myself.

Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest ditto is Crouse's comment.

The suite is supposedly SLED and RedHat compatible which may mean tweeking issues.

KOffice actually supplies my needs for now (though I seem to crash it a lot).

Open Office, with a lot of the "auto" things disabled, has been very functional for me. It is a little strange to see a spreadsheet with Chinese characters and Tibetan fonts all on the same page, and all the Win folks never know the difference from M$ when I send them things.

Symphony will serve as an irritant to M$ and increases awareness to alternatives. It will have to deliver something besides nostalgic relief to get me excited. Google, if it continues their online development, will keep gathering steam.

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux need some "professional" applications. Sorry to say this, but when I see what problems I have to solved in the last days, I was going to buy a Laptop with Vista, M$ Office Acrobat Pro, just for keep someone quiet.

IBM is doing the right thing Smile

BrionS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the size? Has the beta 2 shrunk at all? The first beta was gargantuan and like most everyone above I didn't find it at all compelling to use over OpenOffice.org.

OO.o loads faster, is slightly smaller overall (and can be downloaded in discrete parts from APT repos I believe). The only think I really wish OO.o would get rid of is the Clippy alternative (the lightbulb) -- anyone know how to kill him permanently?

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IBM® Lotus® Symphony™ is a set of applications for creating, editing, and sharing word processing documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. Designed to handle the majority of tasks that end users perform, the Lotus Symphony tools support the Open Document Format (ODF), enabling organizations to access, use, and maintain their documents over the long term without worrying about end-of-life uncertainties or ongoing software licensing and royalty fees. By using tools that support ODF, customers are not locked into one particular vendor for their productivity tools. ODF helps provide interoperability and flexibility.

With Lotus Symphony, end users create, manage, edit, and import documents in ODF. However, Lotus Symphony tools can also import, edit, and save documents in Microsoft® Office formats or export those documents to ODF for sharing with ODF-compliant applications and solutions.

There are three applications that make up the Lotus Symphony tools: Lotus Symphony Documents, Lotus Symphony Spreadsheets, and Lotus Symphony Presentations. These applications offer a complete set of features and can serve as an end user's daily office productivity solution. For many customers and organizations, the Lotus Symphony tools are a viable alternative to purchasing, deploying, and managing typical vendor-proprietary productivity suites.

Lotus Symphony is based on OpenOffice.org Technology and supports the ODF standard, ISO 26300
(Emphasis Mine)

BrionS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's based on OO.o, but it's far more bloated that just OO.o and quite frankly the latest version of OO.o is more functional that Lotus Symphony (or so it seems).

So my question stands, did it shrink at all (like back down into the realm of OO.o)?

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrionS wrote:
I know it's based on OO.o, but it's far more bloated that just OO.o and quite frankly the latest version of OO.o is more functional that Lotus Symphony (or so it seems).

OK, I wasn't aware that everyone knew that from the comments ..... just thot I'd put that up so it was clear about the base ....... heck, I thot they were releasing something based on their own proprietary "Lotus Notes" code when I first read about it Laughing Laughing Exclamation

As for your question ....... I guess you'll have to wait for the reviews .... Jada seems to like it as far as features and functionality over OO.o Wink .... but then he seems to be the only one so far Very Happy Very Happy

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they would have simply ported Lotus Smartsuite instead of forking OO, they probably would have had a winner. I loved smartsuite, and the integration it had. Some cool toolbars for the desktop were possible with SmartSuite, address book, notes, etc. All have been replaced on my Linux machine by other apps, but an integrated setup like they had would be nice. KDE apps come close, but Kaddressbook does nothing for me.

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Application News and Releases All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: