USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Arch Install notes for Masinick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2024 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
now I only use core, extra, and community.
------- excellent idea..... I do that as well Wink

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2024 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote:

5. I ran hwd -x, but that was deficient also, so I hand-copied the xorg.conf between the two computers to see it I could get a working OS, but all I got was a "freeze-up."
I will try startx from the command line on the HP, and see if I can post the xorg.conf for you.

Work around.
First use a live CD to get your monitor settings from the xorg.conf It looks like
Code:

HorizSync    31.0 - 80.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0

or something like this. This you need to set up manuell. But you can also get the data from the HP website.

Before use hwd -x you must run
Code:
hwd -u
to update your date base.

Some links
BIOS Update
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00007682&lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&dlc=en&product=1152514
Open Source and Linux from HP
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/309906-0-0-0-121.html
Obtaining Software and Drivers
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07165&dlc=en&product=1152514

But I recommend a live CD Slackware
http://www.slackware.com/

copy your files over
then run in Archlinux Konsole Log in Root

Code:
updatedb
and you are done.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2024 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jada, if I use a console login, and startx, I am able to use the HP Arch install without the "freeze-up." It's just when I try to go through the login manager for a regular login that I have the problems. Fortunately, I don't need to use a live CD to be able to post the config files Wink I will, however, do the updatedb, as you suggested.

Two questions for someone ..... I'm looking for two commands that I know I've used before, but can't remember what they were. I couldn't find any familiar ones that I could recognize in O'Reilly Alphabetical Directory of Linux Commands .... they may be there, I just didn't recognize them as a familiar command.
1. a command that will tell me the current IP address of this box. ifconfig doesn't tell me my ip addy.
2. a command that will tell me what all hardware I have in this box. lspci doesn't tell me exactly what graphics card I have. I believe it was a couple of years back someone told me to use a command, and I either failed to write it down, or I have lost it in this jungle I jokingly refer to as 'my desk.' Laughing

jester

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote:
Two questions for someone ..... I'm looking for two commands that I know I've used before, but can't remember what they were. I couldn't find any familiar ones that I could recognize in O'Reilly Alphabetical Directory of Linux Commands .... they may be there, I just didn't recognize them as a familiar command.
1. a command that will tell me the current IP address of this box. ifconfig doesn't tell me my ip addy.
2. a command that will tell me what all hardware I have in this box. lspci doesn't tell me exactly what graphics card I have. I believe it was a couple of years back someone told me to use a command, and I either failed to write it down, or I have lost it in this jungle I jokingly refer to as 'my desk.' Laughing

Code:
 ifconfig -a | grep inet\ addr

Code:
jester ~  $  ifconfig -a | grep inet\ addr
          inet addr:192.168.1.5  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0

Code:
lspci | grep VGA

Code:
jester ~  $  lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G71 [GeForce 7950 GT] (rev a1)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jester

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@JP: re xorg.conf

1. here's a link that may (or may not) help

2. another

3. make sure dri is disabled - that chipset is famous for no dri / 3d support (see pg 11 for your posted xorg.conf - dri is uncommented /snip/
Code:
Section "Module"
        Load  "ddc"  # ddc probing of monitor
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "bitmap" # bitmap-fonts
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "record"
        #   Load  "synaptics"
EndSection
/snip/

Browse the link under #1 - that's the homepage of the sis driver dev it seems - a wealth of info there

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jester wrote:
@JP: re xorg.conf

1. here's a link that may (or may not) help

2. another

3. make sure dri is disabled - that chipset is famous for no dri / 3d support (see pg 11 for your posted xorg.conf - dri is uncommented /snip/
Code:
Section "Module"
        Load  "ddc"  # ddc probing of monitor
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "bitmap" # bitmap-fonts
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "record"
        #   Load  "synaptics"
EndSection
/snip/

Browse the link under #1 - that's the homepage of the sis driver dev it seems - a wealth of info there

Thanks jester for those two posts .... seems I need to learn more about "pipes" and "grep" Wink Wink I'll comment out that "dri" right away and read up on the "sis" stuff you mentioned ... today I'm recuperating from my trip, so nothing's going to happen today Wink

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2024 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used those examples (edited for my machine, of course) and tried it out ... no good ..... That's OK, of course, because tomorrow (today?) I'm giving this albatross to my wife for her M$O$ XP and going to use my other box; slower, but Linux Friendly Wink

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reinstalled Arch on one of my desktops, decided to update my installation notes for the newer KDE4 version of Arch. This is for a moderately lightweight KDE4 desktop. Most of the KDE add-ons are not installed.

Code:
Installation:

Under system configuration
rc.conf
   eth0="dhcp"
   Change the hostname to what you want the computer named
   If you did not do the “set time” option, you will want to make sure to set your                    HARDWARECLOCK=”” and TIMEZONE=”” (easier than the time option)
Set root password

First Boot:
update /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist for the mirrors you want to use
pacman -Syu
   Make sure you see CORE, EXTRA and COMMUNITY repos updating, otherwise you need to   edit    /etc/pacman.conf and files in /etc/pacman.d/*
pacman -S ttf-ms-fonts ttf-dejavu ttf-bitstream-vera ttf-freefont irssi openssh openntpd hal dnsutils whois xorg    openoffice-base jre jdk firefox thunderbird pidgin gimp gqview sudo mplayer mplayer-plugin xine-lib    xine-ui libdvdread libdvdcss k3b dvd+rw-tools gtk-recordmydesktop revelation autofs    flashplugin    amarok asunder kdebase kdebase-workspace kdeutils kdegraphics kdegames
(If laptop)pacman -S wicd <firmware for wireless>

Install Proprietary video drivers:
Nvidia
   pacman -S nvidia
   nvidia-xconfig
ATI
   pacman -S catalyst
   aticonfig

Adding Users:
adduser <username>
usermod -aG tty,disk,wheel,lp,log,video,audio,optical,network,storage,power <username>

Modifying rc.conf:
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network @autofs @cups @netfs @hal @openntpd @crond @sshd !httpd !myssqld !   webmin !portmap !fam !postfix)
(if laptop)DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !network dbus wicd @autofs @cups @netfs @hal @openntpd @crond    @sshd !httpd !mysqld !webmin !portmap !fam !postfix)
      Note, to stop/start/restart any of the daemons use the command /etc/rc.d/damonname start
      Note2, ! means daemon is disabled @ means the daemon is backgrounded.... boots faster.
INTERFACES=(eth0)
(if laptop)INTERFACES=(!eth0 !eth1)
Add autofs4 to MODULES=() in order for automount to work.

Configure X:
(can be skipped if running proprietary drivers and have already run their configuration)X -configure

Fix inittab:
comment out the line to init 3, uncomment line for init 5
comment out the line to exec xdm, uncomment line for exec kdm

One thing I really don't like about Arch is the "groups". I need the kdegraphics group for okular. But it also insalls gwenview and Kolourpaint. Gwenview is IMO highly inferior to gqview, and Kolourpaint is just plain useless. But without getting rid of okular, I have no way of being without them. Likewise, the kdemultimedia is needed for kmix...but it installs the completely broken, unworking shell of garbage that is kscd, and also juk, which is a pale, pale, pale comparison to amarok. But again, no way of getting rid of them because of their reliance on the groups.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2024 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlmiller wrote:
Cleaned up and brought up to date:

Installation:

Under system configuration
rc.conf
Change the hostname to what you want the computer named
If you did not do the “set time” option, you will want to make sure to set your HARDWARECLOCK=”” and TIMEZONE=”” (easier than the time option)
Update pacman mirrorlist for the mirrors you want to use
Set root password

First Boot:
pacman -Syu
Make sure you see CORE, EXTRA and COMMUNITY repos updating, otherwise you need to edit /etc/pacman.conf and files in /etc/pacman.d/*
pacman -S ttf-ms-fonts ttf-dejavu ttf-bitstream-vera ttf-freefont openssh hal dnsutils whois xorg openoffice-base jre jdk firefox thunderbird pidgin amsn aspell-en gimp gqview sudo mplayer mplayer- plugin xine-lib smplayer libdvdread libdvdcss cdrdao k3b dvd+rw-tools revelation autofs flashplugin amarok asunder kdebase kdebase-workspace kde-meta-kdeutils kdegames kdemultimedia-kmix kdegraphics-okular kdemultimedia-dragonplayer phonon-xine
(If laptop)pacman -S wicd xf86-input-synaptics <firmware for wireless>

Install Proprietary video drivers:
Nvidia
pacman -S nvidia
(if older, pacman -S nvidia-173xx, no mobile nvidia graphics I've tried will work with current nvidia)
nvidia-xconfig

Adding Users:
adduser <username>
usermod -aG tty,disk,wheel,lp,log,video,audio,optical,network,storage,power <username>

Modifying rc.conf:
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network @autofs @cups @hal @crond @sshd !httpd !myssqld ! webmin !portmap !fam !postfix)
(if laptop)change (… !network dbus wicd ...)
Note, to stop/start/restart any of the daemons use the command /etc/rc.d/damonname start
Note2, ! means daemon is disabled @ means the daemon is backgrounded.... boots faster.
INTERFACES=(eth0)
(if laptop)INTERFACES=(!eth0)
Add autofs4 to MODULES=() in order for automount to work.

Configure X:
(can be skipped if running proprietary drivers and have already run their configuration)X -configure

Fix inittab:
comment out the line to init 3, uncomment line for init 5
comment out the line to exec xdm, uncomment line for exec kdm

Have redone my instructions for the latest changes in the Arch installer and repos.

Last edited by tlmiller on Mon Aug 10, 2024 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2024 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Tim, thanks for the updates! I think maintaining these quick guides makes it possible for some who may otherwise find Arch Linux to be a bit too much to handle, and even for those of us who can handle it, I think it sure eases the transition every time we install a new instance! Your updates are great, thanks a lot!

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2024 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And wouldn't you know they released a new image today, so I'm sure they've changed a ton on the installer again. Very Happy

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2024 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlmiller wrote:
And wouldn't you know they released a new image today, so I'm sure they've changed a ton on the installer again. Very Happy

Oh well, I think your script update keeps at least the basics intact; we may all have to make some adjustments here and there. Thanks for being on top of it, though, I appreciate it!

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlmiller wrote:

already out!

Last edited by jada on Mon Aug 10, 2024 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2024 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, they didn't really change that much on their installer. The best thing is that they now have eth0 defaulting to dhcp. I think that's a great thing since very few people I know still use manually assigned static addresses.

They also set the default so that ALL mirrors are commented out by default. Again, as long as you make sure to go in to modify your mirrorlist during install, this is a good change, as you can make sure to avoid using high latency ones whereas before EVERYTHING was active, so it took forever and a day to comment out all the unneeded ones.

edit: One thing I've found, you must now explicitly install cdrdao. Even though k3b depends upon cdrdao to burn cd's, it is no longer set as a dependency of k3b, and so must be manually chosen. No doubt this will be fixed, but for now, you must remember to install it for k3b to function correctly. Have updated my updates to reflect this. Very Happy

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2024 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlmiller wrote:
well, they didn't really change that much on their installer. The best thing is that they now have eth0 defaulting to dhcp. I think that's a great thing since very few people I know still use manually assigned static addresses.

They also set the default so that ALL mirrors are commented out by default. Again, as long as you make sure to go in to modify your mirrorlist during install, this is a good change, as you can make sure to avoid using high latency ones whereas before EVERYTHING was active, so it took forever and a day to comment out all the unneeded ones.

edit: One thing I've found, you must now explicitly install cdrdao. Even though k3b depends upon cdrdao to burn cd's, it is no longer set as a dependency of k3b, and so must be manually chosen. No doubt this will be fixed, but for now, you must remember to install it for k3b to function correctly. Have updated my updates to reflect this. Very Happy

I statically assign ALL my IP's for my machines... it allows me to use the router to forward by port to the correct machines. Interesting about cdrdao ..... didn't know that.

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: