USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

And now...the IDE Religious War Thread!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Shell Scripting and Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2024 7:04 pm    Post subject: And now...the IDE Religious War Thread!! Reply with quote

Ok, not really...just trying out an attention-getting headline (though feel free to flame if you must!)

What I'm looking for is suggestions or ideas on what you might be using for C/C++ development on Linux. Right now I'm using good ole gcc and vi but really need something a little more full-featured. I guess I'm just getting lazy Shocked

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2024 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: And now...the IDE Religious War Thread!! Reply with quote

Colonel Panic wrote:
(though feel free to flame if you must!)
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

My suggestion would be that no one flame you, since flaming isn't allowed on this LUG. Very Happy Very Happy
Welcome Page wrote:
We hope you enjoy your stay, and that you find this website useful. The only way it is useful to anyone is by the members that are here helping each other. Please be respectful of each other and don't be hateful or rude on these boards. Doing so could lead to being banned from the boards for an indefinate period. These forums are not to be used for attacking, or degrading another person in any way.

Welcome Page Clik Wink
We all try to get along with each other, and respect each other's opinions Wink .

As far as programming, I can't help you, but if you're talking about text editors, like vi, there's always Vim, Emacs, Kate, gedit, kwrite, and several others, just use the search function for "text editors" or something similar and it will probably point you to twenty or thirty that I don't even know about or can't remember!! Laughing Laughing
HTHs

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2024 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP, I was being mildly (and apparently, ineffectively) sarcastic--sorry about that.

I found some of these, anyone have any experience with ones on this list? Anjuta looks promising.

http://gpwiki.org//C:Development_Environments

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2024 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colonel Panic wrote:
JP, I was being mildly (and apparently, ineffectively) sarcastic--
I figured that! ...... I was just joking with you Wink Very Happy Very Happy

richard
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2024 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that I for one didn't find find the title funny. Can you please change it to something more suitable.

bdquick
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those things I'm still looking for myself. I must admit that visual studio has spoiled me.

Rootboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to USALUG! What part of Nebraska? I used to live in Lincoln.

Anyways, did you try out Kdevelop yet? (Are you running KDE?)

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootboy--Yeah, Lincoln-whee! I'll bet TN is a lot nicer this time of year. We just got another four inches of snow, and that's over about 1-2" of mirror-like ice.

I just downloaded and built KDevelop today (check out http://www.kdevelop.org/ if you haven't seen this yet) -- thanks for the tip.

Wow--it's really pretty good and full-featured. As you'd expect, it's very flexible and has a ton of interesting things you can do. I haven't built out a full project with it yet, but the project/build/deploy cycle looks to be entirely automated, which is a huge help. Version control tools also look pretty good. There's a built-in memory leak checker, hooks to use gdb for debugging, etc.

If you're used to a more popular IDE like VS or Eclipse, I think you'd like this one. More to come, I'm going to bang around on this all weekend.

Anyway, hope y'all are well. BTW, Sorry if my sense of humor is incompatible with this board, as fellow Linux enthusaists, I'd have guessed we were more accepting of iconoclasts.

Cheers,

CP

bdquick
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be expecting free software soon Smile

Rootboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2024 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colonel Panic wrote:
Rootboy--Yeah, Lincoln-whee! I'll bet TN is a lot nicer this time of year. We just got another four inches of snow, and that's over about 1-2" of mirror-like ice.

When I was there last, it was -32F. I'm not sure if that's better/worse/about the same as snow and ice (I think that I'd rather have the cold and skip the snow and ice).

We actually have ice on the ground down here. Durn!

Colonel Panic wrote:
I just downloaded and built KDevelop today (check out http://www.kdevelop.org/ if you haven't seen this yet) -- thanks for the tip.

Anytime! It's what we're here for. Smile

Colonel Panic wrote:
Anyway, hope y'all are well. BTW, Sorry if my sense of humor is incompatible with this board, as fellow Linux enthusaists, I'd have guessed we were more accepting of iconoclasts.

No harm done here. Besides, if they haven't kicked me off yet, then everyone's pretty much safe. Wink

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2024 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd return and weigh in.

I really like kdevelop, but lately I've been (re)discovering emacs.

One of the reasons I chose such a potentially inflammatory headline (apologies to any who were offended) is that there are a lot of people who take their preference in editors so seriously that it almost approaches the level of a "religious war." If you've ever overheard someone discussing the merits of vi vs. emacs vs. pico you'll know what I mean.

I think it's a tad ridiculous, but there you go.

I've been a 'vi guy' forever, but I have to say, once you get into it, emacs totally rules. Try the tutorial if you're having trouble figuring things out, then check out some of the other online resources.

I think I'm hooked. I think this is the only IDE I'll need for awhile!

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2024 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, I was afraid you'd forgotten us Smile .... glad to see you back!

I use nano mostly, but sometimes kate or kwrite ..... with emacs and vim, there's too many commands and modes for me to remember, and with all of my 2" x 2" "cheat sheets" on my desk, it takes me an hour to find stuff and another hour to decipher my hieroglyphics Laughing Laughing

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2024 2:48 pm    Post subject: I don't fight about it, but I have my preferences Reply with quote

Colonel Panic wrote:
Thought I'd return and weigh in.

I really like kdevelop, but lately I've been (re)discovering emacs.

One of the reasons I chose such a potentially inflammatory headline (apologies to any who were offended) is that there are a lot of people who take their preference in editors so seriously that it almost approaches the level of a "religious war." If you've ever overheard someone discussing the merits of vi vs. emacs vs. pico you'll know what I mean.

I think it's a tad ridiculous, but there you go.

I've been a 'vi guy' forever, but I have to say, once you get into it, emacs totally rules. Try the tutorial if you're having trouble figuring things out, then check out some of the other online resources.

I think I'm hooked. I think this is the only IDE I'll need for awhile!

I mastered basic Vi before I even knew about Vim - way back in the early days of UNIX development. I first used Emacs, not in the GNU variety, but two or three variations based on the original Emacs. I did not master it until I got a hold of GNU Emacs, which I used at Digital Equipment Corporation, both on VAX/VMS, where EDT ruled, and on ULTRIX, where Vi was once king. I was able to put together my own keypad bindings based on an Emacs Lisp script originally set up for EDT keypad emulation. I found one at Digital that was set up for WPS keypad emulation. I modified the script for my own needs, and that helped me to learn Emacs Lisp. That gave me the learning I needed while I adjusted to the completely different style of editing. There are several Emacs keypad binding scripts for Vi, WordStar and many others.

From that base, I was able to learn at my own pace. A few years later I got involved in a UNIX development effort, and by that time I had Emacs down well enough to actually use it as an IDE - Integrated Development Environment. I ended up also using Emacs to read news groups with Gnus, and sometimes even Email, so it was truly an IDE. I also used it to invoke the GNU debugger, check in files in and out of change control, and occasionally "Ask the Doctor" for humorous relief. Collectively, all those features kept me in it.

I am an editing and user interfaces enthusiast so I try out a lot of things. I do not really do much development any more, so I have not gotten into several of the latest IDEs. Kdevelop has been an interest point, but I have not really explored its capabilities. Someone doing Qt development would certainly want to look into that as well.

As for me, GNU Emacs still comes in handy from time to time, and I generally install it on my desktop, even on Windows. With modern computers, it is no longer the huge resource user it was in the days of 16 MHz computers. Once we hit about 100 MHz, even a lowly PC could handle GNU Emacs. These 1, 2, 3 (and more) GHz computers are able to snap Emacs into operation instantly so that is no longer an issue, at least for me. Besides, I tend to start it up and leave it running.

Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masinick

I enjoyed reading your post! I have very fond memories of an editor you may remember: TECO. I learned computing on a
PDP-11/70 (RSTS/E) system, and TECO was the editor of choice.

I don't remember much about it, but I think TECO had some escape sequence that involved hitting the 'esc' key (which would echo
as a dollar sign) twice. Everything was "press this and that, and then escape-escape."

Fun times. If you worked at DEC back in the day, I'm sure you've got tons of great stories! Share as many as you have, that
was truly the golden age.

Rootboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2024 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you back again. Smile

So what didn't you like about kdevelop?

I prefer gedit for playing around with C++, kdevelop always seemed to get in the way of things.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Shell Scripting and Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: