USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

And now...the IDE Religious War Thread!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Shell Scripting and Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2024 12:29 am    Post subject: My editing needs are not that typical Reply with quote

VHockey86 wrote:
True, although I wouldn't put so much stock into "speed" for an IDE, at least for coding.

Generally when I'm programming I spend far more time reading, thinking, and debugging rather than actually writing or editing the source.

For me, most of my need for an editor these days is either to edit text (literally) or to edit some kind of tabulated data. Particularly for the second need, that is where I need a flexible editor.

For coding, most anything will do, though it certainly is useful to have an editor capable of marking and highlighting keywords and code blocks, and also for iterating on code, test, code, test.

In my actual coding days, most of it was in C. Vi was a decent tool to use, but only in the latter days of my coding were syntax highlighters even available to me.

These days, when I do code, the majority of it is Bash coding, fairly simple stuff - with the rare exception of the Python work I did with you. (By the way, I go to Boston all this coming week to work with the vendor and with the legal customer on the "translation table" work. The vendor will be taking some Excel spreadsheets and using some translation tables that we have created to take some rather haphazard data that was in the former "system", (if you can call it that), apply some consistent rules to that data, get it into a common format, and then (and only then) import it into the system to be prepared for production readiness.

Meanwhile, I am doing some additional work to support some training activities, all for production readiness. Once the exercise is over I will have little, if anything, to do with this project. I just hope I have another project I can move to after this work is done, so I want to do the best job I can possibly do to support the production roll out.

My best play in this group has been to help the team move from QA to User Acceptance Testing (we call that UAT) to prepare for production roll out. I helped one project about a year ago, then helped "kill" another project that did not meet our expectations.

My main value is in providing a solid set of processes and procedures. I am not really a good coder at all - been away from that too long, but I do bring experience in knowing what kind of problems to anticipate when releasing new systems.

So to me, text editors just help me to be nimble in my efforts to ensure solid processes and procedures. Developers have much different needs than me, and probably most people have different needs than me for that matter.

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2024 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with masinick. I tend to prefer simpler tools too.. in my case it is nano or vim on the cli (though I keep meaning to give emacs a proper try, in the past the huge download size put me off). If I'm in a gui, Kate does the job nicely (actually the only kde app I have used in recent memory).
The only thing I'd wish for would be ctags support, and it's not really a problem when you can grep the headers anyway.

I did try kdevelop and anjuta a while back, but they didn't measure up. Slickedit is ok, but a real pain to move a makefile-based project into (or rather, it wants to change certain things to do it it's way.)

The exception here being I tend to use eclipse when I'm coding java. Wouldn't mind giving it a go with C++, but I never got the CDT going right.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2024 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm working on a C project where I've got lots of files and tons of headers I really need an IDE to work effectively. There's just so many files and trying to figure out what file some random thing was #define'd in or where a function is implemented gets really tough without an IDE. The right click--> Goto Declaration or right click --> Goto Definition is a real time saver for me.

Also when working with more complicated code I like integrated debugging tools. Being able to step through the code (which is scattered in tons of files), add break points / watch points, etc is an invaluable resource compared to a regular text editor. (Let's face it, GDB by itself is a pain...)

It's been awhile since I've tried the C/C++ plugins for Eclipse. However I've been using a custom version of eclipse produced by Altera for their NIOS microprocessor family (C/C++ code) and it's been really really nice (I didn't really like Eclipse for Java programming, but that's probably just because I hate java so much).

When it comes to plain-ol text editors I prefer VIM and SciTE. I like the command-mode of VIM when I'm just using a console and a keyboard. When I'm in something like pico or nano I find it really hard to navigate around quickly and not accidentally hit a key inserting some random character into my file (then saving it and not noticing and wondering whats wrong with my config).

jbsnake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2024 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kate... ftw!

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2024 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VHockey86 wrote:
When I'm working on a C project where I've got lots of files and tons of headers I really need an IDE to work effectively. There's just so many files and trying to figure out what file some random thing was #define'd in or where a function is implemented gets really tough without an IDE. The right click--> Goto Declaration or right click --> Goto Definition is a real time saver for me.

Yeah, as I say, ctags would be nice.
VHockey86 wrote:
Also when working with more complicated code I like integrated debugging tools. Being able to step through the code (which is scattered in tons of files), add break points / watch points, etc is an invaluable resource compared to a regular text editor. (Let's face it, GDB by itself is a pain...)

I agree. Check out kdbg (half-decent gui for gdb, works ok with multithreaded and object-oriented code too, where gdb alone can sometimes get a bit confusing)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Shell Scripting and Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: