USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Desktop screenshots for June 2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inactive

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is, although it probably can be done, unfortunately, it's not feasible to implement right now. Sad

Edit: part of that being is that there is one program that I run consistently in Gnome, that being kopete. It doesn't like it for whatever reason.

Also not feasible for Seamonkey, which I install from upstream. /edit

jester

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DedannaRocks! wrote:
The problem is, although it probably can be done, unfortunately, it's not feasible to implement right now. Sad

Edit: part of that being is that there is one program that I run consistently in Gnome, that being kopete. It doesn't like it for whatever reason.

Also not feasible for Seamonkey, which I install from upstream. /edit

I'm not sure what you mean by not feasible. KDE4 basically has all of this built-in so kopete should be able to handle it. SeaMonkey is essentially mozilla code and in the 2 (old) screen shots below there was no issue with whichever browser (epiphany, firefox, or seamonkey)

Gnome 2.6(?) Sept 2024

E17 March 2024 <-- of course using E17 compositing tech as opposed to transset

would be interested to hear more about why you believe it's not possible

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
inactive

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say not possible. I said not feasible.

Ever run a browser not installed by your native OS (i.e. from upstream) as transparent, and tried from Gnome to get a KDE I.M. prog to go transparent?

It just doesn't work. You can't see what you're doing with them. And when browsing, and conversing, one needs to see what they're doing. Smile

That is, if one can get the two to go transparent (and only to a certain degree) in the first place. lol.

jester

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DedannaRocks! wrote:
I didn't say not possible. I said not feasible.

Ever run a browser not installed by your native OS (i.e. from upstream) as transparent, and tried from Gnome to get a KDE I.M. prog to go transparent?

It just doesn't work. You can't see what you're doing with them. And when browsing, and conversing, one needs to see what they're doing. Smile

That is, if one can get the two to go transparent (and only to a certain degree) in the first place. lol.

I'm lost:

1) native OS: since we're talking linux here AFAIK, I assume you mean installed outside of the distro's package manager? if so, guess what, it's the same code, just not automated
2) installed as transparent? nothing is 'installed as transparent' - that's what transset (or similar apps) does - allow you to adjust the transparency on the active window using the mouse-wheel no less
3) Kopete on Gnome I've never tried with or without transset - but since transset is an xorg app under the freedesktop.org umbrella both qt and gtk-based apps should work (by xorg requirement)
4) You can't see what you're doing? maybe the transparency is working and you need to adjust the opacity up from 0?

Give me the version numbers of the SeaMonkey and Kopete that you have and I'll give them both a go in Gnome

Which reminds me - there's a Compiz plug-in which should handle all of this much more simply.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2024 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jester wrote:
DedannaRocks! wrote:
I wish I could make everything on my desktop transparent, at least to the extent of the terminal shown here.

you can with transset and xcompmgr/metacity's compositor <-- it's a gentoo howto but I'm sure if you search for transset in the forums of mandriva you'll find the necessary info

You forced me to look Razz
Code:

[root@VistaCrusher ~]# pacman -Ss transset
extra/transset 20240711-2
    Translucency settings tool for X.org
community/transset-df 6-1
    A patched version of X.Org's transset with added functionality

http://www.forchheimer.se/transset-df/

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
jester

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2024 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@crouse: well as you see from my screenshots above transset is hardly new Smile

a lot of that functionality is now built into KDE4 and to some extent metacity / compiz; E17 has been tackling the issue from a different angle based on their etk library

transset & xcompmgr are still useful if you run a *box WM and want transparency

because transset is part of the X.org framework, it doesn't matter whether an app is qt or gtk based - that's all at the next layer

inactive

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2024 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one's still a work in progress. I've just started building an Enlightenment desktop (yes, I know I can find a better wallpaper). got tired of Gnome for the time being.

It runs slowly though, and even though it *said* that it installed some 10 other enlightenment themes, it's beyond me how to find them in the E17 desktop.

Re: transset
Code:
[dedanna@dedanna ~]urpmq --sources transset
No package named transset
[dedanna@dedanna ~]

I don't use 3ddesktop - never could get it to work with any kind of consistency, and even in those rare moments when I can, I get bored with it after about a day (if that long).

So, therefore, compiz=out of the question for this kid.

Seamonkey, the latest, 1.1.9.

jester

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@dedanna: in the enlightenment menu under system (IIRC) you have an option to load modules, one of which is the theme changer

once you load that, you can then access the theme configurator

haven't played with e17 in a while so not sure if the theme info is still correct nor how the transparency stands today

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: