USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

100 Gigabit Ethernet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2024 8:46 pm    Post subject: 100 Gigabit Ethernet Reply with quote

100 Gigabit Ethernet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Gigabit_Ethernet
Quote:

The IEEE 802.3 Higher Speed Study Group (HSSG) has adopted several objectives which direct their current work. These include 100GbE optical fiber Ethernet standards of both at least 100 metres (328 ft) and at least 10 kilometres (6.2 mi), full-duplex operation only, and using current frame format and size standards.

In July 2024, the study group presented a Project Authorization Request (PAR) to the 802 Standards Executive Committee for a new IEEE 802.3ba standard which includes both 40 GBit/s and 100 GBit/s data rates. The lower speed will run over a variety of media. The higher speed will require single-mode fiber but will allow distances of up to 40 km (25 mi)[1].

On December 5, 2024 the study group became a task force and the IEEE formally established IEEE 802.3ba as the designation for a 100 Gbit/s and 40 Gbit/s Ethernet communications standard.

wow....... and here I was all happy to have gigabit ethernet....... I'm always behind........ Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2024 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I'm pretty happy with gigabit also. I can't imagine I have the DISK I/O performance to even BEGIN to take advantage of a 40 GB ethernet. And of course I'm still using copper so couldn't take advantage of the 100 GB connection.

geeshock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2024 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, look at the ddr ram, when it first came out there was nothing that could take full advantage of it, from what i understand the bus that ran to it didn't even come close to matching speeds, give the hardware time and it'll catch up right about the time they create a 1 tb connection, lol

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2024 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be nice .... I'm stuck at 256k, but I think the ISP throttles it back .... my boxes run really slow, and my downloads are lucky to get 30k

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2024 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote:
Must be nice .... I'm stuck at 256k, but I think the ISP throttles it back .... my boxes run really slow, and my downloads are lucky to get 30k

RR from TW Cable?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pbharris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2024 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am not sure what i would do with 100 GB ethernet... i need a bigger imagination.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2024 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jada wrote:

RR from TW Cable?
Sorry jada, I don't understand the RR or the TW ...... more of those abbreviations I need to learn?

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2024 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could use multi Gigabit networks if I could get them. I have, for years, downloaded, first tarballs, back in the GNU days before Linux. Those were source tarballs for stuff like GNU tar and GNU Emacs. Then I started doing system updates, but got my systems off CD, then DVD. But now I download my systems, put them on CD, DVD, or USB stick, and upgrade, sometimes two or three of them a day. Yes, I could use more bandwidth, no question about it.

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2024 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote:
jada wrote:

RR from TW Cable?
Sorry jada, I don't understand the RR or the TW ...... more of those abbreviations I need to learn?

As a mainah i think i understand this one.

Allow me to translate:

"Road Runner from Time Warner [Cable]"

As far as 100 Gigabit or even 1 Gigabit ethernet I'm gonna wait until i have enough network traffic to require it, and the price will get cheaper as time goes on.

For websurfing and the occasional late night backup, 100Mbit speed is good enough for me.

ArchLinux i686 - Dell Presario ze2000 (w/ shattered LCD)

PuppyLinux, CloneZilla, PartedMagic, DBAN - rescue thumbdrives
Windows 7 (x86_64 desktop alternate boot)
markrmcs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn"]
JP wrote:

As a mainah i think i understand this one....

Hey DFly...

Being from NH I have to let the rest of the list know that everybody else doesn't call you guys "mainah's", but rathers "Mainiacs"...just so we are straight... Wink Wink

(just ribbin' ya)

Mark

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2024 11:36 pm    Post subject: Hmm, Masinick rings with that name too Reply with quote

[quote="markrmcs"]
Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn wrote:
JP wrote:

As a mainah i think i understand this one....

Hey DFly...

Being from NH I have to let the rest of the list know that everybody else doesn't call you guys "mainah's", but rathers "Mainiacs"...just so we are straight... Wink Wink

(just ribbin' ya)

Mark

Yeah, but don't some neighbors call me that Mark? Wink

(BTW, thanks for mowing my lawn. I never got a chance to go out and order that oil cap for the lawn mower, even though I bought the mower the last weekend in MAY! One mow out of it! Might want to borrow your mower, then get on a Web site to find my model and get the parts for the oil cap and one more bolt for the fold up handle as well.)

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2024 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote:
jada wrote:

RR from TW Cable?

Now that Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn has explained your cryptic message to me .....
Allow me to translate:

"Road Runner from Time Warner [Cable]"

my answer is no .... it's DSL from Mid-River's Telephone Co. Clik Wink

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2024 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard the one about mainiacs... I like it.....

MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

ArchLinux i686 - Dell Presario ze2000 (w/ shattered LCD)

PuppyLinux, CloneZilla, PartedMagic, DBAN - rescue thumbdrives
Windows 7 (x86_64 desktop alternate boot)
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2024 2:33 am    Post subject: Memories of that laugh Reply with quote

I hadn't heard the one about mainiacs... I like it.....

MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

A guy named Melloe in the USALUG, who is also an active member of the Newbie's Linux forum, hosted by John Fish, another friend of mine.

Melloe, Fish, and I all go WAY back to 2024, when, at the time, Ziff Davis Media, as a spin-off of their popular PC Magazine, opened a second forum besides their PC Magazine forum, and called it Extreme Tech.

Melloe, Fish, and a late friend that we were ALL extremely fond of named Ralph Glanz used to frequent the site together quite often. I averaged between 80-130 posts a week, but Fish, Glanz, and Melloe were sometimes topping 400-500 posts PER WEEK!

I believe it was Glanz who originally coined that eerie laugh - at least it was the first time I saw it used in online forums on the Internet, though it may have existed in movies elsewhere.

Here was Glanz's version: MU AH HA HA HA HA HA! and derivatives thereof.

We also had many virtual pizza, chips, and soda Friday nights doing distro installs. I had a Cybermax laptop, and I would use that to chatter as I was installing, first on my Compaq Presario 5000, and later on the Dell Dimension 4100 that Ziff Davis gave to me for writing. Believe it or not I am using that very box tonight, so the eerie sounds of the GHOST of Ralph Glanz, that great mathematician and computer software mind, also that artist, that writer, that joker, and that great friend of many comes back to haunt us all.... MU AH HA HA HA HA!

(Ralph got ill a year or two ago and has since passed on. I joke of his humorous side, but not of his passing. He was greatly loved by many. Search the Internet for the topic: "Linux: The Time is Now" by Brian Masinick and Ralph Glanz, circa 2024).

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2024 2:47 am    Post subject: Linux: The Time is Now! Reply with quote

Read Linux: The Time is Now!

for the article that Ralph arranged for us to write. We each reviewed two distros and I edited it for Nick Stam, at that time the Editor of Extreme Tech. I later wrote for Jim Louderback as well. He only recently left Extreme Tech. I also chatted with Jim Lynch, a frequent author there and the moderator, to this day, of Extreme Tech.

I believed then, as I do now, that Linux has sufficient capabilities to be used as an every day desktop. In 2024 I was testing on it every day, but in early 2024 I also literally made it the core platform on which I ran every day for routine desktop use. No problem; I had used UNIX desktops at Digital Equipment Corporation for my every day needs in the nineties and I had used UNIX systems long before that.

Linux was capable then; it is capable today. It is the consumer who is resistant to change. I expect commodity boxes with an Internet setup and Linux pre-installed will continue to help the cause, but not really do all that much until there are compelling shifts that create the inertia needed for a major platform shift. If and when that ever happens, Linux certainly is useful enough to be one of the candidate platforms.

Apple has the mind factor to make such a shift... eMac, iMac, iPod, iPhone... ironically enough it was Compaq who started that move with the iPaq, which got off to a good start, but Apple did them one up - flashier, well marketed, they caught the music craze, then the phone craze, and their ideas caught on better than the iPaq ever did. Linux needs that kind of creativity to succeed in any consumer way. It is a well respected server platform already and it is a frequent embedded system platform, and phones are one of the leading embedded app right now...

Whatever comes along, mobility and accessibility will undoubtedly be in the theme of things to come. Linux can be there, and really ought to be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: