USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Am I correct thinking KDE 3 gone from DEFAULT repos on Arch?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2024 9:39 pm    Post subject: Am I correct thinking KDE 3 gone from DEFAULT repos on Arch? Reply with quote

So I reinstalled my one box over the weekend figuring to give up on Fedora 9. Only now I find that I can't install KDE 3, only 4 after reinstalling Arch. Did they change the name, or are they only supporting wannabe Vista now?

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2024 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want KDE 3.x ....... you have to use kdemod, otherwise, they are only supporting the newest version of kde, kde4.x

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
bdquick
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2024 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2024 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I went to XFCE .... too many complaints about KDE4 ..... jada's had a couple of crashes, I read some posts on the ArchLinux forums about KDE4 ... one guy even said KDE4 made his ears bleed, and he wanted to introduce the dev's (censored) to a golf club Laughing Laughing Confused Confused

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2024 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that way about most of the devs at microsoft....

I'll stick with gnome thank you.

ArchLinux i686 - Dell Presario ze2000 (w/ shattered LCD)

PuppyLinux, CloneZilla, PartedMagic, DBAN - rescue thumbdrives
Windows 7 (x86_64 desktop alternate boot)
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2024 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bah, KDE 4.1 is working fine on my 64 bit machine and several 32 bit machines...... no big issues on my end yet...... everything seems to work ok. Smile

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2024 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue I have had with KDE 4 was early on, and that was a crash when it first came up of one function ( don't remember which ) which seemed to work Ok after it booted up.
The next update, it was gone. Those early attempts were short on eye candy, but not a concern of mine.

Mandrake ( about 5.2 ?) and Red Hat boxed sets were the only choice at the office stores when I started, I preferred Mandrake, and grew into Linux with KDE. On a very slow dial-up out here in the third World part of Illinois, downloading was out of the question. Mandrake and my trusty external modem till cable and DSL finally found we were here.

I said that to say this. Although I would like to believe I am desktop agnostic, I find using a borked KDE preferable to most renditions of Gnome. Feel more at home with the aps I suppose. Training is hard to break.

Last edited by melloe on Tue Aug 05, 2024 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2024 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer...guess I'll be using KDEMOD. Thanks for confirming!!

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2024 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
bah, KDE 4.1 is working fine on my 64 bit machine and several 32 bit machines...... no big issues on my end yet...... everything seems to work ok. Smile

It is not the point does it work, it is the point of how to using Wink

Just a simple thing, the kconfig will be add to KDE4.2. The release date is in January.

KDE 4.1 is a bigger beta test. in few days kde 4.1.1 will be release, with the next fixes Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2024 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's exactly the reason I'm still not touching it. too many things I want to change on it that either simply can't be (yet), or are too difficult. But Arch is back up and running with kdemod BEAUTIFULLY...long live KDE3!!

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2024 3:17 am    Post subject: KDE works fine for me, but I use lots of other WM and DM too Reply with quote

I guess my desktop requirements are not as stringent as yours are. I have run a couple of distributions with KDE 4, including Fedora 9, Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 4 Remix, Kubuntu 8.10 Alpha 3 with KDE 4.1, and Mandriva 2024.0 Beta 1, and all of them work acceptably with KDE 4. The KDE 4.1 implementations did not even seem to have any big issues for me, and I have somewhat gotten used to KDE 4.1. On the Lenovo, it handily beats the performance of Vista. Still, sidux with XFCE and antiX with either Fluxbox or IceWM totally blow the doors off Vista and are more responsive than KDE. However, Konqueror in KDE 4.1 is pretty nice and has evolved into a pretty decent web browser as well as a very good file manager. I have spent more than one entire evening using Konqueror for all of my USALUG browsing and all of my Web mail reading, which is a significant chunk of what I use a browser for in the evenings anyway, and it performed flawlessly. Kubuntu does a terrific job of bringing up the Network Manager and it is very good about remembering my previous settings, so my wireless setup works well with Kubuntu. The same is true for Mandriva, so those two are pretty nice to use with the Lenovo.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. You never got interested in XFCE, correct? I often add task bar entries on the XFCE task bar panel for the apps I frequently use. That makes it fast and quick to navigate. When I resort to Fluxbox or IceWM, I also modify their default menus so I get quick access to the apps that I am most interested in. That makes them not only fast to start up, but fast to the fingertips as well. Of course I can do the same things with KDE. On the Lenovo, it has enough memory and processor speed to start KDE almost as fast as XFCE, so I am more inclined to use KDE there. But I have gone back to using XFCE most often these days. I rarely need the drag and drop and other stuff that KDE gives you (with the resultant bloat that goes with it) and that is why I use XFCE or even lighter window managers often.

If you care to experiment with it, fvwm-crystal is easily added with smxi on sidux, and that gives you a fast, reasonably light window manager that practically looks like a desktop manager, it has so many options, desktop screens and windows. It blurs the distinction between desktop and window manager. The only reason I would not rate it a desktop manager is that it does not come with a set of fvwm integrated applications, otherwise it looks and behaves much like a DM. Fvwm is a bit lighter with fewer frills, but fvwm-crystal also has decent eye candy.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2024 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind xfce on the desktop, but on my laptops, I can't get the networkmanager frontend to work with Kwallet instead of gnome-keyring...since kwallet you can tell it to remember your password and never ask you again (allowing you to start the program without a password), while I've never gotten gnome-keyring to just start without prompting for password. this kinda kills any enthusiasm I would otherwise have for XFCE. Haven't tried it in a while, so that may have changed since the last time I tried. But that's the biggest thing I require from a WM/DE on a laptop, that I can use a networkmanager frontend to connect without putting in a password to my wireless networks. I had limited success with *box, with it being hit or miss if it would automatically connect, whereas XFCE and Gnome would always connect, but bother me for my password. So I just keep sticking to KDE3.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2024 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you run a sidux based laptop. you can run ceni only when the network changes. I use sidux wirelessly every day of the week and rarely have to run ceni, except when my cheap wireless router is acting up and I end up having to set up my connection all over again. More reasons to use sidux - wireless changes not often needed except when roaming.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2024 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I roam on a daily basis...that's why I like networkmanager.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2024 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlmiller wrote:
I roam on a daily basis...that's why I like networkmanager.

If that is the case, then what is the big deal about remembering the password? I don't get it. Could you give me a more complete scenario of what you actually do with your systems?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: