USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Nero Linux 3.5.2.3
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Application News and Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melloe wrote:
I think it is great that Nero has a version for Linux. Three cheers for Nero.

I have never used the Linux version, as K3b has only once ever let me down in the hundreds of images I have burnt from ISO's and files to ISO's or data CD I have burnt, and that may have been my fault.

As for coasters, I don't ever remember K3b making me one.

I do have both Nero and Roxio, paid and OEM on the windows side, but seldom use them.

I have not had a need for a commercial CD and DVD burning tool. All of the free tools have worked for me, mostly k3b, but also braserro and even the old command line tools. I haven't used the command line to burn since the cdrecord days - haven't messed with wodim directly, but everything that I've used has worked fine.

Finances are tight right now with the job search, but I am still in favor of tools like this, even though I do not need it myself.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2024 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've never needed them either. Even in windows, I don't have any use for commercial burning applications. There's at least 2 VERY good freeware burning apps available that work great (CDBurnerXP and Ashampoo Burning Studio Free), so I have never bought a burning application. Not to mention, years ago when I DID have Nero (came with one of my pc's), I wasn't impressed. I'm sure things have changed, but the interface was rather bloated. Nowhere near as bloated as EasyCD Creator (don't remember who owned it then), but still bloated. Just didn't impress me. As long as they put the time and effort into making it worthwhile, I'm not opposed to commercial software for linux, in fact I wish more companies WOULD migrate their commercial software and make it available in linux. It's just not something I personally would ever consider paying for.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2024 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have at the least one copy of most of the common commercial, GNU/GPL and so called free versions of proprietary software applications for windows and Linux. I avoided shareware generally for the club and my use. But having bought at the least hundreds of CD and DVD devices over the years for builds and the club, I got an OEM copy of most burning software in most versions, some of it quite good on the windows side. In later years, I started trying GNU and GPL burning software for use with windows for the club. There was / is a multiple drawer cabinet full of Mainboard, and application software from over the years by category. I have culled out some of the older stuff, but saved some of it just for show and tell. I do still have older Novel, several DOS, Apple, early MAC, Zenith, tandy,desqview, MS 3.11, 95 1st and 2nd, 98 first only on box at this moment I can think of, ME, 2K, XP, mistahVISTAH, and now win7 on an appropiate machine. And software for most of it. I still had a copy of Lycoris and Mandrake 10 ( the last one ) till the HD died. ( still have the disks I think <G>< ) The various Linux and BSD's change over time. UNIX is solaris.

I also bought several commercial versions of software when it was the topic, including some of full versions of various burning programs.

The only thing I use MS burning software for generally is to make a copy of all mainboard software, application software ( including burning prigrams ), and an archive of the OS disk by client so when the box came back, and they did not know where there disks were, I could deal with it. More common than one would believe. <G><
I used to archive all my music onto CD's from whatever medium, but no longer do that as I stopped buying music when RIAA got into the act.

I generally use K3B to burn ISO's and ISO's to images. I have tried with varying degrees of success, some of it my ignorance , many other Linux burning programs with / in Gnome and KDE. On the video box I record some snippets of video to play with.

So when I talk about having software......

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Application News and Releases All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: