USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Desktop Wars II: h*** Freezes Over
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostdawg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2024 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get lost everytime I try to use KDE. For some reason, it seems hard to find what I need, so much clutter in the menus. I guess I'm just one of those die hard Gnome users. But KDE does have some pretty kool apps!

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2024 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdquick wrote:
KDE3 is still king of the window managers. GNOMEs belong in the garden, not on the desktop.

yup.

I picture Einstein as a KDE user. I picture Homer Simpson as a Gnome user.

Razz

bdquick
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2024 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germ wrote:
bdquick wrote:
KDE3 is still king of the window managers. GNOMEs belong in the garden, not on the desktop.

yup.

Razz

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

platinummonkey
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2024 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germ wrote:
bdquick wrote:

yup.

Razz

hrm, i dont think Einstein would be a kde user:
Albert Einsten wrote:
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.

I see Aristotle as a cli user Razz because he kick's it old-school Razz

USB Boot - Archlinux i686 kernel26 2.6.32.10-1 USB boot
richard
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used KDE when I first got started with Linux but I found it to be very unintuitive so I made the switch to Gnome and loved it. It hs the clean lines and functionality that I love and I have also found it runs better on lower spec machines than KDE.

lberg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard wrote:
I have also found it runs better on lower spec machines than KDE.

This is a current/in-the-present statement, right? Razz

A few years ago, I used KDE because it ran better on my low-end machine. Has GNOME gotten better? If so, good for GNOME! Smile

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject: Still use KDE Reply with quote

bdquick wrote:

/me ducks and runs

Neither KDE nor GNOME are "the king of window managers". IF you think the KDE implementation is the king of window managers, that would be 'kwin', not KDE because KDE is a desktop environment, which has its own window manager, kwin, that can, at least in theory, be replaced with other window managers.

This is actually more easily seen in GNOME, where I've seen Metacity and IceWM used, and at least one or two others over the years. GNOME is also a desktop environment, not a window manager.

I'd pick IceWM as my window manager of choice, KDE 3 as my desktop environment of choice, and XFCE as the desktop when I need something lighter than KDE but don't feel like using a window manager. For a while, XFCE was my preference, but lately, if I want something light, I use IceWM as my most frequently used window manager and otherwise, I use KDE 3 as my default desktop environment.

However, I'm with Tim. I think I still prefer KDE 4 to GNOME, though not by much. KDE 4.1.4 and KDE 4.2 RC are getting to be usable enough for at least the basics, but I will stick with KDE 3 for another six months or so and gradually move toward KDE 4 on a more regular basis as it continues to stabilize.

Cope57

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2024 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Openbox ftw! Razz

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2024 1:24 am    Post subject: What makes it useful? Reply with quote

Cope57 wrote:
Openbox ftw! Razz

What do you find appealing about Openbox, other than its modest size (which most window managers can also claim). Is it the appearance, or some particular features that you like? Could you elaborate?

I'm finding some of the alternative window managers to be of some value, but most of them are pretty small in capabilities unless either the distro vendor provides customizations, or you take the time to do them yourself. With that, which distros have you used Openbox with, and what was it about it that was useful?

Cope57

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2024 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a more lightweight Openbox session without any desktop environment or session manager.
Some use Openbox with a desktop environment such as a Gnome / Openbox or a KDE / Openbox environment.

Openbox is a window manager, not a desktop environment. Openbox is only responsible for maintaining the windows you open on your screen -- nothing else. That means installing Openbox won't give you easy menu access to wallpaper options, a taskbar or system panel, or most of those other doo-dads. It does, however, give you a framework to build incorporate other programs that do those things -- and usually with a greater degree of freedom over the style and interface.

Openbox can be used alone, without a desktop environment, or it can be used to replace the window manager in a complete desktop environment. Either way is acceptable. This way is the lightest and fastest type of desktop environment in my opinion.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2024 4:33 am    Post subject: Sounds good; here is what I use and why Reply with quote

That sounds pretty good. I go for IceWM myself when I do not have a need for a DE. Reasonably fast, light on resources, easy to customize by hand, but there are also tools available to customize it for me, should I choose to go that route. AntiX has the most customized IceWM implementation that I have ever seen, and they have another customized window manager that is very good, too, Fluxbox, which anticapitalista prefers.

As for Openbox, I've run across it a few times, and it seemed OK, though I did not see anything that would compel me personally to use it over IceWM. I use KDE and XFCE when I want a DE, and mostly IceWM when I prefer to go with a lighter WM.

Great to have alternatives, isn't it?

VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2024 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after using OS X for awhile all the linux WMs are such a let down Sad
I did play with KDE 4.1 a bit and liked the improvements I saw over KDE 4.0. The start menu was pretty "dumb" though and felt kind of hard to customize. For example if I searched for firefox the main hit wouldn't be the actual firefox application but some other random thing. And when I would manually select firefox it wouldn't remember this at all the next time I did a search.

MacBook: OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
jester

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2024 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote:
It'll be pretty funny watching how the less enlightened users of both user-bases slug this one out over the intertubes Wink

All credit, to the people here, we tend to be quite civilised in expressing our preferences.

well that was optimistic of me Wink
For the last 2 years I've used Openbox a lot, Gnome has been my back up and I still dabble with E17.

E17 is an interesting concept since it is positioned as a desktop shell. You get a WM and then a modular approach to building what you want on top of that. Admittedly, the parts aren't all ready yet (I know, still...), most notably EFM (the file manager). Technologically it is noteworthy for offloading a great deal of the GUI work onto the EFL (Enlightenment Foundation Library) so that even older/more modest hardware is capable of sporting some fairly dazzling eye-candy at entirely useable speeds.

My latest interest is the incredibly configurable fvwm2 - this one is part of the *nix furniture (as I'm sure pbharris will tell you); however, it takes some real work to squeeze all its tricks out - I'm facing quite an uphill task with it, but even the small fowards steps are very pleasing.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
inactive

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2024 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lberg wrote:
KDE3 was not bad. I only preferred GNOME over it for small, mostly visual/aesthetic reasons. But I like GNOME a lot more than KDE4. KDE4 just doesn't appeal to me.

Actually, I'm using Xubuntu on my slower laptop, and I'm really getting to like XFCE. At this point, I don't think it will replace GNOME for me, but it's a very nice DE that I will continue to use.

Being a very long-time gnome user, I have to say that I always prefer it over any DE.

HOWEVER,,, there were aspects of kde3 that I would use and like.

Now that kde4 is here, I want to puke. They've hosed kopete and amarok2, among several other things - what were they thinking when they released this garbage? We have dolphin for the default FM now when Konqueror blows its doors off hands down??? We have now "widgets" that require several more clicks to do one doggone thing that kde3 could do and do well???

No way. I am so so disgusted - Fedora just notified me today of 91 some-odd updates, to upgrade from kde4.1.4 to kde4.2. I opted to do it against my better judgement. The upgrade dumped, and I mean completely dumped, all of my kde settings (I've only been using two, count 'em two kde apps thus far in Fedora) completely dumped for me to start over with. Where are the files/settings I had with 4.1.4? Lord only knows. Had it warned me "WARNING U R GOIN' 2 LOSE UR KDE DESKTOP SETTINGS", I would have backed it all up.

My message histories in kopete - gone (and a lot of them are quite important).

My connections in kopete - gone, had to re-set them all up, other than yahoo i.m.

Amarok2 - still as ugly and dysfunctional (not to mention non-functional) as the day they first released it. I have NO options for having that small player for it (forget what it's called) on my desktop; I have to keep up the whole shootin' sh'bang Amarok2 window just to switch to another song that's down further on my playlist???

Doods, like dis be uglier than animals on crack!!:

Yes, I'm disgusted, whining, venting, etc. - u r kan keep ur kde4!!! and gimme back my gnome with kde3!!!

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2024 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you'd say that KDE 4, even with the latest updates, is still junk?

I can't speak for features that are remembered or forgotten, but I happen to be here with a community remastered version of SimplyMEPIS 8.0 Release Candidate 1 - NOT the standard version - it uses KDE 3.5.9/10, but a version remastered by a guy with the handle "Danum". He makes high quality remasters, and I went a long time before trying one, reading about them from others.

I am running this Danum version right now, and for my needs it runs fine. I have not gotten used to KDE 4 yet completely, but for what it does, I like it as well as GNOME. I would, however, still take KDE 3.5.9 (with 10 bug fixes), XFCE 4.4.3, or IceWM, a light window manager, or even a well configured LXDE over KDE 4. I will say that Danum did a good job with his build. This thing is NOT dumping core and bringing up error messages every five minutes like some - particularly Kubuntu versions and the very early openSUSE versions - did with frequency. Mandriva versions seem to have settled down a bit for me; I am thinking that Mandriva 2024.1 should be pretty decent, but I will make sure to grab IceWM, XFCE, and LXDE so I will have other alternatives when I use it.

Three cheers for Danum; an unofficial one man show on a community edition outdoes the big guys! Smile
Then again, he is standing on the shoulders of Warren Woodford, one of the best integrators in the business, and Debian repositories, the most stable collection of software in the world today.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: