USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Re-partitioning my Laptop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2024 3:47 am    Post subject: Re-partitioning my Laptop Reply with quote

I've got AntiX on sda6 with 4.88 Gb.

/dev/sda1 is 37+Gb extended
/dev/sda2 is 1Gb Linux Swap
/dev/sda3 - unknown fs - 9.32 Gb - /mnt/sda3
/dev/sda4 - reiserfs - 11.43 Gb - /mnt/hda4 - boot - Knoppix
/dev/sda5 - ext3 - 9.77 Gb - /mnt/hda5 (ubuntuCE?)
/dev/sda6 - ext3 - 4.88 Gb - / - AntiX -
/dev/sda7 - ext3 - 956.97 Mb - /mnt/sda7

This is what I would like to do, if possible. I would like to merge /sda3 and /sda4 to make one partition, as well, I would like to merge /sda5, /sda6, and possibly /sda7 to make one partition ...... all this without losing any data on /sda6 (AntiX). Is this possible? If not, I'll probably re-install. I forgot to mention, AntiX has gparted (which I detest) instead of cfdisk, so I will probably be asking some questions concerning that unless I can download cfdisk from the repos (a different thread) Wink.

I had chopped up this 40Gb HDD in anticipation of using 4 or 5 distros, but I've changed my mind and now I'll just use AntiX and/or sidux or Arch -- I may keep sda7 for Puppy, I haven't made up my mind about that yet.

AntiX works so great for wireless, I won't get rid of that soon unless I find that Puppy can take it's place, but I haven't had any experiences with Arch or sidux using wireless yet. Any advice concerning wireless with sidux and Arch would be appreciated, as would any advice or experiences concerning Arch and/or sidux on a Dell D600 laptop. My first experience with sidux on this laptop was not a happy one, but that doesn't mean I would trash-talk sidux without giving it another chance Wink Wink

jester

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2024 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@JP: I'd start over to be honest with you; that looks a bit of a mess.

With 40Gb I wouldn't go over 3 distros on that; I'd also push the extended to the back rather than have it on /dev/sda1. Another suggestion would be to put the distro with the greatest expected longevity on /dev/sda1; as we've discussed here before, you don't need 1G of swap, I'd go 512Mb.

Suggested scheme:
Code:
/dev/sda1  ext2  100M  #use this as a universal /boot to store all kernels - it makes manual grub editing a cinch
/dev/sda2  swap  512M  #if you have 1Gb or more of RAM you'll be wasting hdd space with anything bigger
/dev/sda3  ext3  15G  #install your preferred distro here except /boot and swap
/dev/sda4  extended  24.3G  #size should be roughly right
/dev/sda5  ext3  10G  #use this as a personal data store - if you're only keeping .confs, make it a lot smaller
/dev/sda6  ext3   7G  #alternate distro (A) but recycle your universal /boot and swap
/dev/sda7  ext3   7G  #alternate distro (B) but recycle your universal /boot and swap

notes
1. every man and his dog will have a different suggestion, so wait a while then pick and choose
2. I'd still not bother with more than 2 distros, better to get to know one or two inside out, as they say "jack of all trades, master of none"...
3. same point as #2 above but from a capacity POV - my gentoo / is at 14G used (but I have another 100G free) - some of that'll be dvd-isos, music files, photos - it fills up quickly, so I'd take one distro on that hardware personally
4. I use reiserfs3 but given where its creator is sitting for the foreseeable future I wouldn't recommend it; sure some people are maintaining it, but ext2/3 and now ext4 are getting a lot more code-scrutiny these days - IBM has all but given up on its own JFS I read somewhere
5. 'swap-size-wars' Rolling Eyes - a lot of FUD gets posted about this; 99% of people on this forum could switch their swap off and suffer no ill effects - my systems rarely touch swap - right now I'm at 237M of 4G of RAM, swap untouched - before you take advice from anyone else on 2G swaps and the like, ask them to post their free -m
6. /dev/sda3 - is that a Windows restore partition? You may want to clone that before you do anything
7. to make use of universal /boot and swap, I'll confess you're going to have to be the boss of the installer - for arch that won't be a problem, nor for a vanilla debian, but I can't speak for distros with all-singing-and-dancing automagic installers; I wouldn't actually carve the disk up before installing either, I'd keep the schema in mind and then build as I installed starting with the distro that I expected to keep the longest (assuming you disagree with #3 above)

I guess that's a bit more than 2 cents' worth Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jester
That looks good, as you point out, it will be easier to re-install and re-configure the partitions. I will only have the two main distros, other than when I said I might use Puppy, it would be used for "roaming wireless hookups" - to avoid hacking I just change the root password on a live CD -- that only needs a 1Gb (or less) place to put a pup_file that holds the config files and a little more so the disk can be used live Wink. The main will probably be Arch, it's becoming an easy distro for me now, and then I'll use sidux to back it up. I'll wait to see what others say about Puppy, Arch and sidux for wireless but if one of them works well with "roaming" wireless like Antix does, I'll drop AntiX, because I prefer the rolling releases (I hate having to download new versions every 6 months or so .... ) I like the layout you've mapped out, THX Very Happy Very Happy

jester

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@JP: you're welcome, if you're going the arch + sidux + pup, how about this
Code:
/dev/sda1  ext2  100M  #use this as a universal /boot to store all kernels - it makes manual grub editing a cinch
/dev/sda2  swap  512M  #if you have 1Gb or more of RAM you'll be wasting hdd space with anything bigger
/dev/sda3  ext3  23G  #install arch here except /boot and swap
/dev/sda4  extended  16.3G  #size should be roughly right
/dev/sda5  ext3  4G  #use this as a personal data store - if you're only keeping .confs, make it a lot smaller
/dev/sda6  ext3  2G  #puppy but recycle your universal /boot and swap
/dev/sda7  ext3  10.3G  #sidux but recycle your universal /boot and swap

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Re-partitioning my Laptop Reply with quote

JP wrote:
This is what I would like to do, if possible. I would like to merge

GPartEd Live CD
or
Parted Magic Live CD

Actually with the latest releases I like Parted Magic better. Both use gparted.

anticapitalista

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antiX is a rolling release in that you can apt-get update && apt-get upgrade/dist-upgrade to keep repos up to date as Debian Testing.

You will also be able to upgrade antiX-M7.5 to antiX-M8 via a script if you want some of the newer apps included/modified/improved.

BTW cfdisk is installed in antiX-M7.5

eriefisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2024 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My laptop has been running antiX since pre 7. I have never reinstalled it and I am now current to the available version of 8.

As for your partition scheme, I would keep it simple. I would install your primary OS to the first partition with grub in the mbr and /home in /. Make the second partition /swap, keeping it minimal. The third one would be a separate data partition to be mounted in /home of all OS's and would be the largest. Next would be extended so it can be chopped up for other OS's.

As for Puppy, I don't think it actually needs a partition. The file could just sit in the data partition and be booted from the primary grub. If you install grub of the secondary OS's to /root, they could just be added to the primary menu.lst and changed as you change the OS. None of this will ever effect the primary OS.

My $0.02.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2024 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anticapitalista wrote:
antiX is a rolling release in that you can apt-get update && apt-get upgrade/dist-upgrade to keep repos up to date as Debian Testing. I do that now Wink

You will also be able to upgrade antiX-M7.5 to antiX-M8 via a script if you want some of the newer apps included/modified/improved. Naw, I only need it for wireless when I'm roaming Smile The only apps I need are to hook up to the net and maybe an editor/notepad

BTW cfdisk is installed in antiX-M7.5. Ahh thanks, I've got it on now. I must not have been in superuser mode or something last nite, I tried cfdisk and it said "command not found" or something to that effect Laughing

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2024 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the simplicity comments. As far as saving and moving data, the best idea would be first to do some form of backup. I would say that is a must, especially if you are not well versed in how to use the various commands. Personally, I use tar most of the time when I back up. You may want to use something simpler, but if you do want to try a standard tool, tar works with pipes, filters, command grouping, and most of the other shell command conveniences, and that is one reason I like it.

For example:

(cd fromdir; tar cvpf - .) | (cd todir; tar xvpf -)

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masinick wrote:
I agree with the simplicity comments. As far as saving and moving data, the best idea would be first to do some form of backup. I would say that is a must, especially if you are not well versed in how to use the various commands. Personally, I use tar most of the time when I back up. You may want to use something simpler, but if you do want to try a standard tool, tar works with pipes, filters, command grouping, and most of the other shell command conveniences, and that is one reason I like it.

For example:

(cd fromdir; tar cvpf - .) | (cd todir; tar xvpf -)

Actually, there's nothing to save on the laptop, it was more for the experience than anything .... Germ gave me a good couple of links that I am studying. For me, the only way to learn, is to practice, practice, practice! I'm still a computer illiterate, so if I don't do something several times to get it into my head, I forget it in the next 24 hours and then I'm looking for tutorials again Sad Sad

jester has given me some pretty good hints on how to lay out the partition scheme, so I'll likely follow that design somewhat, but I still haven't heard any comments or opinions on how the wireless hookups for the rolling releases work in comparison to AntiX.

Right now, I'd like to hear more about how Puppy, sidux, and Arch react to "instantaneous" hookup when you are using the laptop as a mobile device. (In other words, when I go to Billings and stop (or park in their parking lot Wink ) at a wi-fi hotspot, or when I go to Eugene and stay at a Motel). I don't want to spend all of my time configuring the Internet, and AntiX takes care of that, I don't have to mess with anything or configure anything each time, it just works!!

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2024 11:19 pm    Post subject: wireless tools Reply with quote

For sidux, there is a command line tool called ceni, which I personally feel is one of the best, if not THE best wireless connectivity tool. If you are in the same place, it will remember settings from use to use. It can also be used for roaming. What is good about it is that when the connection is made, it doesn't wait another minute - it connects and releases.

AntiX includes mnetwork, ceni, and wicd. The wicd tool is arguably the best wireless GUI based tool around. Sadly, wicd recently made some rather significant changes and many existing implementations got messed up, resulting in a lot of questions - this was seem on Ubuntu forums, MEPIS, and AntiX forums. The fix is straightforward if you do get caught with an issue.

Some people have good results with knetworkmanager. It is truly easy to use, but I've seen occasional erratic behavior - connections bouncing up and down with it. Again, probably a configuration issue, but you have to ask the question why the distro did not just get it right to begin with?

Those are a few of the ones that I have used. There is also wifi-radar - cannot speak to it, and there are undoubtedly other tools as well.

eriefisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2024 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sidux has wpa_gui which gets some great reviews.

anticapitalista

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2024 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eriefisher wrote:

antiX-M8 has it too Smile

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2024 12:53 am    Post subject: Who has actually USED it? Reply with quote

anticapitalista wrote:
eriefisher wrote:

antiX-M8 has it too Smile

I can't speak to it --- YET --- but based on the comments, I will have to try it out.

Have any of you actually used wpagui (as it shows up in wpagui - GUI for wpa_supplicant)?

If it is superior to ceni and wicd then it must be awesome.

ghostdawg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use Partimage to clone those partitions and after you repartition the hard drive, restore the ones you want back into the new partition. I normally do this and clone mine onto an external drive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: