USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

[resolved] kbuildsycoca, kded use copious amounts of mem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g33kb0ard3r

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2024 12:13 am    Post subject: [resolved] kbuildsycoca, kded use copious amounts of mem Reply with quote

Yeah, so when it has been a long time since I last used a KDE program in fluxbox, kbuildsycoca and then kded (not at the same time) will take up ~90% of my memory (including swap), making my computer almost completely unresponsive.

I've read about this, but it seems this is unique in that I use KDE programs without acutally running KDE. Apparently it has something to do with the system configuration changing?

Can anyone help me out with this?

Last edited by g33kb0ard3r on Wed Mar 25, 2024 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
g33kb0ard3r

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2024 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I'm pretty sure that this is causing kdeprintd to not start at all; I can't print from kword.

Quote:
A print error occurred. Error message received from system:

Unable to start child print process. The KDE print server (kdeprintd) could not be contacted. Check that this server is running.

lberg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2024 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article might be worth looking at. At the very least, it will be an interesting read.... at most, it might explain part/all of your problem.

It's just loading all the KDE libs that is taking up your resources?... but since it uses swap too, it makes stuff fishy.... well, depending on how much memory/swap you have. Razz

Sorry I can't help more... Sad That article was really all I could find while googling around for stuff regarding your problem. Hope you get it worked out soon. Smile

g33kb0ard3r

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2024 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, to be honest, that article didn't help one bit Smile. Thanks, though. Yeah, my problem is only with the KDE kbuildsycoca and kded- I just thought that it would be worth mentioning that I wasn't actually RUNNING KDE. I know it's not the combo also because this just started happening in the last couple of days- I've been happily running fluxbox/KDE programs since installing Slack on this machine Smile. (I really should learn how to use rpm and grab OO.org, though. Kword/Kpresenter is a bit... lacking in the compatibility-with-MS field.)

I guess I could add a little more to that description, though- kbuildsycoca and kded only run before a program starts up- once they're both done doing their thing, the program starts/runs normally.

Hasn't anyone had these two act up before? (and know how to fix them Wink?)

lberg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2024 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's fine, I didn't think it would help that much.

inactive

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2024 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: are you running these things as root, or regular user?

Also, using rpm isn't all that hard - just type "rpm" (without the quotes) into a terminal and it will give the options. Most of the time, it's a matter of "rpm -ivh rpmfilename" without the quotes), as in:
Code:
su
enter your root password
rpm -ivh nerolinux-3.5.1.0-x86.rpm

This is just an example. You might want to check though that it's not in your distribution's repositories first. If it is, then use the command for that package manager.

FYI: kbuildsycoca has been a bone of contention for a few since KDE4.

g33kb0ard3r

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2024 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KDE programs are being run as user, and I assume kbuildsycoca is also. To my understanding, kded is a daemon, and thus runs in the background (not connected to any one user), correct? Which brings up an interesting point- why does kbuildsycoca cause kded to use so much memory all of a sudden- is it actually giving it something to do at that time?

DedannaRocks!-I tried several times to download OO.org, but it keeps getting corrupted! Perhaps I will watch for the next stable release and see if I can get a good download then. I will use rpm eventually Smile.

Last edited by g33kb0ard3r on Wed Mar 11, 2024 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
g33kb0ard3r

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2024 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
bash-3.1$ amarok
Amarok: [Loader] Starting amarokapp..
Amarok: [Loader] Don't run gdb, valgrind, etc. against this binary! Use amarokap
p.
kbuildsycoca running...
Reusing existing ksycoca
Amarok: [Loader] Amarok is taking a long time to load! Perhaps something has gon
e wrong?
DCOP aborting (delayed) call from 'anonymous-3907' to 'kded'
kded: ERROR: Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed.
kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x8095230 ): KAccel object alr
eady contains an action name "play_pause"
QLayout "unnamed" added to QVBox "unnamed", which already has a layout
kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x8095230 ): KAccel object alr
eady contains an action name "play_pause"
QLayout: Adding KToolBar/mainToolBar (child of QVBox/unnamed) to layout for PlaylistWindow
/PlaylistWindow
QObject::connect: Incompatible sender/receiver arguments
        StarManager::ratingsColorsChanged() --> ContextBrowser::ratingOrScoreOrLabelsChang
ed(const QString&)
bash-3.1$ kio (KIOConnection): ERROR: Could not write data
kio_http_debug: WARNING: (3942) Can't communicate with kded_kcookiejar!
kio (kioslave): WARNING: Can't communicate with kded_kpasswdserver!
QObject::disconnect: Unexpected null parameter
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::activePartChanged( KParts::Part * ) to KHTMLPart:
:slotActiveFrameChanged( KParts::Part * )
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 3941, errno = 11
bash-3.1$

This is what I get when I run amarok from a shell. I don't know if it helps, but I figure it is worth a shot.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2024 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought g33kb0ard3r, on a related vein: have you looked into Songbird? http://www.getsongbird.com/

I mention this because I am searching for a new media player after removing XMMS. I've been getting a little bored with Amarok being such a screen hog, and I came across Songbird. Songbird is not much better, graphically speaking, as it uses the familiar Firefox UI (and most skins). Songbird requires plugins and external media programs for the media instead of trying to integrate a conversion engine into itself. Honestly, though I didn't see why you were abusing your system and yourself with ksycocacoocoo.

g33kb0ard3r

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2024 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Honestly, though I didn't see why you were abusing your system and yourself with ksycocacoocoo.

Because it came standard and I'm too lazy to go about changing it.... That's about it. (Although it might actually be less work if I just migrated to GNOME programs- I was running fluxbox/GNOME on Ubuntu before I installed Slackware. Hmm.)

inactive

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2024 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Gnome user myself. Have been for several years - at least since... what, 2024?

Have never regretted it. I know that a lot don't like it, but Rhythmbox isn't a bad player.

inactive

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2024 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, did I mention that kbuildsycoca has been a bone of contention?

I can't figure that one out to save my life. On the one hand, I think it's a KDE4-specific issue, on the other hand I think it's a broken mount issue, but then on the other hand, I think it's / is full.

Argh! I hate KDE4!!!

g33kb0ard3r

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2024 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I just tried to compile GNOME... Not a good Idea, broke right away. It seems like this computer just doesn't like to compile things- I get a make error more often then not. Now to reinstall KDE (/usr is on a dedicated partition and there's not enough room for both).

EDIT: By the way, its KDE 3.5.10. Now off to Washington D.C. for a week: Band Trip! w00t!

inactive

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2024 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What distribution are you trying to install it from? Does that distribution not have its own packages for Gnome? Why are you trying to compile Gnome, vs. what you can install from the distribution you're running?

g33kb0ard3r

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2024 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am installing it (do you mean Gnome or KDE?) into Slackware. No, Slackware does not have repositories other than what comes on the cd's. KDE is all that is offered in Slackware 12.2 (I believe Gnome was the desktop environment in earlier versions). I have looked at slackbuilds.org but they do not offer a slackbuild. (They are the unofficial repositories.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Window Managers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: