USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Test Release Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2024 4:58 pm    Post subject: TinyMe and salix 13.0 Live are on my list Reply with quote

I have the PCLinuxOS 2024 release going now on three systems; I have SimplyMEPIS and antiX in their 8.5 release forms going on two systems, and I've had a test version of Kubuntu 10.04 going for a while now, and I've upgraded it a couple of times during the testing cycle and it is looking good.

Two of them that I have not worked with in a while are TinyMe (which I tested several times many months ago, along with a much more recent test of Unity Linux that I liked quite a bit) and Salix, which I'd like to try in the Live form that came out today. There is an early test release, which Melloe mentioned - the Alpha 1 form of salix 13.1, but the Live CD release of 13.0, with Slackware CURRENT as the repo and functionality about equivalent to 13.0.2, might be a more compelling version for Slackware fans short on free time (like me) to try out. Hopefully I will get a chance to tap these two some time this week.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2024 8:16 pm    Post subject: GnackTrack BETA Reply with quote

I have been on PC/OS with Thor and now wth mell0 ( e.g INTEL and now AMD ) using Chrome. All of which takes some getting used to. Nice and nice artwork.

GnackTrack BETA
GnackTrack is a Live (and installable) Linux distibution designed for Penetration Testing and is based on Ubuntu. Although this sounds like BackTrack, it's most certainly not; it's very similar but based on the much loved GNOME! http://www.gnacktrack.co.uk/

For more information and specifics please read the FAQs or send me an email

http://www.gnacktrack.co.uk/download.html

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated SuSE 11.3 M4 and got 1500 packages, almost 2.5 gigs.
Now have 2.6.34-6 updated to 2.6.34-rc5.6 kernel, K3b 3.3.7, FF 3.6.4, and on and on. Pretty impressive. Even at 1 MB/s for big files, it took a while.

Looking good, working good.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject: NimbleX 2024 Beta Reply with quote

Development Release: NimbleX 2024 Beta
NimbleX Bogdan Radulescu has announced the availability of a beta release of NimbleX 2024, a Slackware-based live CD with KDE 4: "After a long wait, a new NimbleX version is finally out. Many things have changed, hopefully for the better in the long run. First of all, after about 5 years, the idea of keeping it limited to less than 200 MB was dropped. There is a lot more in the distro right now so it should make the user experience better. Even though almost everything is new, we can still say the major changes include: Linux kernel 2.6.33 with the latest Squashfs and Aufs 2; X.Org Server 1.7.5; new applications - OpenOffice.org instead of KOffice, a lot more of the KDE Games, GIMP, VirtualBox, Firefox, Transmission, GParted and other applications where updated to the latest versions; new desktop environment - KDE 4 is now mature enough to provide an overall better user experience." Read the full release announcement for more details. http://www.nimblex.net/?option=com_content&task=view&id=117&Itemid=1
Download links at bottom of page

Or download the live CD image from distrowatch
NimbleX-2010_Beta.iso (401MB).

NimbleX is no longer 200 MB, and possibly not quite as nimble <G><
Worth a try

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2024 11:52 pm    Post subject: Mandriva Linux 2024.1 Beta 2 Reply with quote

Development Release: Mandriva Linux 2024.1 Beta 2
Mandriva Linux Anne Nicholas has announced the availability of the second beta release of Mandriva Linux 2024.1: "We are now very near the final release. Here comes the second beta release for 2024.1 version of Mandriva Linux. As usual you will be able to test it as it's available on your favorite public mirror. This second beta release comes with many updates and improvements on major software packages. Mandriva tools have also been updated and provide new functionality: data encryption - encrypt your home directory or your system, it's as easy as click; parental control - many bug fixes, you can now control not only network access but also applications; network profiles - add your network services to your network profiles; Mandriva Directory Server - this release provides new functionality to help you manage an LDAP directory." See the release announcement http://blog.mandriva.com/2010/04/30/mandriva-linux-2010-spring-beta2-is-available-for-tests/
and release notes for more information. http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2010.1_Beta2

Download http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2010.1_Beta2#Availability
(the "One" live CD images won't be available until Monday):

mandriva-linux-free-2010-spring-i586.iso (4,326MB, MD5), mandriva-linux-free-2010-spring-x86_64.iso (4,384MB, MD5).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject: Frugalware Linux 1.3 Pre 1 Reply with quote

NEW • Development Release: Frugalware Linux 1.3 Pre 1
Frugalware Linux Miklós Vajna has announced the availability of the first pre-release of Frugalware Linux 1.3, a general-purpose distribution for intermediate and advanced users: "The Frugalware developer team is pleased to announce the immediate availability of Frugalware 1.3pre1, the first technical preview of the upcoming 1.3 stable release. Here are some of the major improvements and changes since 1.2: for the first time in the history of Frugalware Linux, we're offering an official graphical 'netinstall' image, search for the '-gui' suffix on the FTP mirrors; this time we've verified that no workaround is needed to install this release in VMware and because of this, the relevant note is removed from the documentation; package updates: Linux kernel 2.6.33, GNOME 2.30, KDE 4.4.2, updated all the E17 packages (version 0.9.9.063); more than 1,000 package updates; exactly 100 new packages." Here is the full release announcement. http://www.frugalware.org/news/170 20 Cd's or 2 DVD's available

Download http://frugalware.org/download/frugalware-testing-iso
Or DVD1 at www,distrowatch.com
(SHA1): frugalware-1.3pre1-i686-dvd1.iso (4,266MB, torrent).

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2024 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debian Sid, by its very nature, being only a perpetual rolling release of recently added packages, does not have release notes that I have seen - but one day before too long (hopefully) we will see release notes on Debian Squeeze, the next release after Debian Lenny. In the meantime, a late Alpha or perhaps even midrange Beta milestone has been met. At long last, Debian Sid now has KDE SC 4.4.3, the third monthly update to the KDE SC 4.4 release. Several "brethren" on the MEPIS Lovers Forum, who, like me, not only test MEPIS, but also run both Testing and Sid distributions as well, have confirmed today that Debian Sid not only has KDE SC 4.4.3-1, but that as of today it is working well. The MEPIS Lovers Forum user, Danum, who tracks KDE releases closely, has been watching KDE SC 4.4 ever since the release, and has noted its gradual presence in the Experimental repositories. He knows not only the basics, he knows the intricacies of the packages, and I know that because for the past two, almost three years now he has been building custom distributions, mostly remastered works of SimplyMEPIS, containing snapshots of KDE releases.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 6 Reply with quote

NEW • Development Release: openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 6
openSUSE Andreas Jaeger has announced that the sixth milestone release of openSUSE 11.3 is ready for testing: "Milestone 6 (M6), a snapshot of the Factory 'work in progress' build, leading up to openSUSE 11.3 release in July, is now available for download. M6 is the first release during the 'Stabilizing Freeze' - focus has transitioned away from the inclusion of new features and applications toward increasing stability and usability. To that end, 162 bugs were resolved during the M5 - M6 time frame. Updates: the 'radeon' video driver has superseded 'radeonhd', providing KMS/DRI support; using the 'radeon' video driver on an Atom-based system no longer causes graphical corruption; CUPS 1.4.2 now works properly on 64-bit systems...." Read the rest of the release announcement for a full list of all major changes. http://news.opensuse.org/2010/05/03/opensuse-11-3-milestone-6-the-dust-begins-to-settle/

Download (mirrors): http://software.opensuse.org/developer/en
Or at www.distrowatch.com
openSUSE-KDE-LiveCD-Build0577-i686.iso (682MB, MD5, torrent), openSUSE-GNOME-LiveCD-Build0577-i686.iso (690MB, MD5, torrent), openSUSE-KDE-LiveCD-Build0577-x86_64.iso (692MB, MD5, torrent), openSUSE-GNOME-

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2024 7:43 pm    Post subject: Linux Mint 9 RC Reply with quote

NEW • Development Release: Linux Mint 9 RC
Linux Mint Clement Lefebvre has announced that the first release candidate for Linux Mint 9 is out and ready for testing: "The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 9 'Isadora' RC. New features at a glance: new Software Manager - 30,000 packages, review applications straight from the Software Manager, APT daemon, visual improvements; new backup tool - incremental backups, compression, integrity checks; menu improvements - editable items, transparent menu, always start with favorites, 'Add to' shortcuts; desktop settings - changes apply immediately, additional options; better look and feel - backgrounds, welcome screen, Update Manager; system improvements - Windows installer, Husse quotes, USB Creator, default software selection...." See the release announcement http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1386
and the what's new page for a detailed list of new featuresi http://www.linuxmint.com/ with screenshots. http://linuxmint.com/rel_isadora_whatsnew.html

Download http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.html?id=52
(MD5): linuxmint-9-gnome-rc-i386.iso (673MB, torrent), linuxmint-9-gnome-rc-amd64.iso (673MB, torrent).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2024 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded and installed Mint 9 RC on an "old"HP OEM P4 ( 32 bit ) INTEL box on a second HD with epidemic and the recovery ( I did ) of XP that is toasted.

I don't usually do Gnome if there is an alternative. As the alternate is CE, and will be a while, I thought I would give it a whirl. I am impressed with the effort. The installer is simple, and easy to manage. I have the same complaint ( from a NooB perspective ) about the default automatic size for the know nothing NooB who choses ( or takes the default choice ) of a single partition, as I have with several distros that have forgotten how the first attempts are... That needs to be updated to match todays size after a few updates.

Otherwise, a great effort. Two thumbs ujp

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2024 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Mint 9 RC looks like a good release. Too bad I have so many systems in my queue to test. I may or may not get to this one.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2024 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandriva Test got 561 packages this AM with KDE 4.4.3.1 and a new 2.6.33 kernel !!!

Looking good, working good. after restarting a couple times.....the later ones its doing not mine <G><

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2024 11:21 am    Post subject: Slackware Linux 13.1 Beta 1 Reply with quote

NEW • Development Release: Slackware Linux 13.1 Beta 1
Slackware Linux Patrick Volkerding has announced that the Slackware development branch, called "Current", has now reach beta status: "Hi folks! We have some pretty big changes today, with an update to the latest KDE SC 4.4.3, and the addition of support for ConsoleKit and PolicyKit which have been enhanced to use shadow authentication. Thanks to Andrew Psaltis for doing some great work on polkit-1, and to Robby Workman for spending months following the sometimes random developments coming from the CK/PK camp. Thanks to Eric Hameleers for leading the KDE 4.4.x Slackware development and handling the out-of-tree testing. http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/ And with that, we're calling this Slackware 13.1 BETA1. A stable release should be just around the corner." See the changelog http://www.slackware.com/changelog/current.html?cpu=i386 for a detailed list of all changes since the release of version 13.0. As always, there are no official ISO images of Slackware beta releases, but recent unofficial builds of Slackware "Current" can be downloaded from here ftp://ftp.slackware.no/linux/slackware/slackware-current-iso/

(MD5): slackware-current-04_May_2010-DVD.iso (1,822MB), slackware64-current-04_May_2010-DVD.iso (1,758MB).

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2024 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Slackware Linux 13.1 Beta 1 Reply with quote

melloe wrote:
NEW • Development Release: Slackware Linux 13.1 Beta 1
Slackware Linux Patrick Volkerding has announced that the Slackware development branch, called "Current", has now reach beta status: "Hi folks! We have some pretty big changes today, with an update to the latest KDE SC 4.4.3, and the addition of support for ConsoleKit and PolicyKit which have been enhanced to use shadow authentication. Thanks to Andrew Psaltis for doing some great work on polkit-1, and to Robby Workman for spending months following the sometimes random developments coming from the CK/PK camp. Thanks to Eric Hameleers for leading the KDE 4.4.x Slackware development and handling the out-of-tree testing. http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/ And with that, we're calling this Slackware 13.1 BETA1. A stable release should be just around the corner." See the changelog http://www.slackware.com/changelog/current.html?cpu=i386 for a detailed list of all changes since the release of version 13.0. As always, there are no official ISO images of Slackware beta releases, but recent unofficial builds of Slackware "Current" can be downloaded from here ftp://ftp.slackware.no/linux/slackware/slackware-current-iso/

(MD5): slackware-current-04_May_2010-DVD.iso (1,822MB), slackware64-current-04_May_2010-DVD.iso (1,758MB).

This ought to be a REALLY good Slackware release! Though the rest of the Slackware release perhaps does not justify an entirely new release number, this one ought to really be instrumental because KDE 4 SC is now really solid. The Slackware 13.0 release represents a pretty good version though, too.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2024 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presently do not have a working copy of vanilla Slack. Couple of clones.
The hard drive that says slackware on my tag now has something else. <no grin > Its an 40 gig PATA, if I remember correctly, so goes way back puter time .

Late night session I suppose. So! I think I will give 13.1, or whatever, a run.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 18 of 21

Jump to: