USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Gentoo clones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2024 4:25 am    Post subject: Pentoo 2024.0 Reply with quote

NEW • Distribution Release: Pentoo 2024.0
pentoo Michael Zanetta has announced the release of Pentoo 2024.0, a Gentoo-based live CD featuring a selection of applications and tools designed to perform penetration testing: "Pentoo 2024.0 final is there. Nights after nights, we polished this version, and it looks really nice. The most notable changes: new Linux kernel 3.6.31.6 with Aufs and Squashfs-LZMA; new WiFi stack 2.6.32-rc7 with injection and fragmentation patches; QEMU with virt-manager so you can play some virtual machines in there; lots of tools updates (MSF, exploit-db, Kismet, SQLmap, Firefox and add-ons); some tools additions (Airpwn, Wapiti, PPPd) and some graphics fixes (NVIDIA, Intel); enhanced cracking software (NTLM/MD4/MD5 CUDA brute force cracker; WPA PSK rainbow tables generation accelerated through CUDA, STREAM or PADLOCK; John The Ripper with MPI support)." Visit the project's home page to read the complete release announcement. http://www.pentoo.ch/

Download: http://www.pentoo.ch/download/
or at www.distrowatch.com
pentoo-i686-2009.0.iso (666MB, MD5, pentoo-x86_64-2009.0.iso (698MB, MD5).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran Pentoo live and found it interesting. The theme and aim is not that which I need, but some had great tools for dealing with the web.
http://newbieslinux.com/forum/?webtag=DEFAULT&msg=652.9644

It is definitely fast once up for a live. I would give it a thumbs up..great effort
If the tools were that which I needed, I would be even more enthusiastic.

jester

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Funtoo Reply with quote

melloe wrote:
Funtoo Builds

* Info: Funtoo is a Gentoo Linux variant maintained by Daniel Robbins. Funtoo has its own git-based Portage tree that tracks the upstream Gentoo tree.

>>> NEW! Funtoo STABLE builds:
NEW! core2 - Built Yesterday
NEW! amd64 - Built 4 days ago
NEW! opteron - Built 5 days ago
NEW! x86 - Built 6 days ago

http://www.funtoo.org/

I already switched my existing gentoo to point at the funtoo repos along with a conversion to ext4 but today I built a funtoo install from the ground up aiming for minimalism.

It's taken the best part of the day since so much (openrc, funtoo networking, etc) was new to me.

I now have openbox on funtoo64 (stage3 install), / on ext4, with very little else. My 'converted' gentoo64 install (another partition) is about 4 years old and I have to say feeling a little 'crufty'. This fresh ground up minimalist install feels very nice, though I still have a lot of tweaking to do.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but it was fun to do a funtoo/gentoo install today.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2024 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like Funtoo/gentoo. there is just something so simple and easy about the setup.

but it takes time...... I've done quite a few installs and it is always at least four hours to get the base system up and running. then, depending on the wm/dm i choose, one to two days before it is usable as a desktop.

ArchLinux i686 - Dell Presario ze2000 (w/ shattered LCD)

PuppyLinux, CloneZilla, PartedMagic, DBAN - rescue thumbdrives
Windows 7 (x86_64 desktop alternate boot)
jester

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2024 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got bitten by a couple of things - one was getting a 2.6.32 kernel to give me working ethernet interfaces, and another was not spotting the 'gallium' flag on mesa.

I worked chrooted from Arch64 and made my decisions as I went along rather than having a grand plan of attack.

I've gone back to openbox and I know I'll be tweaking the last 2% continuously Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2024 5:03 am    Post subject: Toorox 01.2010 Reply with quote

Distribution Release: Toorox 01.2010
Toorox Joern Lindau has released Toorox 01.2010, a Gentoo-based distribution and live DVD with the latest KDE 4, a graphical system installer, and advanced networking capabilities: "With the beginning of this new year it's time for a new release. With the release of Toorox 01.2010 you can get a 64-bit edition, too. It contains the 2.6.32 kernel and the KDE was updated to version 4.3.4. The Toorox installer is now able to set up your /home folder on another partition and you can install the bootloader into a single partition or a floppy disk. There's a new entry in Systemconfig - Mobile Broadband, where you can configure your mobile UMTS connection and bring it up. All packages for a PPTP VPN connection were included and you can configure it via NetworkManager and the nm applet. KFTPgrabber was replaced with gFTP and there is a new audio mixer - mixxx." See the full release announcement for further details. http://toorox.de//en/news/1-latest-news/29-toorox-geht-64

Download: http://toorox.de//en/download
Or at www.distrowatch.com
Toorox_01.2010_32-Bit.iso (1,886MB), Toorox_01.2010_64-Bit.iso (1,861MB).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2024 5:51 am    Post subject: VLOS 2.0 Beta 1 Reply with quote

NEW • Development Release: VLOS 2.0 Beta 1
VLOS The first beta of VLOS 2.0, a Gentoo-based desktop Linux distribution, is now available for download and testing: "We are proud to announce the first beta release of the upcoming VLOS 2.0 live DVD. Changelog: NVIDIA and ATI drivers now automatically detected and configured; VLOS now mounts NTFS drives automatically; Compiz enabled when 3D card is available; updated to Linux kernel 2.6.32; Flash and Java plugins now installed by default; Gwibber Twitter client, Pitivi video editor, OpenOffice.org, WINE, Hulu desktop, Inkscape and GIMP now installed by default; synchronize your iPod Touch and iPod 3G with latest gtkpod + iFuse; instant messengers - Skype, Emesene, Empathy or Pidgin; manage your photos with F-spot." Here is the complete release announcement. http://os.vidalinux.org//Vlos-2.0_beta1

Interested alpha testers can Download the live DVD images via BitTorrent: http://www.nexenta.org/projects/site/wiki/DownloadUnstable
Or at www.distrowatch.com
Vidalinux_2.0_beta1_i686.iso (1,301MB, MD5), Vidalinux_2.0_beta1_amd64.iso (1,400MB

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2024 1:57 am    Post subject: Calculate Linux 10.2 Reply with quote

NEW • Distribution Release: Calculate Linux 10.2
Alexander Tratsevskiy announced the availability of Calculate Linux 10.2, a Gentoo-based distribution from Russia for desktops and servers: "What's new in Calculate Linux 10.2: Added support for creating Live USB system using UNetbootin; Support to create a binary kernel package from calculate-sources; New installation options - scheduler choice (--set-scheduler) and choice of UUID partition labels (--set-uuid); Reduced requirements for RAM when installing the system; In CLD Firefox changed under the style of 'Oxygen', added spellchecking dictionary; Add e-book reader FBReader in CLD/CLDX; Add OpenOffice Thumbnail plugin in the CLD; In CDS accelerated samba server, overcome 2TB limit in share; New tool cl-kernel for compilation kernel; Add support for Canon printers; Add support for 16-bit PCMCIA cards (modems and Serial cards) and Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller." The release announcement in Russian and in English. http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/calculate-89/calculate-linux-desktop-10.2-released-788916/

The various Calculate editions are available for download from a number of mirrors; http://www.calculate-linux.org/main/en/download
Or the desltop version at www.distrowatch.com
here are the quick links to the CLD edition: cld-10.2-i686.iso (1,702MB, MD5, torrent), cld-10.2-x86_64.iso (1,811MB, MD5, torrent).

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2024 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Toorox 01.2010 Reply with quote

melloe wrote:
Distribution Release: Toorox 01.2010
Toorox Joern Lindau has released Toorox 01.2010, a Gentoo-based distribution and live DVD with the latest KDE 4, a graphical system installer, and advanced networking capabilities: "With the beginning of this new year it's time for a new release. With the release of Toorox 01.2010 you can get a 64-bit edition, too. It contains the 2.6.32 kernel and the KDE was updated to version 4.3.4.

Looks too interesting for me to not test it. Downloading now.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2024 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried most of them, but don't recall trying this one.

Let us know how it works.

DocZayus
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Sabayon last night, but I can't seem to find where to throttle my CPU, because it is heating up like there's no tomorrow...

I love my laptop, but the heat that is dissipating underneath is cooking my thighs...

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2024 4:49 pm    Post subject: Sabayon Help Reply with quote

DocZayus
RE Sabayon and heat, ask here maybe
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/?title=Getting_Help_In_IRC

I do like and use Sabayon, but don't do any mobile stuff. I am No help
also a blog

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2024 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toorox 64 bit...

Negatives:

-Later in the boot, well after the hardware discovery phase (which is based on the Knoppix routines), Toorox felt that it had to iterate through over a dozen common devices before it found the proper IDE device which held my installation DVD (10 seconds each cycle: setup a candidate drive, communicate with it, decide the candidate isn't the correct device, fail and possible deconfigure, repeat with next device guess... isn't the proper device already known, at this point? Wouldn't a simple "which bash" tell the installer the path into the live DVD, since the DVD is already mounted?);

-Boots into a German based user environment, I'll need to research how to change that, and I couldn't read the error messages in German (at the boot options screen, I selected english, so the environment should make later decisions based on that initial selection);

-fwcutter fails to setup my Broadcom 4306R3 based wifi card, because, according to the boot messages, fwcutter needs to go onto the Internet to get the drivers which I need (maybe I can offer it my windows driver but I don't know because I can't read German);

-On my hardware, the Plasma Desktop segfaults; I know this because the error message says "Plasma-Desktop ... segfault". Is that even in German?

On the plus side, Toorox got KDE working up until Plasma segfaulted, so that means X was good; sound worked, the mouse was working, and a console was functional at ctrl-alt-F1 (but the man pages were in German, and as mentioned earlier, the keyboard was a German layout).

Jada would probably like this one.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmna
Thanks. I can deal with Deutsch well enough to find the exit, and that is about it ...so I think I will pass. My year of College German ( in the 50's ) and total of about 5 years in country wore pretty thin after 50 years

Here with Calculate CLD xfce. This is about a good'ern. The live is a winner, the install takes a bit of work. They out a GUI installer on this one it would surpass many for ease of use..

Live is worth a look see if nothing else.

Last edited by melloe on Wed Feb 24, 2024 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
DocZayus
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sabayon Help Reply with quote

melloe wrote:
DocZayus
RE Sabayon and heat, ask here maybe
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/?title=Getting_Help_In_IRC

I do like and use Sabayon, but don't do any mobile stuff. I am No help
also a blog

Thanks buddy.
Gonna look at that now.

Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: