USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Ubuntu Server Problem
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Servers and Server Administration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jascotty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Ubuntu Server Problem Reply with quote

To start, this is what i have:
Ubuntu server 9.04 32-bit with Ubuntu desktop
(i like a gui interface more then just a console)
machine: 1.13Ghz, 630 MB RAM, 4 HDs (set to auto-mount in fstab)

The machine is fairly old, but runs the os fine
I had the server almost completely configured and so far had samba shares and remote administration (ssh and ebox) complete

In an effort to work with the desktop remotely, i configured the machine to automatically login (vnc wouldn't work if no user was logged in)

I then ran & installed updates, then rebooted

After it rebooted, i could access the ssh, samba, and ebox, but the vnc connection was refused

I went to the server to see if there was anything wrong, and the screen was black, with the mouse

I've tried editing /etc/gmb/gmb.conf , but it still stops after starting the mouse. the mouse works, but there is nothing else on the screen

What is wrong with my machine, and is there a way to fix it (other than starting over (done that already)) ???

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2024 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu Server Problem Reply with quote

jascotty wrote:
What is wrong with my machine, and is there a way to fix it (other than starting over (done that already)) ???

Where's mr. ed when you need him Question

I don't *buntu jascotty and I don't have a server, so I'm sorry I can't give you a hand ..... but I can welcome you to the LUG .....

Welcome to USALUG jascotty, Glad to have you here!
I'm sure one of our *buntu GURU's will be along soon to help you out ....... hang in there!

platinummonkey
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2024 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu Server Problem Reply with quote

jascotty wrote:
the screen was black, with the mouse

sounds like X is failing on you.

start there. There could be a million reasons why. Your best bet would be to run:
Code:
killall /usr/bin/X; /etc/init.d/gdm restart
# this will kill all graphical environments and hopefully restart X and give you the login window again.
if it still doesn't come up. Reconfigure X. There are a million how-to's and it takes only a few minutes.

USB Boot - Archlinux i686 kernel26 2.6.32.10-1 USB boot
jascotty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2024 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i run killall /usr/bin/X; /etc/init.d/gdm restart # i get:
/usr/bin/X: no process killed
* Stopping GNOME Display Manager... [ OK ]
* Starting GNOME Display Manager... [fail]

also, there is no change on the computer

i'm wondering if this is somehow connected with the updates .... could one of the updates ave a hardware conflict?
if so, is it possible to go back to the older versions?

side note: i tried installing sendEmail to notify me when the machine starts up to what the ip is, but it fails when trying to connect to the mail server. could that be a symptom of anything?

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2024 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm....

thats odd....

can you post or link to /var/log/Xorg.0.log and if it exists /var/log/Xorg.8.log those should have some info that would help.

ArchLinux i686 - Dell Presario ze2000 (w/ shattered LCD)

PuppyLinux, CloneZilla, PartedMagic, DBAN - rescue thumbdrives
Windows 7 (x86_64 desktop alternate boot)
nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what lord.dragonfly said. The logs would be useful.

With regard to the IP address, can you not set a static lease on your dhcp server/router?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jascotty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2024 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the log is a bit big, so i put it on a file sharing service : http://wikisend.com/download/437288/Xorg.0.log
(i also included Xorg.0.log.old at the end of the file)

about the ip.... a static lease I'm sure would cost extra, and unnecessary if i can get sendEmail to work
it works fine on the laptop i use to access the server, but the server times out while attempting to contact the mail server
( if it helps any, this is the code:
ifconfig eth0 | sendEmail -f -----server@gmail.com -t -----@gmail.com -o -u IP Notification -v -s smtp.gmail.com:587 -xu -----server@gmail.com -xp -----
)

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2024 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah sorry, I thought this was on a LAN rather than straight onto the internet. You should be careful about using VNC over the internet as well, can be a bit of a security risk.

With the command, one possible issue (not familiar with the sendEmail command) is the subject setting... wouldn't the shell interpret it as two different options? Maybe wrap it in quotes (e.g. -u "IP Notification").

How are you logging in automatically? is it actually starting a session? (i.e. do you have a configured xsession or xinitrc) Once the session is up how are you starting vnc? (presumably vnc produces a log as well).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jascotty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2024 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, whether it's over LAN, the internet, or even working on the computer, i still can't work with the desktop
as i said, the screen is black, with just the mouse

the sendEmail command works on my laptop, just as i wrote it (at least, with my real email addresses), just times out while connecting to smtp.gmail.com

as for logging in automatically, i used the built-in login manager to enable my username to login automatically

i tried editing the file to disable it again, but there was no change

the screen stops with the mouse, before the login screen loads

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... so it's a problem with your session somewhere... will it log into, for example, failsafe xterm, or some other DM?

jascotty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2024 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, haven't tried failsafe...

should try that next time i have access to the machine (sometime near the end of the week)

while away, i just lost connectivity with my server, so i'm assuming the ip changed again, and sendEmail still isn't working

Sad

side note... it the recovery mode works, what can i do to make it work normally?

jascotty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2024 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, booted up in recovery mode, and tried xfix and repair broken packages, but there is no change. still stops with the mouse
tried booting with 'failsafe' , but didn't work
:/

jascotty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2024 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.. figured out why the sendEmail wasn't working: my ebox firewall was blocking that port.

still can't get the computer to get to the login screen, though

any other suggestions?

jascotty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2024 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's been almost two weeks.. my server still has the same issue.
i know it may not be important, since i may only be accessing it through samba or ssh anyway, but gui interface would be nice occasionally

any other ideas on how to fix it?

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2024 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm no Ubuntu guru, but I google a lot, does that help any? lol!

Sorry I didn't say hi, so: "Hi!".

I d/led your log, did a quick visual and saw (EE) 2 times. "Unknown EDID version 2."

Those (EE) entries are errors, one error in the current configuration and one error for the 'old' configuration. Looks like the same error each time.

For that, I googled for "Unknown EDID version 2" and found http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.html?t=962194 HTH.

Next interesting point, just before the (EE) entries, I see your log says you have an ATI Rage 128, which I thought was no longer supported by Linux versions of ATI drivers (I have a few versions of Rage 128). Yet I do not see anything like 'unsupported card' nor do I see messages about missing drivers, so maybe your setup can work with the drivers you appear to be using.

After the (EE) entries, I see a raft of:
Code:
(II) R128(0): Not using default mode "800x600" (hsync out of range)
for most of the basic SVGA resolutions. That all the basic resolutions are "out of range" seem VERY unusual. Unusual to this non-expert.

A bit before the (EE) errors, I saw this:
Code:
(WW) R128(0): Can't determine panel dimensions, and none specified.
Using a flat panel display?

With all the out of range errors, with the older card seeming to be hooked to a flat panel display, with the unknown EDID data....

- Have you attempted to use one set of drivers, found them to not work, then tried a different set of drivers??
-Have you switched display hardware to this flat panel since the remote login worked with full GUI? If so, maybe your X software needs a monitor database update so it can support the (assumed to be ) newer flat panel?

I could be totally off base there. Wouldn't be the 93rd time I was off base.

Also, long time ago, right around the end of kernel 2.2, I had a GPM problem like this. GPM is a mouse driver for use in a full console session. When I uninstalled GPM, X loaded just fine. Just a guess.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Servers and Server Administration All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: