USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Arch Clones
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jester

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2024 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Kahel OS Reply with quote

JP wrote:
melloe wrote:
Kahel OS is an Arch Linux-based distribution optimised for i686 and x86_64 processor architectures. It uses the GNOME desktop by default
that lets it out for me, I can't stand GNOME Exclamation Exclamation

...there's an app for that Wink
Code:
sudo yaourt -Sy kde

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP wrote
Quote:
that lets it out for me, I can't stand GNOME

....then you might be interested in Kahel light
http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.html?t=12868&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=450
Kahel OS 01-01-2010 "Light" with xfce
http://www.kahelos.org/newsdetails.html?newsid=41

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Kahel OS Reply with quote

jester wrote:
JP wrote:
melloe wrote:
Kahel OS is an Arch Linux-based distribution optimised for i686 and x86_64 processor architectures. It uses the GNOME desktop by default
that lets it out for me, I can't stand GNOME :!: :!:

...there's an app for that ;)
Code:
sudo yaourt -Sy kde

someone has an iphone....

or enjoys the joke...

;-)

ArchLinux i686 - Dell Presario ze2000 (w/ shattered LCD)

PuppyLinux, CloneZilla, PartedMagic, DBAN - rescue thumbdrives
Windows 7 (x86_64 desktop alternate boot)
jester

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No iphone - they're mostly used as 'an accessory' here, secondary to the main phone which usually tend to sport one-seg TV (not for me), keitai-saifu (swipe phone to pay), integration with most domestic transport companies (rail/air - yes I use avidly) instead of paper tickets or plastic passes/membership cards.

But yeah, I enjoy the joke, especially reframed in a linux context - I don't think the default WM/DE a distro ships with should be grounds for evaluation, unless its repos do not support further choices, at which point, there are some more fundamental issues to consider Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jester wrote:
No iphone - they're mostly used as 'an accessory' here, secondary to the main phone which usually tend to sport one-seg TV (not for me), keitai-saifu (swipe phone to pay), integration with most domestic transport companies (rail/air - yes I use avidly) instead of paper tickets or plastic passes/membership cards.

But yeah, I enjoy the joke, especially reframed in a linux context - I don't think the default WM/DE a distro ships with should be grounds for evaluation, unless its repos do not support further choices, at which point, there are some more fundamental issues to consider Wink

I totally agree with you here; if a distro does not have the defaults I want, sure, I may not use it as my first preference if something else already has precisely what I want, but as far as testing it, I will not right it off unless it flat out does not work or allow a flexible array of alternatives.

I am not testing right now nearly as much has I've done in the recent past, though, so if a system does not possess most of the characteristics that I tend to use, it is unlikely to make my short testing list, and right now that means it will not get tested!

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2024 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if it is one I might keep, which I often do not know till I test it. <G>< There is a word for that.

If a distro has KDE, Gnome and possibly xfce as the default download, I will probably try KDE first. My BIAS. If I am not pleased, I may or may not ever try the Gnome. But just because a distro don't offer KDE as a default download don't mean I won't try it. If I keep it for any period of time, I add K3B and ktorrent at a minimum if available.

I have grown to appreciate some of the xfce offerings.

BUT Mostly, I try a distro with three ideas in mind 1. Do I want to keep it 2. Is it usable by a NooB and 3. Is it one I want to put on a build ( with level of expertise in mind ). Other than looking for a build OS for a specific audience, I evaluate as to whether I like or don't like a distro with my bias up front.
Nothing scientific about it <G><

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, unlike many, I either require that it be KDE 4, or that it has NOTHING. That's the reason when I download Debian, it's ALWAYS the netinstalls. They have no X, so I build it up with KDE and nothing else.

I'm not willing to go through and install KDE, then remove Gnome. Makes me think I'm running windows that I have to fix everything that's broken, so I just don't do it. For me, KDE is the only DE that I like of the major DE's, and while once a year or so I'll download something gnome or XFCE to see if it's improved to the point where I can tolerate it (I can tolerate XFCE if needed, Gnome I despise and consider worse than running windows), it doesn't change overly often.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlmiller
I ran across this at Arch site

http://wiki.archlinux.org//Arch_Based_Distributions#ArchBang

* 1 Active Distributions
o 1.1 ArchBang
o 1.2 Arch Linux Mobile
o 1.3 ArchLinux PPC
o 1.4 ArchPwn
o 1.5 archboot
o 1.6 archlive
o 1.7 Chakra
o 1.8 Chaox
o 1.9 CTKarchLive
o 1.10 Kahel OS
o 1.11 LinHES
o 1.12 live.linuX-gamers.net
o 1.13 Maryan Linux 2
o 1.14 Mesk Linux
* 2 Meta Distributions
o 2.1 archiso
o 2.2 Archiso-live
o 2.3 larch
* 3 Arch Influenced Distros
o 3.1 Alpine Linux
o 3.2 Enlisy
o 3.3 Frugalware

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the discontinued ones
Arch Based Distributions

* 4 Discontinued Distributions
o 4.1 Aegis Project
o 4.2 Archie
o 4.3 archlive-i586
o 4.4 Arch Linux Modified
o 4.5 Borderless Linux
o 4.6 FaunOS
o 4.7 Firefly Linux
o 4.8 March Linux
o 4.9 Shift Linux
o 4.10 Underground Desktop
o 4.11 Miscellaneous Distributions

Inquiring persons want to know <G><

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2024 5:16 pm    Post subject: ArchBang Reply with quote

New Archbang, and now have their own website

ArchBang is lightweight distribution and live CD that combines Arch Linux with the Openbox window manager. The latest version also includes a graphical system installer.
ArchBang version 1.05 is out!

Changes:

* whole new look
* included more video drivers
* added effects for some basic eye-candy
* fixed other minor issues
Now at 2.0 RC http://archbang.org/Main/Download

http://archbang.org/

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2024 6:58 pm    Post subject: Kahel OS 05-01-2010 Reply with quote

Distribution Release: Kahel OS 05-01-2010
KahelOS Meric Mara has announced the release of Kahel OS 05-01-2010, an Arch-based, desktop-oriented Linux distribution with GNOME as the default desktop: "The May One version of KahelOS installer (KahelOS 050110) is dedicated to all the laborers around the world. The highlight of this installer is the easier and friendlier way to do installation in a just a few steps, unlike the first two installer release. Improvements that you may discover: Compiz Fusion is enabled by default; font clean-up and improvements; improved hinting and rendering of fonts; massive clean-up of unnecessary packages, saving disk space; massive optimization of PNG, MNG, TIFF and GIF packages; new boot splash, background and theme; out-of-the-box easy file-sharing; Mabuhay Welcome Center with introduction of Kahel OS; iBus is now the default alternative input bus; include all possible WiFi firmware by default." Read the remainder of the release announcement for more details. http://www.kahelos.org/newsdetails.html?newsid=43

Download http://www.kahelos.org/downloads.html
DE editions only at www.distrowatch.com
(this is an installation CD only, no live mode): kahel-desktop-050110-i686.iso (693MB, MD5), kahel-desktop-050110-x86_64.iso (694MB, MD5).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2024 2:11 pm    Post subject: : Chakra GNU/Linux Phoix Reply with quote

NEW • Development Release: Chakra GNU/Linux Phoix
Chakra GNU/Linux Phil Miller has announced the release of Chakra GNU/Linux Phoix, an Arch-based distribution and live CD with KDE 4. This is the project's first release that uses packages compiled in-house rather than those provided by Arch Linux. From the announcement: http://chakra.sourceforge.net/news/?/archives/2-Development-Release-Phoix.html "There was a rumor about splitting from Arch Linux. Yes, that is right. I did a big step and continued what Jan Mette started in the dark. During my first week of my vacation I built over 900 packages for our new distribution - Chakra GNU/Linux. I split it into three repositories: core - all the good stuff you need for a simple system; platform - X11 and drivers plus dependencies and applications you need to build KDE; desktop - KDE in all its glory. The initial release of Chakra GNU/Linux is called Phoix and has the following features: Linux kernel 2.6.33.4 with LZMA support, KDEmod 4.4.3, X.Org Server 1.7.6, Catalyst 10.4, NVIDIA 195."

Download: http://chakra.sourceforge.net/download.html
Or at www.distrowatch.com
chakra-i686-phoix-2010-05-22.iso (667MB, MD5).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: linuX-gamers Live 0.9.6 Reply with quote

nuNEW • Distribution Release: linuX-gamers Live 0.9.6
linuX-gamers Live DVD Marko Kaiser has announced the release of linuX-gamers Live 0.9.6, an Arch-based live CD/DVD/USB image containing a large collection of popular Linux games: "We recently released a new version of our games distribution. New features: host system in local network. New games: Osmos demo, LinCityNG, OpenTTD. All other games are based on their most recent versions. You will notice that there are two editions now. Lite ISO: a small CD image (700 MB) containing a limited games selection suitable for children and older computers. Burn it to a blank CD-R/CD-RW using regular Linux or Linux tools like Nero, K3B, Infrarecorder, etc. Alternatively, you can write it to a USB device (at least 1 GB capacity). Big ISO: a big DVD image (4.7 GB) containing the full games selection for adults and more recent computers. Burn it to a blank DVD-R/DVD-RW using any burning tool of your choosing or write it to a USB device (at least 5 GB capacity)." Here is the brief release announcement. http://live.linux-gamers.net/

Download mirrors and torrents: Both ISO's http://live.linux-gamers.net/?s=download
Or BIG ISO only at www.distrowatch.com
lglive-0.9.6-i686-hybrid-big.iso (4,477MB, MD5, torrent).

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: