USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Linux-based database serving windows clients
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Software for Business
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hakova

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject: Linux-based database serving windows clients Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't have a technical background, so please be gentle with me Smile. I would like to build a database for patient data in a private clinic. The clients have to be windows-based PCs, however I would prefer a linux-based server. The clients must have presentable forms with GUI features like buttons, check boxes, drop-down lists, etc. I know how to do this in a scenario using MS SQL server and MS Access frontend, which is what I want to replicate using a linux-based server here. I guess one option is to use a web interface for the forms, for data entry, etc. For this, I probably have to learn php, which I prefer to avoid just because of lazyness. I found an open source product called Bond database (http://www.treshna.com/bond/) but couldn't install it to try it out, because it fails to recognize my libglib2.0 version.

Because of the sensitive patient information, security is a major concern here and one of the main reasons why I would like the server to be linux-based. I don't mean military-grade or paranoid security here, but I don't fancy patient data to be easily reachable from the internet. I appreciate if anybody can give me some pointers like:

a) I know this great solution, it has a GUI so you don't need to learn any coding.

b) LAMP is the best solution to this, so bite the bullet and learn php. Here is an excellent way to learn it very quickly and easily.

c) The most secure solution is so and so, you shouldn't opt for any level of security below this.

And so forth.

Thanks for reading.

platinummonkey
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2024 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one small tip:
if you are hosting this in the building, and you have your own subnet (ie you have a router ;P and the computers will generally have a 192.168.*.* ip address) you can limit what the server listens to (ie only listen to local 192.168.*.* addresses and ignore everything else)
you can use iptables or more simply /etc/hosts.allow and/or /etc/hosts.deny
even if you aren't on your own subnet, you can use iptables or the hosts files to limit which computers can access that server. A good firewall between the server and the net would be good measure as well Wink (most routers have a simple firewall you can use or if you can, install openwrt on it which will give you many more options.)

lamp is pretty easy to set up... but that would take a LOT of work by yourself to set up. Honestly it is safer imho for you and your company to obtain software from someone else like treshna.com mentioned. I would talk to their support team and try to get it to work first.

USB Boot - Archlinux i686 kernel26 2.6.32.10-1 USB boot
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2024 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught Biomedical Instrumentation for a couple of years and got a preview of the mess . Good Luck. Some sources and ideas. But I am basically a hardware guy.

http://linuxmednews.com/

http://www.oemr.org/

http://www.hardhats.org/

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Medicine-HOWTO/record.html

http://www.oemr.org/modules/cjaycontent/?id=17

and much more

bdquick
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2024 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MySQL would make a good database to run on LInux. You could use about anything to write a frontend. Not sure that access would do it. Visual Studio can easily create a screens from a database. I'm sure eclipse or Netbeans have a similar feature for Java, which could be cross platform. The treshna thing looks promising too.

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2024 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sql is Sql.

and just about any language you can think of will happily interface with a MySQL installation. but if you want to get up and running quickly you sould consider a WIMN setup (Windows, IIS, MySQL, .net (VB or ASP)) or even a WISN setup (Windows, IIS, Microsoft SQL Server, .net (VB or ASP))

it's quick to get up and running, has an excellent GUI based IDE (VisualStudio express which is a free download from microsoft... or it was last i checked) several tools that allow graphical administration of the MySQL that means you don't have to be as good with the whole SQL stuff....

if you want to learn and administer a LAMP setup.... be my guest but you'll it a lot more work than a windows based setup, at least in a network that is already almost, if not completely, exclusively windows machines.

ArchLinux i686 - Dell Presario ze2000 (w/ shattered LCD)

PuppyLinux, CloneZilla, PartedMagic, DBAN - rescue thumbdrives
Windows 7 (x86_64 desktop alternate boot)
mushroom
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2024 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lamp is the way to go Exclamation

You can protect it completely from the outside world with a fully locked down firewall all you have to do is alter one line in the iptables configuration file to allow only the local subnet(s) to access the machine.

example.
Quote:
FW_TRUSTED_NETS="192.168.0.0/24 207.34.153.240/28 207.194.254.0/25 209.53.164.0/23 209.53.136.128/25 209.53.237.0/24"

You can also restrict access to the web server by using the allow/deny settings in apache to allow only some IP's to access the server.

hakova

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2024 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the great ideas and recommendations. The key factor here are the forms. They need to be very intuitive and user friendly to minimize errors in data entry. I also think that if they look presentable, as in the case of MS Access forms, people like them better. I just don't have the background/knowledge to prepare php/html forms looking that way. However, I found this:
http://www.bigprof.com/appgini/
It looks like this application generates php codes for you. I need to figure out whether it supports sub-forms, which are kind of filtered/queried data visible within a form, e.g. to list previous procedures a patient had, in an H&P form.

I agree that using a WIMN or WISN solution is probably the quickest way for dummies to create what you need, but I really want to minimize the cost and not pay for MSN licenses. Do you think this would compromise the security? IMHO, if your server operates with SSL (https), and only allows connections from certain IPs as suggested, this may be reasonably safe. Do you agree? If the physicians request access from their home computers though, then that will be another issue to tackle I guess. I wonder if anybody has recommendations to enable that without compromising data security.

Another option is to use MS Access as a client to MySQL via ODBC despite its limitations. I need to lok into that too I guess.

Thank you all again.

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2024 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no great security risk in using LAMP versus WIMN and WISN

both can be set up securely with no risk of patient data leaking out.

it's slightly easier to do in a windows setup, but equaly possible and secure in a linux.

VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2024 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hakova wrote:
If the physicians request access from their home computers though, then that will be another issue to tackle I guess.

VPN

MacBook: OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
mushroom
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2024 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn wrote:

it's slightly easier to do in a windows setup, but equaly possible and secure in a linux.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2024 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mushroom wrote:
Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i wasn't aware i had made a joke.... care to clue me in on it?

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"it's slightly easier to do in a windows setup, but equaly possible and secure in a linux."

I'm pretty sure that's what made mushroom laugh Wink It gave me a chuckle as well tbh. Smile

Probably for those of use that use databases/linux daily, working with Windows is just a nightmare...
Linux makes is simple to install/use/secure databases. Securing windows is not "simple", perhaps this is just my personal opinion... but the only windows systems i feel secure about are the ones that are unplugged from a power source.

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2024 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that does depend on your perspective and relative technical knowhow (your "geekyness" if you will)

for someone with a lot of geekyness linux will be easier.

for someone with not a lot of geekyness.... well not so much...

given Havoka's first post i placed him in the second category (sorry if that was incorrect, btw) and thus made my recommendations accordingly.

hakova

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2024 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VHockey86 wrote:
VPN

Excellent idea. This is why I am so thankful to be part of this forum!

Please don't be too harsh on Lord.DragonFly.of.Dawn, his assumptions on my geekiness was right. Although I have been familiar with linux since 2024 and using it on a daily basis since 2024, I still don't consider myself an expert by any means. The reasons for that are many:
    I don't have a technical background, trained myself as good as I could starting at age 33 and I am no genius.
    There are so much to learn and everything is so dynamic; you need to re-learn some of the stuff you thought you knew.
    Data security is a particularly tricky issue with potentially significant consequences; even experts may sometimes fail to see the defects. I think it is a huge responsibility and I don't want to make a stupid mistake.

I almost hear you saying "This is why one needs IT experts" and you are right. Nothing I prepare would match a professionally designed solution obviously, but I think I am trying to challenge myself with a learning project. Perhaps I should keep this project very limited initially and expand step by step as I feel more confident.

I still need to explore MS Access-MySQL courtship, but can anybody recommend a good and practical source to learn PHP-MySQL?

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2024 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://lamppix.tinowagner.com/

Live linux cd with LAMP installed.... . php/mysql tutorials are strewn throughout the net.

The live cd might also give you the added knowledge of how to remaster it with your own data already on there, which is pretty cool too.

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Software for Business All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: