USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

PCLinuxOS 2024 is in 1st beta
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2024 4:51 am    Post subject: PCLinuxOS 2024 is in 1st beta Reply with quote

This afternoon, I reconnected with PCLinuxOS for the first time in a few months. I've not thought of PCLinuxOs since I managed to damage my earlier installation of PCLinuxOS beyond my ability to repair it (and I then discovered that PCLOS 2024.2 was unable to do a fresh install on my peculiar system - I had been using a rolling update up to that point). I left PCLinuxOS feeling like I had no options but to leave. I then fumbled with several installation failures and one installation success with Ubuntu 9.10. I managed to get Ubuntu 64 Bit installed and for the first time, I can say I've used Ubuntu. I was happily 'Stumbling' along all day.

So, today, after 'Stumbling' into the PCLinuxOS announcement for the 2024 release, I decided to give PCLinuxOS another chance. I'm here, I'm posting under the OS as installed from the beta CD.

I'm not normally a 'beta' kind of person, really. I often find that the fully released versions of very highly regarded distros leave me wanting Windows yet again. This bodes well. I have regained a lost friend. And that friend somehow jealously botched Ubuntu in the process. Oh well, maybe I'll fix Ubuntu, maybe I won't.

Well, PROBABLY I won't.

Very Happy Very Happy

PCLinuxOS 2024 BETA release announcement, with link to download and md5sum.

For me, the biggest "change for the good" in PCLinuxOS is, finally KDE 4 is supported (at KDE 4.4.1). So nice to have a modern looking desktop UI, and Dolphin is showing itself as a very capable file manager.

Off to tweak for a bit!

EDIT: Corrected the KDE version information.

Last edited by mmmna on Thu Mar 11, 2024 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
julian516

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting mmmna. I recently had a very similar experience with PCLOS just before the release of that newest beta. I wrote about it over on the ExtremeTech site. My conclusion: Tests on several machines suggested something was very wrong with the existing iso/livecd and the resulting installation process.

That said I agree with you that there is a lot to like -- really -- about PCLOS. One has to hope that the new release when it finalizes will resolve the issues I experienced.

If so then, as I aid over at ExtremeTech, Clem and his friends are going to have some serious competition for "best new Linux user" distribution.

Let's hope PCLOS gets it done!

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Possible explanation for previous PCLOS issues, worth return Reply with quote

PCLinuxOS is one of the two or three best "simple" desktop distributions out there. I believe that when PCLinuxOS was jacked up, it was because Texstar had to deactivate from the project for several months. One of the hurricanes in the Southwest affected his family, and there were other unspecified reasons, but the bottom line is that Reynolds (Texstar) took a leave of absence from the project. Bickering broke out upon his return because he cleaned up some inconsistencies that had crept into the project - it was and is, fundamentally, his project, though many others are certainly welcome to contribute.

The splintering resulted in the creation of a nice infrastructure for new systems: the Unity Linux project (Tiny Me is one of the ones in it, cannot remember the others.) The other side effect was that it took a number of months to get everything really right, though initial improvements were almost immediate when Texstar returned. His absence, and later return, may explain for some of the issues you guys saw. A plain bum ISO image that worked its way onto some mirror sites - an image that may partially work, but then not perform all functions correctly - may be one possible explanation for the issues - again, somewhere around the timeframe of Bill's return to the project.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Also, it is KDE SC 4.4.1, not 4.1 Reply with quote

Also, do note that PCLinuxOS 2024 Beta 1 is: "...a nicely customized KDE 4.4.1 SC desktop that is both beautiful and very fast with the latest KDE applications." (as opposed to a KDE 4.1 implementation - it is MUCH NEWER than KDE 4.1, which was a rather poor abberation, one of the versions that had people complaining so much about KDE 4!)

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2024 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

julian516 wrote:
My conclusion: Tests on several machines suggested something was very wrong with the existing iso/livecd and the resulting installation process.
While searching for information about any 64 bit development (hint: after 32 bit is released), I happened to remember an older thread I had started, it was a discussion where I asked for a link to a specific version of MiniMe (2009.2, I think) because I managed to toss my first CDR of that version. The responses produced a few links and the requisite MD5SUMs, so I left the thread feeling I had been duly answered.

Interestingly, that thread discussion continued for a few more posts, as does happen from time to time, and on my return to reading the remaining posts, the new information was eye opening: there had been a released version of PCLOS which had major boot errors on many peoples machines. I was asking for the bad version! If you REALLY must find that bad release, search the PCLinuxOS forums for MiniMe posts made by mmmmna (I added an extra 'm' after I used mmmna here).

So, short story made a wee bit longer: according to the grapevine (old-polack), it seems that Texstar felt that putting a good strong polish on the PCLinuxOS 2024 release would be time better spent, as opposed to trying to revise and re-release 2024. And here we are!

Quote:
That said I agree with you that there is a lot to like -- really -- about PCLOS. One has to hope that the new release when it finalizes will resolve the issues I experienced.
Well, I can only urge you to consider giving this beta a quick peek. Yeah, this beta release evidently has some documented weaknesses (as the PCLinuxOS forum threads can attest), but these issues seem to be needing only repository refinements.

If you are a recently disillusioned fan of PCLinuxOS, try the beta as a live CD. Otherwise, I suppose you'll just hold your breath and wait for that official 2024 release, hmm?

So, despite the major fragment in the PCLinuxOS developer pool last year, it seems PCLinuxOS will arise from the scuffle with but a minor bruise. With KDE 4.4.1 as a nice prize for the faithful.

EDIT: Corrected the KDE version information.

Last edited by mmmna on Thu Mar 11, 2024 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2024 8:56 pm    Post subject: nit picking Reply with quote

I know that this is nit picking but KDE 4.1 has been mentioned TWICE now, so I feel obliged to clarify that PCLinusOS definitely uses KDE SC 4.4.1 and NOT KDE 4.1. That one digit difference represents about TWO more years of significant change, all very positive change, hence my emphasis on this point.
[/i]

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2024 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: nit picking Reply with quote

masinick wrote:
I know that this is nit picking but KDE 4.1 has been mentioned TWICE now, so I feel obliged to clarify that PCLinusOS definitely uses KDE SC 4.4.1 and NOT KDE 4.1. That one digit difference represents about TWO more years of significant change, all very positive change, hence my emphasis on this point.

If you follow me around long enough, you will go insane.

Corrections have been made, TYVM. Smile

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2024 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: nit picking Reply with quote

mmmna wrote:
masinick wrote:

If you follow me around long enough, you will go insane.

Corrections have been made, TYVM. Smile

Thanks, my friend! Just wanted to make sure that not only you, but others who may read this thread down the road catch that very important distinction because KDE 4.1 was very shaky, but KDE SC 4.4.1 is now quite solid and usable!

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get to download, run live, then install PCLinuxOS 2024 Beta 1 right over my previous existing installation on my Gateway 17" PA6A laptop. Both worked really well. I ran KDE SC 4.4.1 for a while, then I downloaded XFCE, LXDE, and IceWM and briefly had a chance to try LXDE and XFCE. KDE runs well, but those two are a bit lighter so they are even quicker. IceWM would be the same, but I did not get a chance to work with it yet. I frequently install all of these environments on various machines and systems so that I can change environments with either my moods or to suit something I am doing at some particular time.

Needless to say, PCLinuxOS worked well in each of the environments I tried out and the software is stable, yet current, a nice combination, plus it is, as always, "Radically Simple". Smile

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2024 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, apparently PCLOS 2024 was withdrawn after beta 2, I'm not exactly certain of the details other than there was a sequence issue which in essence, placed a cart before a horse or something along that line. Looking to see if beta 3 arrives soon,

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2024 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that I can say is that if they are having issues, good thing that they are backing off further releases until the issues are resolved.

julian516

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2024 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly unfortunate. A visit to the PCLOS web site will show some very attractive things going on that ought to make it a salient choice for a lot of people. But I had terrible trouble trying to load it recently, much to my surprise.

What did work was to go back to an earlier release and then just progressively update and upgrade from there. Wireless remains flakey but it can usually be made to work.

That said all of this requires more fiddling about than ought to be the case for something "radically simple." I surely do hope Texstar can pull it around.

ladypcer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2024 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCLOS 2024.2 was the first Linux distro I felt really content with. Everything just worked, and for a person that had been sick for a long time, that made my day.
I did try out the beta, but will wait for the final release to make it a mainstay again.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2024 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is difficult to determine if the issues are caused by the changes in KDE (that is possible, though some are claiming that KDE SC 4.4.2 fixes some things broken in earlier updates). It could also be that some of the migration strategies between the old release and the new release just are not working out so far.

Give them time. I will say one thing about Texstar; he does not give up until he gets things right. I do not think he understands all of the ins and outs of the system as well as Warren Woodford does (Warren is a veteran NeXT system developer prior to becoming a Linux distributor), so Warren has more development and packaging experience. Texstar is a good user interface designer and he does a good job modifying existing packages; not quite as sure that he can do stuff from scratch unless he has a model to pattern after. Still, the results of the final releases of the works that can be attributed primarily to HIM are quite good, so hang on, and hope that it is Texstar doing most of the stuff and it will be good.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2024 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just screwed up my test copy of pclos. Don't ask..but it was way beyond the first BETA at this point.

grrrrrr

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: