USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

PCLinuxOS 2024 is in 1st beta
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2024 3:21 am    Post subject: I am here with PCLinuxOS 2024 Reply with quote

Right now I am simply running in a Virtualbox setting, but I intend to install over the beta copy I had installed previously. This looks pretty final to me - the version released on the fifteenth, US Tax deadline day! Guess that Texstar had his taxes all set and ready to go - I did mine on the fourteenth so for a change I am all set too. As far as PCLinuxOS goes, this looks good and seems to work fine.

Then again, I had no issues with the Beta release either.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to do some research: is PCLOS friendly with GRUB 2, as per Ubuntu 10.04, and, I really want to start from a MiniMe type install, if possible.
Limited time this week, so I'll get to to this eventually.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmna wrote:
I have to do some research: is PCLOS friendly with GRUB 2, as per Ubuntu 10.04, and, I really want to start from a MiniMe type install, if possible.
Limited time this week, so I'll get to to this eventually.

PCLOS does not use, to the best of my knowledge, GRUB 2; it uses the same version of GRUB - now called GRUB Legacy, that it has previously used.

If you manage your boot partition from Ubuntu, the only major released distribution I know of supporting GRUB 2 so far, you'll have to run a GRUB update, but Ubuntu should have no trouble picking up any kernels installed on PCLOS.

As far as MiniMe goes, this is a good approach. As you know, MiniMe starts with a smaller core set of desktop and application components and provides the tools to allow you to configure it the way that you like it. I see no issue or difference between PCLOS and MiniMe in the way that they would handle the boot loader.

The one issue you could see is that if you have Ubuntu installed, it is managing the MBR with GRUB 2, then after the fact, you install PCLOS or MiniMe, but only install the boot loader to your that system's root partition, the MBR config file will not be changed yet, so before you can see the new software, you'd have to boot the Ubuntu system, update GRUB, picking up the new entries, then, unless there are unusual circumstances, you should, at that point, be able to access either system.

Suppose you wanted Ubuntu and PCLOS (or MiniMe), but you wanted the PCLOS variant to control the MBR with its boot loader? The fact that Ubuntu uses GRUB 2 and PCLOS uses GRUB Legacy has no bearing on whether that would work or not. All that matters is that the lines pointing to the kernel and initrd files correctly reference the right disk and partitions. Be careful copying entries; they are definitely different, both in syntax and in naming conventions.

GRUB Legacy uses zero offset numbers for both disks and partitions.
GRUB 2 uses zero offset numbers for disks, but starts partition numbering at one rather than zero - a key difference. The keywords are very different between the two configurations used by these applications, so copying and pasting contents is out of the question, but looking at one, and using the information to create the other can be done, provided you understand the naming and numbering conventions.

When in doubt, if the distribution provides a tool, use it as a first cut to creating or modifying the configuration files and then hand edit them only if their attempt to specify the locations of images is inaccurate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: