USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Ubuntu-10.04 (for alpha, beta, RC and final)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What are your first impressions of 10.04?
I love it!
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
It's an improvement over 9.xx
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
It's the same as before
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
It's somewhat unstable for me
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
This is not useable yet
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm holding off until the final release
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
I'm following developments but won't install
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Never tried an Ubuntu and still won't
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VHockey86 wrote
Quote:
Why would you use HTTP instead of the torrent?

That is of course a good question normally, but I suppose the context was misplaced <G><. masinick was commenting on doing online upgrade and it taking all night, then it went astray.

In any case, when one hits the little Icon on the task bar to OK the upgade to 10.04, the installer takes over and does to connection to appropriate mirror with a prearranged sequence of events. A couple of pop ups about obsolete packages etc.

I too did an online upgrade to Kubuntu 10.04 and it was pretty slow. but lucked out I suppose, as it was much faster than that. Still took several hours. I have never tried on line upgrade that close to release before, so never saw it take that long before.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2024 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ubuntu is becoming a VERY GOOD release! Reply with quote

VHockey86 wrote:
masinick wrote:

My download speed was even less than that; I was getting between 10-20 KBPS and it dropped down in the 9600 Baud range for a while, but I just let it run overnight and eventually it picked up and completed. .

Why would you use HTTP instead of the torrent? Granted even the torrent wouldn't have been great at the very beginning, but the bandwidth at least grows along with the swarm instead of a bottlenecked dedicated server.

I did it because I wanted to try it each of the different ways. I have installed with the torrent before; works fine. I have two Kubuntu setups now, and I wanted to run one as an upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 and the other, I had previously run as a test release, that one I want to upgrade to the final release.

I'll keep one stable, and the other one I'll run as a test release in a month or two for the next release --- not yet though.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2024 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated my Kubuntu laptop to final today. Been out of the country with no net access, so bit behind. Went smooth, everything works really well so far. Haven't tried my kppp since updating to final though. This install started out as a 9.10 install and has been updated through the betas and now to final.

Also downloaded the images for the 32-bit and 64-bit installs. Guess things have cleared up, because they downloaded FAST.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2024 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for S & Giggles, I'm comparing Arch vs. Kubuntu 10.04 (both amd64). Kubuntu has a marked hardware advantage (T7500 (2.2 GHz/800 MHz/4 MB) w/ 4 GB RAM vs. T7250 (2.0 GHz/800 MHz/2 MB) w/ 2 GB RAM), but while Kubuntu runs really well...Arch still manages to run rings around it.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2024 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlmiller wrote:
Just for S & Giggles, I'm comparing Arch vs. Kubuntu 10.04 (both amd64). Kubuntu has a marked hardware advantage (T7500 (2.2 GHz/800 MHz/4 MB) w/ 4 GB RAM vs. T7250 (2.0 GHz/800 MHz/2 MB) w/ 2 GB RAM), but while Kubuntu runs really well...Arch still manages to run rings around it.

Not surprised a bit. By the way, it looks like Debian Sid FINALLY picked up some new KDE bits over the weekend, jumping clear from KDE SC 4.3.4 to - if you can believe this - KDE SC 4.4.3, the current maintenance version out there. It is about time! Sid was three or four months dated until just this weekend, but now leapfrogs several just released distributions. I have not checked, but sidux will probably release now on the heels of this update.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject: Lubuntu 10.04 Reply with quote

Distribution Release: Lubuntu 10.04
Lubuntu Julien Lavergne has released Lubuntu 10.04, an Ubuntu-based distribution featuring the lightweight LXDE desktop: "Lubuntu 10.04 is now available for download. Lubuntu is an Ubuntu variant using the LXDE desktop. It's designed to be a lightweight and easy-to-use desktop environment. Lubuntu is actually not part of the Ubuntu family, and not build with the current Ubuntu architecture. This release is considered as a 'stable beta', a result that could be a final and stable release if it were included in the Ubuntu family. Please note also that Lubuntu 10.04 is not a LTS version. Features: based on the lightweight LXDE desktop environment; PCManFM 0.9.5, the rewrite of PCManFM using GIO/GVFS; LXDE, a new and lightweight GTK+ display manager; Chromium, the open-source edition of Google Chrome; based on Ubuntu 10.04." More information about the product can be found in the release announcement. ttp://lubuntu.net/blog/lubuntu-1004-now-available-download

Download: link on page and http://people.ubuntu.com/~gilir/
O at www.distrowatch
lubuntu-10.04.iso (521MB, MD5, torrent).

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2024 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masinick wrote:
tlmiller wrote:

Not surprised a bit. By the way, it looks like Debian Sid FINALLY picked up some new KDE bits over the weekend, jumping clear from KDE SC 4.3.4 to - if you can believe this - KDE SC 4.4.3, the current maintenance version out there. It is about time! Sid was three or four months dated until just this weekend, but now leapfrogs several just released distributions. I have not checked, but sidux will probably release now on the heels of this update.

Yeah, they've said for quite a while they plan on having KDE 4.4.something when Squeeze releases...

VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious what you're using as a metric for "runs rings around it"? I didn't really notice any difference in application launch time / overall ui responsiveness between Arch64 and Kubuntu64 on the same hardware, but then again I wasn't benchmarking it.

MacBook: OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2024 9:51 pm    Post subject: Debian KDE SC 4.4.3 is now in Sid and in Testing soon Reply with quote

tlmiller wrote:
masinick wrote:
tlmiller wrote:

Yeah, they've said for quite a while they plan on having KDE 4.4.something when Squeeze releases...

If it is going to be KDE SC 4.4 and not KDE SC 4.5, then it is going to be this one; KDE SC 4.4.3 because:

1. This is the first and only KDE 4.4 that has gone through Experimental and now Sid.

2. From what I've read so far (but yet to confirm on an actual system), KDE SC 4.4.3 has definitely flowed over to Sid. Yesterday it was only part way there, but I have seen several reports that it made it the rest of the way today. Unconfirmed and unsubstantiated information suggests that it is either in Testing or is heading that way soon. Frankly, it should. It has had plenty of time to be tested in Experimental.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2024 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VHockey86 wrote:
I'm just curious what you're using as a metric for "runs rings around it"? I didn't really notice any difference in application launch time / overall ui responsiveness between Arch64 and Kubuntu64 on the same hardware, but then again I wasn't benchmarking it.

Just general feel of things. Part of it is luanching (where I do see a marked difference in how long it takes some programs to launch) and ui responsiveness (where when using 3d, there is a marked better responsiveness for Arch), but also just how it "feels" when using.

Mind you, I'm not saying Kubuntu is unusable, it actually runs REALLY well. Just not IMO AS well.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2024 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlmiller wrote:
VHockey86 wrote:

Just general feel of things. Part of it is luanching (where I do see a marked difference in how long it takes some programs to launch) and ui responsiveness (where when using 3d, there is a marked better responsiveness for Arch), but also just how it "feels" when using.

Mind you, I'm not saying Kubuntu is unusable, it actually runs REALLY well. Just not IMO AS well.

It has been a while since I last ran Arch, but I can pretty much confirm what Tim is suggesting. Think about it for a moment. By default with Arch, you have very few, if any, administrative or other programs that are running in GUI mode. In contrast, "Easy to Use" distributions, such as Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Mandriva, openSUSE, and others like them tend to have quite a few GUI based monitoring programs. Many of them, more than likely, are written in Python. Nothing wrong with that; they are GREAT tools, but they do tend to carry quite a bit of overhead along with them.

I saw a study - I think it was on Phoronix, comparing Debian's XFCE implementation with the Xubuntu implementation, wondering why the Xubuntu implementation was "slower". Study found out that it was the convenience tools, automatically started, that slowed things down. Strip them out of Xubuntu and Debian and Xubuntu were nearly identical in speed; kernels and other attributes had negligible effect one way or the other.

jester

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2024 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from a week away - a slew of updates (76?) but all good so far - having serious thoughts about instituting this as the daily OS - will give it until June.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2024 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I long ago ( puter time ) put in Kububtu as last on HD1 normally in the Hot swap on the test box..mell0...e,g default when I hit the button and go make coffee. All I have to do is put in password, when I get back.. On that HD, it ( Kubuntu ) and Sabayon for several updates have kept XP company. This upgrade IMO has made a good'ern better.

My point, it has been good and dependable for some time.. Not the fastest, ( not that I have done scientific measurements..and on that fast box, who cares ) not the geekiest, and not necessarily my favorite, but has been dependable and easy to maintain. From the first install, everything just worked out of the box, and I could access my externals and internal storage set up NTFS/EXT/FAT32. The only thing that changed is I have to put in password to access internal now...as it should be I suppose.. I could go in I suppose and change that, but might be a good idea to leave it that way.

Last night it was graced with the packages to change to Grub 2...we shall see.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2024 9:45 pm    Post subject: This would be a good daily OS Reply with quote

jester wrote:
Just got back from a week away - a slew of updates (76?) but all good so far - having serious thoughts about instituting this as the daily OS - will give it until June.

If I were starting with my systems today, I would give serious consideration to choosing Kubuntu as my every day system. I do definitely include it in my mix of systems, leaving at least one, but usually two, slots for various *buntu, mostly for testing purposes.

I have, for more than five years now, used Debian Sid based systems as my every day system. Actually, in the past decade, only TWO YEARS: 2024 for Mandrake and 2024 for Lycoris, and a little bit in the 2024-2007 timeframe when I used SimplyMEPIS frequently as my every day system. Debian's fonts were acting up at the time on my system, so I used Debian as a test bed for a while and used SimplyMEPIS (Debian Stable) as my every day system. MEPIS has been either a primary or a backup since 2024, so it has a long standing with me too.

When I started using Ubuntu in 2024 I liked it but I especially liked Kubuntu. However, I enjoyed another KNOPPIX offshoot more, one called Kanotix. At that time, it was based on Debian Sid. The main distro owner, "Kano", decided in late 2024 to move to Debian Testing. When he did so, every developer that had been working with him defected and formed their own distribution, sidux. That was in November 2024. I did not learn about these things for nearly another year, and found out by accident when I was doing some research. That really picqued my interest, and from then on, I used sidux, found it much faster to load than Kanotix and easier to maintain because of a tool that came with sidux, a tool they have since "divorced" from association with them - smxi - but that tool still works great and I use it.

Moreover, a couple of years ago I raised some questions with its developer, Harold Hope (h2), about smxi working with antiX and SimplyMEPIS. Those features were not there at the time, but when h2 and sidux parted company, h2 started working more closely with anticapitalista on antiX and my name is mentioned in the antiX implementation of the smxi tool, and my name is also mentioned in the antiX release notes, because I try to test and promote every one of their releases.

Needless to say, the MEPIS and antiX communities have a lot of common interests for me. These are a few of the reasons why I have not chosen Kubuntu as my desktop of choice. If I were starting from ground zero today, it would definitely be on my short list.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2024 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I use Debian Testing as my every day system, but #2 most popular is Kubuntu. Arch I like a lot, but I've had many times that when major upgrades take place, it requires a LOT of manual removal of things in order to get it to upgrade, then you have to reconfigure, which makes it less popular IMO than Debian or Kubuntu that will simply upgrade and continue on, even if they're not as purely fast as Arch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: