USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

PCLinuxOS 2024
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2024 7:05 am    Post subject: PCLinuxOS 2024 Reply with quote

NEW • Distribution Release: PCLinuxOS 2024
PCLinuxOS Bill Reynolds has announced the release of PCLinuxOS 2024, now available in multiple flavours depending on your desktop preference: "PCLinuxOS 2024 is now available for download. Features: Linux kernel 2.6.32.11-bfs for maximum desktop performance; full KDE 4.4.2 desktop; NVIDIA and ATI driver support; multimedia playback support for many popular formats; wireless support for many network devices; printer support for many local and networked printer devices; addlocale allows you to convert PCLinuxOS into over 60 languages; GetOpenOffice can install OpenOffice.org supporting over 100 languages; MyLiveCD allows you to take a snapshot of your installation and burn it to a live CD/DVD; parental controls to keep your kids away from those naughty web sites. In addition to our regular KDE 4 release we also have other desktops available such as GNOME 2.30.0, LXDE, Xfce and Enlightenment 17." Here is the full release announcement. http://pclinuxos.com/?p=579

Download: http://pclinuxos.com/?page_id=10
Or at www.distrowatch.com
pclinuxos-kde-2010.iso (692MB, MD5), pclinuxos-gnome-2010.iso (694MB, MD5), pclinuxos-lxde-2010.iso (580MB, MD5), pclinuxos-xfce-2010.iso (620MB, MD5), pclinuxos-e17-2010.iso (610MB, MD5).

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2024 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign me up! Well, I mean, sign me up for when I get back from vacation...

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Enjoy vacation, try this out when you return Reply with quote

mmmna wrote:
Sign me up! Well, I mean, sign me up for when I get back from vacation...

Enjoy your vacation. The release has actually been out since April 15, but no rush. The test releases seemed to work pretty well, and whatever issues may have existed that held back the release have been taken care of and those I've read about who have used this software have had good success.

I had good success running the Beta 1 version. I downloaded the final image and ran it in a Virtualbox, also with good success. I have not installed the final version over my Beta 1 test version yet, but I have no reason to expect any issues with it. Should be a very good release.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed PCLinuxOS 2024 on two systems over the past week, one last night. There were 32 updates between the time the installation DVD I grabbed was created and the final release. On one of my systems where I had a previously installed instance - which, interestingly, may have been an early Beta, contrary to reports from the PCLOS forums, DID upgrade just fine, though there were well over 400 package updates.

This release looks pretty solid, both to install fresh, where I did not encounter any issues, and upgrading from previous tests, which also went cleanly. My conclusion is that whether you use it as a rolling release or you choose to obtain the latest media and install it, the results are solid and predictable, at least as long as you do not run into any hardware compatibility issues, which I DID NOT on any of the systems I used to test: an older Dell Latitude D600, where I upgraded from an earlier test release, my Gateway PA6A, where I installed about a week ago, and my Lenovo 3000 Y410, where I installed the release and updated packages last night. All three, upgrade, earlier installation, and recent installation, worked well with no issues detected.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2024 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting from PCLOS 2024 LXDE installed on my EeePC. Good level of integration, but I can't offer much by way of comment because I'm not at all familiar with LXDE. Might not leave the LXDE version installed for too long. Left a partition for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, which could very likely become my preferred distro, after a few months evaluation.

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've tried pclinuxos. I think I'll give it a go.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germ wrote:
It's been a while since I've tried pclinuxos. I think I'll give it a go.

It's a pretty good system, and it was the first distribution that packaged itself with KDE SC 4.4.2. Of course, Kubuntu 10.04 LTS, as of yesterday, also has KDE SC 4.4.2, and both are solid implementations.

lynch

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did the latest upgrade ( I installed it as the 2024 version about a year ago, I think).
It was 754 packages. Guess I should do that upgrade thing more often. Smile
I have used an earlier version for several years now. Never had a problem with it.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2024 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynch wrote:
I just did the latest upgrade ( I installed it as the 2024 version about a year ago, I think).
It was 754 packages. Guess I should do that upgrade thing more often. Smile
I have used an earlier version for several years now. Never had a problem with it.

How'd that go for you? I just upgraded with the latest packages and I have the PCLinuxOS 2024 system now in place. Seems pretty solid so far.

lynch

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2024 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going fine so far. The upgrade seems pretty stable.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2024 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynch wrote:
It's going fine so far. The upgrade seems pretty stable.

I have had a good experience so far with PCLinuxOS 2024 and Kubuntu 10.04 LTS with KDE SC 4.4.2.

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2024 9:16 am    Post subject: PCLinuxOS 2024.1 Reply with quote

NEW • Distribution Release: PCLinuxOS 2024.1
PCLinuxOS PCLinuxOS 2024.1, a bug-fix update of the recently released version 2024, is now available for download: "PCLinuxOS 2024.1 KDE 4 edition is now available for download. Linux kernel updated to 2.6.32.12-bfs. Linux kernel 2.6.33.2 also available from our software repository, KDE SC desktop upgraded to version 4.4.3. Added support for Realtek RTL8191SE and RTL8192SE WiFi cards. Added support for Microdia webcams. Added vim console text editor. Added udftools. Fixed CD-ROM ejection when using the copy-to-RAM feature. Fixed KDE new widget download. Updated NVIDIA (195.36.24) and ATI fglrx (8.723) drivers. Updated all supporting applications and libraries from the software repository which include security updates and bug fixes. Please note if you have already installed the PCLinuxOS 2024 release you can simply update it from the Synaptic software manager." Here is the brief release announcement. http://pclinuxos.com/?p=605

Download http://pclinuxos.com/?page_id=180
(MD5): pclinuxos-kde-2010.1.iso (693MB).

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2024 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: PCLinuxOS 2024.1 Reply with quote

Thanks Mel!

Keep in mind, for those of you who already have existing versions of PCLinuxOS, it is not necessary to grab a new ISO image (as noted below) unless you want to keep one around that is close to what is currently available. These are good bug fixes that come with this release, though, so if you have the existing version, do upgrade, either with synaptic, apt-get, or by getting this new ISO image.

melloe wrote:
NEW • Distribution Release: PCLinuxOS 2024.1
PCLinuxOS PCLinuxOS 2024.1, a bug-fix update of the recently released version 2024, is now available for download: "PCLinuxOS 2024.1 KDE 4 edition is now available for download. Linux kernel updated to 2.6.32.12-bfs. Linux kernel 2.6.33.2 also available from our software repository, KDE SC desktop upgraded to version 4.4.3. Added support for Realtek RTL8191SE and RTL8192SE WiFi cards. Added support for Microdia webcams. Added vim console text editor. Added udftools. Fixed CD-ROM ejection when using the copy-to-RAM feature. Fixed KDE new widget download. Updated NVIDIA (195.36.24) and ATI fglrx (8.723) drivers. Updated all supporting applications and libraries from the software repository which include security updates and bug fixes. Please note if you have already installed the PCLinuxOS 2024 release you can simply update it from the Synaptic software manager." Here is the brief release announcement. http://pclinuxos.com/?p=605

Download http://pclinuxos.com/?page_id=180
(MD5): pclinuxos-kde-2010.1.iso (693MB).

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2024 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just completed upgrading PCLinuxOS on my Lenovo Y410 after previously upgrading Mandriva Cooker and sidux. All three are running well, and in the case of PCLinuxOS, I suppose this means that I now have the equivalent of PCLinuxOS 2024.1. I just added Chromium, Arora, Midori, links, elinks, lynx, and Seamonkey to my Internet collection. I also want to note that Konqueror works very well in this implementation.

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2024 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using it now as a live CD. Not bad. First time I dialed out kppp disconnected. Second time it's working, so far.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: