USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

PCLinuxOS 2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2024 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masinick: are you referring to using Konqueror as a web browser or Konqueror as a file manager?

In my experiences, Konqueror seems pretty strong as a browser.

Konqueror as a File manager, well, I've had many issues over the past 3 years when Konqueror was handling large quantities of files at one time, so I've migrated to Dolphin as a file manager. Dolphin is looking really strong as a replacement for Konqueror for managing files.

For me, when Konqueror was failing as my file manager, it usually failed safe (did not delete selected files when crashing, thankfully), but when I handle a few hundred files or more in a batch (photos, MP3s), I want -zero- failures of any kind, no matter whether failing safe or not failing safe. Tracking down Konqueror file handling crashes was a big downfall for my time spend in Linux.

I recently heard (or did I mis-hear?) that Konqueror developers want to give up on fixing Konqueror bugs for Konqueror as a file manager. If that is at all true, I hope that the developers elect to drop all the file management code, for safety sake.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2024 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not heard anything about Konqueror taking any serious departures from the current path, but I am not in the middle of things, so I do not know the latest rumors. People have been calling on the Konqueror and KDE projects for quite some time now to drop the KHTML and adopt either the Webkit approach (even Epiphany did that, and it is MUCH FASTER now), or go with Gecko from the Mozilla project - I don't see that one much any more, most of the people wanting change are enamored with Webkit. Ironically enough, Webkit came from Apple, and it came into being when Apple took the KHTML from Konqueror to form the Safari Web browser. Until Google Chrome came around, Safari was, at one time, the fastest browser out there and for a while, it was considered reasonably bug free, though the criminal world has seen some market for going after Safari and Apple as well as going after Internet Explorer and Microsoft, though to a much lesser degree.

Konqueror does not get picked on much at all; it has a very small presence and recognition factor. The KDE SC 4.4.3 implementation of Konqueror is the best browser implementation I have seen in quite some time. I would be interested in whether the file manager stability has improved again too.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2024 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no matter I guess.

Posting from an Averatec 2370 notebook I will be toying with, it is running PCLOS LXDE as a live CD. I only had to activate the network connection and all is fine.

mmmna is pleased with PCLOS 2024.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmna wrote:
Well, no matter I guess.

Posting from an Averatec 2370 notebook I will be toying with, it is running PCLOS LXDE as a live CD. I only had to activate the network connection and all is fine.

mmmna is pleased with PCLOS 2024.

Glad to hear this. LXDE is certainly a relatively light resource consumer, so I am glad that the network connection worked and that it's all fine. I am using PCLinuxOS 2024.1 today on the Lenovo, right now using the Google Chrome (Chromium) browser that is available in the PCLOS repositories, and it is working fine to come in here and browse around the Web. It does particularly well on sites that use Javascript, but overall, it's just getting better; still "Beta", but more capable for sure than it was last year. PCLOS is also significantly improved over last year (which was not a real good year for them, this year is far better).

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject: PCLinuxOS 2024 "Openbox Reply with quote

NEW • Distribution Release: PCLinuxOS 2024 "Openbox"
PCLinuxOS The lightweight and fast "Openbox" edition of PCLinuxOS 2024 completes the release line-up of the distribution's 2024 series: "PCLinuxOS 2024 Openbox edition provides a fully-featured desktop, showcasing the small, fast, and fully compliant Openbox window manager. Internet applications include Firefox web browser, Sylpheed email client, Pino twitter client and Pidgin for instant messaging. Office applications include AbiWord word processor, Gnumeric spreadsheet and Mozilla Sunbird calendar. Graphic applications include GIMP, GQview, and MTPaint. Features: Linux kernel 2.6.32.11-bfs for maximum desktop performance; Openbox desktop with Tint2 panel; NVIDIA and ATI fglrx driver support; multimedia playback support for many popular formats; wireless support for many network devices...." Read the rest of the release announcement for more details. http://pclinuxos.com/?page_id=542
Download: link downpage
Or at www.distrowatch.com
pclinuxos-openbox-2010.iso (602MB, MD5).

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: