USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

FOX is a C++ based Toolkit for developing GUI's

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2024 10:30 pm    Post subject: FOX is a C++ based Toolkit for developing GUI's Reply with quote

http://www.fox-toolkit.org/

Quote:

FOX is a C++ based Toolkit for developing Graphical User Interfaces easily and effectively. It offers a wide, and growing, collection of Controls, and provides state of the art facilities such as drag and drop, selection, as well as OpenGL widgets for 3D graphical manipulation. FOX also implements icons, images, and user-convenience features such as status line help, and tooltips.Tooltips may even be used for 3D objects!

Considerable importance has been placed on making FOX one of the fastest toolkits around, and to minimize memory use:- FOX uses a number of techniques to speed up drawing and spatial layout of the GUI. Memory is conserved by allowing programmers to create and destroy GUI elements on the fly.

Even though FOX offers a large collection of Controls already, FOX leverages C++ to allow programmers to easily build additional Controls and GUI elements, simply by taking existing controls, and creating a derived class which simply adds or redefines the desired behavior.

One of the prime design goals of FOX is the ease of programming; thus, most controls can be created using a single line of C++ code; most parameters have sensible default values, so that they may be omitted, and layout managers ensure that designers of GUI's do not have to worry about precise alignments.

Another nice feature of FOX which significantly reduces the number of lines of code which have to be written is FOX's ability to have widgets connect to each other, and passing certain commands between them; for example, a menu entry Hide Toolbar can be directly connected to the Toolbar, and cause it to hide.

Finally, FOX makes it easy to maintain the state of the GUI in an application by having the GUI elements automatically updating themselves by interrogating the application's state. This feature eliminates the large amount of effort that may go into sensitizing, graying out, checking/unchecking etc. depending on the application state.

......read more at the above link Smile

mr_ed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2024 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to check it out. I had in the past (at work), but I took their example app (calculator) and compared it to Windows Calculator. The binary for WinCalc was something like 30k, and the FOXCalc was around 400k -- and it didn't do as much. Sad
But it had pretty colours. Smile

Still, if it's a rapid cross-platform tool, it's still worth looking into.

Once I get my laptop on an internet connection, I'm going to try playing around with wxWindows. I wonder how it compares against FOX.

Xeroid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2024 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_ed wrote:
The binary for WinCalc was something like 30k, and the FOXCalc was around 400k -- and it didn't do as much. Sad
But it had pretty colours. Smile

Well, that's the important thing right? Laughing "Look kewl" beats function hands down! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: