USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

XEmacs: New Generation of EMACS

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linuxuser
BANNED

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2024 1:04 am    Post subject: XEmacs: New Generation of EMACS Reply with quote

Hey, I am not a big fan of emacs but those who love it: good news for you:

X-emacs wrote:

XEmacs is a highly customizable open source text editor and application development system. It is protected under the GNU Public License and related to other versions of Emacs, in particular GNU Emacs. Its emphasis is on modern graphical user interface support and an open software development model, similar to Linux. XEmacs has an active development community numbering in the hundreds, and runs on Windows 95 and NT, Linux and nearly every other version of Unix in existence. Support for XEmacs has been supplied by Sun Microsystems, University of Illinois, Lucid, ETL/Electrotechnical Laboratory, Amdahl Corporation, BeOpen, and others, as well as the unpaid time of a great number of individual developers.

Web and FTP hosting graciously provided by Sourceforge, SunSITE.dk and tux.org as well as many world-wide FTP site and Web site mirrors.

Learn more at X-Emacs

Whoever likes emacs?!

jbsnake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2024 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emacs=stinky Smile

masinick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbsnake wrote:
emacs=stinky Smile

Too bad you've acquired that opinion. XEmacs and the software it is loosely based on, GNU Emacs, are certainly not your typical software development tools, but both are extremely powerful, enough so that they can emulate a wide variety of other text editors, they can read your Email, they can browse the Web, and they can send and read news, too. Emacs is one of the original extensible tools. Because it is one of the originals, some of its methods seem dated. Nevertheless, it is an extremely powerful set of tools and utilities, much more than a mere text editor. It might be worth at least trying out, for it certainly is a capable and powerful application.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
maillion
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2024 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to toss in my own two cents worth, I use an editor for three purposes:

1. When I want a URL to use on Windows or if I'm in Windows and I want to transfer a URL to Linux, I will copy and paste it into a text file, and save it on the other drive. (This is better than exporting my bookmarks, then rebooting, importing them, then going in to delete all but the one I want to add.)
2. When I want to make notes about something, whether it is just a URL, or something I want to write about, I want an editor that starts up very quickly, so I don't forget what I am thinking about while I wait.
3. If I am programming something, (which I don't do very often) I like syntax highlighting, but not necessarily external program usage. (I'm not too interested in having an editor that will run the compiler.)

Emacs takes a little too long to start up, even the command line version, so I wouldn't use it for number 1 or number 2. I have tried it for number three, but there is so much stuff in Emacs these days, that the learning curve is too steep for me. Most of the time, I use Notepad in Windows, and Kedit in Linux for at least two thirds of what I do. When I decide to do some programming, I may choose some other, but I am trying out Quanta Plus for HTML, which I may use to replace Arachnophilia which was my favoite until they decided to go entirely with Java code. (I have no problem with Java, but when I tried the new Java version, it was very slow.) I am, off and on, studying Bash scripting, PhP programming, and Perl scripting, and so far all my trial scripts and/or programs have been written using Kedit or Notepad. There has been a minimal learning curve for these two, compared to that of Emacs, so, since using Emacs would mean learning it, as well as Bash, Perl, and PhP, and that would tax my poor, overworked brain. I really ought to pick out just one language to concentrate on, but even if I do, I really don't need to study how to use the editor while I study the language.
Just my own opinion. Cool

geeshock

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2024 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naw, I'm just a vi kinda guy, actualy use vim, different but simmilar. I aquired a distaste for emacs very early and dispite atempts to learn emacs since, I still don't care for the 4 button shortcuts, etc. Just way to complicated an editor for me to edit code or html with but to each thier own. I have a friend that swears by emacs and he is a gaming programmer.

masinick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maillion wrote:
Just to toss in my own two cents worth, I use an editor for three purposes:

1. When I want a URL to use on Windows or if I'm in Windows and I want to transfer a URL to Linux, I will copy and paste it into a text file, and save it on the other drive. (This is better than exporting my bookmarks, then rebooting, importing them, then going in to delete all but the one I want to add.)
2. When I want to make notes about something, whether it is just a URL, or something I want to write about, I want an editor that starts up very quickly, so I don't forget what I am thinking about while I wait.
3. If I am programming something, (which I don't do very often) I like syntax highlighting, but not necessarily external program usage. (I'm not too interested in having an editor that will run the compiler.)

Emacs takes a little too long to start up, even the command line version, so I wouldn't use it for number 1 or number 2. I have tried it for number three, but there is so much stuff in Emacs these days, that the learning curve is too steep for me. Most of the time, I use Notepad in Windows, and Kedit in Linux for at least two thirds of what I do. When I decide to do some programming, I may choose some other, but I am trying out Quanta Plus for HTML, which I may use to replace Arachnophilia which was my favoite until they decided to go entirely with Java code. (I have no problem with Java, but when I tried the new Java version, it was very slow.) I am, off and on, studying Bash scripting, PhP programming, and Perl scripting, and so far all my trial scripts and/or programs have been written using Kedit or Notepad. There has been a minimal learning curve for these two, compared to that of Emacs, so, since using Emacs would mean learning it, as well as Bash, Perl, and PhP, and that would tax my poor, overworked brain. I really ought to pick out just one language to concentrate on, but even if I do, I really don't need to study how to use the editor while I study the language.
Just my own opinion. Cool

Here's just my opinion. I also use tools to get the job done. For straight text editing where I'm mainly formatting text to fit within a certain line width, I sometimes use NEdit instead of Emacs. However, there's not a task, even a simple one, that I've found Emacs incapable of doing. I use the XFCE desktop manager, and I have four distinct window screens, panels, or whatever you want to call them. I put my Web browser in one, my mail client in another, a console terminal in a third, and Emacs in the fourth. I don't worry about startup times because I start it up once per login.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
masinick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, if you want a notepad like editor, yet one that can stretch way past that, NEdit is one of the best. It's a GUI editor, so it has very little initial learning curve, yet when you're ready to do something more, it's extensible. I recommend it as an alternative to other editors for stuff of easy to moderate complexity, especially plain text and stuff requiring rectangular cut and paste. NEdit handles those tasks as well as anything.

For fast system related stuff, every administrator ought to know Vi. For an alternative, people that want a swiss army knife kind of a tool ought to consider Emacs.

lynch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2024 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use it for the Emacs Psychiatrist.
lynch

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2024 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nano is your friend. Wink

masinick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2024 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynch wrote:
I just use it for the Emacs Psychiatrist.
lynch

LOL! Ah, but you can use it for all your programming needs, then perhaps you will FEEL BETTER! Smile

maillion
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2024 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masinick wrote:
By the way, if you want a notepad like editor, yet one that can stretch way past that, NEdit is one of the best. It's a GUI editor, so it has very little initial learning curve, yet when you're ready to do something more, it's extensible. I recommend it as an alternative to other editors for stuff of easy to moderate complexity, especially plain text and stuff requiring rectangular cut and paste. NEdit handles those tasks as well as anything.

For fast system related stuff, every administrator ought to know Vi. For an alternative, people that want a swiss army knife kind of a tool ought to consider Emacs.

Nah! I used Notepad above, because it is familiar to pretty much everyone, as far as I know, and therefore everyone is aware of what it can and cannot do. I don't know one that is as equally familiar to all of us as Notepad, so I used the one that is most familiar to me, Kedit, which is Notepad-like. Notepad has some shortcomings - 1. It can have a file no larger than 32Kilobytes. 2. Only one file may be open at one time. I don't make a file larger than 32 Kb very often, but the 32K limit can cause a lot of frustration when I do. I can get around the one file at a time limitation these days by opening another instance of the program, so that is no big deal. Note: After I made my first post in this thread, I tried out Kate, and it is pretty good. I like the built-in terminal window. It is actually unnecessary, because I can open a terminal window if I really need one while I'm editing a file. It has a very wide range of syntax highlighting options, some of which I don't even recognise. It opens a little slower than a smaller program would, but it seems to fill all my needs, without giving me a lot of stuff (other than the extra syntax highlighting) that I don't need.I've only started it a couple of times now, and the only thing so far that I don't like is that the terminal window seems to insist on being the biggest frame in the window! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: