USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Still to Video app

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Audio and Video Applications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maillion
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2024 5:37 am    Post subject: Still to Video app Reply with quote

I did my first 'experiments' with 'video' back in the '70s with a 16 mm camera that had a single frame button on it. I used it to make a movie of a short, animated chess game in which all the pieces moved automatically, one in which a stone revolved about a vertical axis, and an 'elapsed time' one that showed clouds streaming across the sky. A couple of years ago, I wanted to have a bunch of my photos as a slide show on a web site. I tried it with a show made with PowerPoint, another with an 'animated' gif, and one with a javascript script. I used Gif Construction Set for this. A few months later, I wanted to send a CD to my Uncle with images of my grand daughter's birthday. I thought I could use the gif thing to include a slide show, but it occurred to me that I could also do a screensaver, so I began to look for a program to make one. I found it, but while looking, I found a program that would convert an 'animated' gif to an avi 'video' file. I played around with this for a while, at one point, creating an 'elapsed time' video, using my digital camera. I haven't done an awfull lot of this stuff, because the program I had would only work by first converting the jpeg images to gif then making an 'animated' gif from them, then converting the gif to an avi. Lots and lots of quality loss! I think there could be a lot of fun for me, at least to be able to make a png or at least a jpeg format video in this way. My camera won't take images fast enough to make normal videos, but it could make 'collapsed' and 'elapsed' time videos and cartoon style animations with decent ease, if I can find a program that will combine a series of still images and save them as a video file, like avi or mpeg. I'd further like to be able to do this with Linux. (I think there are M$ programs, but very expensive!) Anybody know of one for Linux? Cool

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2024 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Cinelerra and/or ImageMagick will do what you want. I don't know for sure as I've never really been into it.

maillion
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germ wrote:
I think Cinelerra and/or ImageMagick will do what you want. I don't know for sure as I've never really been into it.

Thanks Germ, but this:

Quote:
RECOMMENDED FRONT END SYSTEM

Dual 2Ghz Athlon.
1GB RAM.
200 GB storage for movie files.
Gigabit ethernet

RECOMMENDED RENDERFARM NODE:

Single 2.4Ghz Athlon.
512MB RAM.
No storage.
100MB ethernet with boot ROM

kind of messes me up on Cinelerra...

ImageMagick will make animated gifs, but not AVIs and so forth. Razz

Crouse mentioned Cinepaint, and I'm considering that... Cool

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2024 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what's up with that, but cinelerra will run on considerably less hardware than that. Also, what you are wanting to do won't be that intensive anyway. I do video conversions(transcoding) on a Athlon 1700+ w/768MB RAM with no problem. It uses 6-8 GB of HDD space during the encoding.

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2024 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already posted this in the other thread - converting JPEG images (you could use imagemagik to use some other type) to mpeg video:

For creating videos from still images:
Use MJPEG tools. HOWTO:
https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.html?docid=3456&group_id=5776#ss4.1
Homepage:
http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Audio and Video Applications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: