USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

levee, or /usr/bin/lev is an EXTREMELY small vi clone

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2024 10:52 pm    Post subject: levee, or /usr/bin/lev is an EXTREMELY small vi clone Reply with quote

I think I may have found one of the smallest, stripped down editors around. I'll have to install ed to compare, but the stripped binary image on this editor is a miniscule 37336 bytes in size!

File editing size is limited with this editor, but it's still quite capable of editing normal text and programs, as long as they are smaller than 260,000 bytes or thereabouts. Frankly, most of the stuff I edit is smaller than that. This editor snaps to attention and looks just like an old copy of vi, minus all the fancy extras added by Elvis and Vim over the years.

If you can do Vi and you want something puny (especially if you want to someday build your own Linux on a boot floppy), look at this beasty. You'd be surprised how powerful it is.

PS: /bin/ed is 39544 bytes on my system, so lev is the smallest editor around!

Oh, I take that back, /bin/cat is only 13912! Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2024 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

masinick

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2024 4:52 pm    Post subject: Yup, lev is the next smallest thing to cat, smaller than ed! Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
Cool
Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: