USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

aspell for bluefish
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liviu

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject: aspell for bluefish Reply with quote

I have a question: i saw that some people are using bluefish as editor and I tried to install it on a box running RH9.
Problem it is that it requires aspell > 0.50 ; so I downloaded and install it (aspell 0.50) but Linux does not recognized by the new aspell - it still reports (at rpm -q) the old one, ie 0.33-7 !!!
I had no errors when I configured and install it, and I put it in /usr as required. aspell.h it's there /usr/include.

Any hints, please?

liviu Sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you installing from source or RPM?
Remove the old one maybe you have to use --nodep to skip removing all the stuff that depends on it. Install the new one with --prefix=/usr rather than /usr/local (the default)
When I talk about the prefix I mean when you do:
Code:
./configure

do
Code:
./configure --prefix="/usr"

instead. The default place for installing stuff from source is /usr/local which doesn't get searched by many distros and definately will get overridden by an older version installed in /usr.
Also, run ldconfig afterwards to update the dynamic linker.

liviu

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uninstalled the old one. Recompiled the new aspell (o-50)- everything OK.
Now I'm trying to figure out how to use the dynamic linker.
BTW, in RH I have ld, not ldconfig.

Thx again, Nukes!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2024 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liviu wrote:

You don't need to learn how to use the dynamic linker - its in the background. Think of libs as a similar thing to dll files in windows.
ldconfig just updates the search paths and such.
man ldconfig wrote:
ldconfig creates the necessary links and cache to the most recent shared libraries found in the directories specified on the command line, in the file /etc/ld.so.conf, and in the trusted directories (/lib and /usr/lib). The cache is used by the run-time linker, ld.so or ld-linux.so. ldconfig checks the header and file names of the libraries it encounters when determining which versions should have their links updated.

Does installing bluefish work now?
You might need to 'inject' the stuff into RPM (why I don't like it) as deps might fail in future now.

masinick

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2024 4:17 pm    Post subject: This is why packages by themselves are a problem Reply with quote

Nukes wrote:
liviu wrote:

You don't need to learn how to use the dynamic linker - its in the background. Think of libs as a similar thing to dll files in windows.
ldconfig just updates the search paths and such.
man ldconfig wrote:
ldconfig creates the necessary links and cache to the most recent shared libraries found in the directories specified on the command line, in the file /etc/ld.so.conf, and in the trusted directories (/lib and /usr/lib). The cache is used by the run-time linker, ld.so or ld-linux.so. ldconfig checks the header and file names of the libraries it encounters when determining which versions should have their links updated.

Does installing bluefish work now?
You might need to 'inject' the stuff into RPM (why I don't like it) as deps might fail in future now.

The better distributions out there have a tool for automatically examining and resolving dependencies between libraries and applications. Mandrake uses urpmi, Fedora Core uses either apt or yum, Debian uses apt, and recently, Slackware added swaret. Just using .rpm, .deb, .tgz, or other packaging formats by themselves without any dependency resolution at all is almost certain to cause problems - either now or the next time something gets installed. Fortunately, nearly all major distributions now have at least one, sometimes two or three, package dependency management tools which greatly improve this situation.

Red Hat uses up2date by default, and apt or yum if you have installed them. Depending on which release of Red Hat your'e using, you may have access to all three of these tools, any of which are capable of resolving this packaging issue.

As Nukes suggests, removing offending packages, then updating the latest releases needed is the best way to clean up the situation. But unless you do that with either up2date (the standard Red Hat tool), apt (which has been ported from Debian to Red Hat), or yum, (the latest package management tool, created at Duke University and added to the Red Hat Fedora Core project), you'll continue to experience ongoing problems. Therefore, pick up2date, apt, or yum (or a tool that runs one of these package management systems) and update your system.

liviu

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you masinick . I have up2date but it doesn't work - registration problem.
Maybe it's because I'm behind a firewall.

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2024 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masinick wrote:
But unless you do that with either up2date (the standard Red Hat tool), apt (which has been ported from Debian to Red Hat), or yum, (the latest package management tool, created at Duke University and added to the Red Hat Fedora Core project), you'll continue to experience ongoing problems. Therefore, pick up2date, apt, or yum (or a tool that runs one of these package management systems) and update your system.

Is there no way to reliably inject a package into RPM? It would be pretty complicated seeing as it keeps track of all the libs and files.

masinick

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2024 1:46 am    Post subject: Depends what you consider "reliable" Reply with quote

Nukes wrote:
masinick wrote:
But unless you do that with either up2date (the standard Red Hat tool), apt (which has been ported from Debian to Red Hat), or yum, (the latest package management tool, created at Duke University and added to the Red Hat Fedora Core project), you'll continue to experience ongoing problems. Therefore, pick up2date, apt, or yum (or a tool that runs one of these package management systems) and update your system.

Is there no way to reliably inject a package into RPM? It would be pretty complicated seeing as it keeps track of all the libs and files.

Personally, I often blast packages into place with rpm -Uvh file.rpm, and if it won't go in, I'll force it in using force and nodeps arguments. But I also tend to frequently update and/or replace rpm-based distributions in their entirety, but I nearly always install and upgrade packages to my Debian system rather than get them from a CD based distribution.

When I upgrade a system, I use up2date for Red Hat, yum for Fedora Core, and urpmi for Mandrake. I've used Yast2 with SuSE a few times, but SuSE usually doesn't make the cut on my system when I'm testing many distros. I usually write over it before I do much with it.

liviu

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look what I think: in a month or so, should appear the new RH - now I have RH9.
The new one will have some goodies - new kernel (now I have 2.4.20-Cool i2c, new aspell, lmsensors aso.
This is because, even if I've run ldconfig, the bluefish.rpm doesn't recognize it aso. It seems that this it requires lots of time this story (and I certainly don't have time) and so, I prefer a global upgrade of packages.

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2024 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're after a new RH distro, why not use Fedora? Its a continuation of the RH desktop branch when they discontinued it.
At least look at the likes of debian - they make this sort of thing SOO easy.

liviu

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I am working to finish my PhD and the box with RH (the one i was speaking about) it's the one on which I work. After I'll finish I'd love to play more with Linux - but, again, IF I'll have time (during PostDoc) I'd like to play more with slack, or to start arch_linux.
Regards, liviu

masinick

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2024 12:51 am    Post subject: Best wishes in graduate school! Reply with quote

liviu wrote:
Right now I am working to finish my PhD and the box with RH (the one i was speaking about) it's the one on which I work. After I'll finish I'd love to play more with Linux - but, again, IF I'll have time (during PostDoc) I'd like to play more with slack, or to start arch_linux.
Regards, liviu

Liviu, I wish you the very best as you work on finishing your PhD. Once you complete your PhD, perhaps you can create a multi distro system. I have at least ten systems on one single 40 GB disk. I got there by partitioning the disk into twelve partitions. I use one of them as my swap partition, I used to have Windows 2024 Professional on one of them, and I had Linux on eight or nine partitions. These days, I have OpenBSD where Windows 2024 Pro used to be, and I have several Linux distributions. I've cut back a few distros and I now use a couple of the partitions as data partitions. I reserve one entire partition as a Web/Email partition, on which I keep my complete Mozilla context. I create a soft link from this partition to the hidden .mozilla directory in my home directory. Then I reserve another disk for temporarily storing ISO images that I can burn to CD, documents and kits that I want to install or save, and any other information that I am transferring around that I may end up using on more than one distribution.

Perhaps that will give you a few ideas for the future. Meanwhile, best wishes as you complete your work!

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extended partitions mess with your head after a bit. I don't use them anymore..
Good luck with your PhD Smile

masinick

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2024 11:41 pm    Post subject: Studying Extended and logical partitions yield PhD! Reply with quote

Nukes wrote:
Extended partitions mess with your head after a bit. I don't use them anymore..
Good luck with your PhD Smile

Extended and logical partitions really aren't difficult at all to deal with, you simply have to do your homework before you create and use them.

Ziff Davis Media sent me a Dell Dimension 4100 desktop computer in early 2024 so that I could test and review Linux distributions for them and write about them. They sent me the system with Windows 2024 Professional on it. I carved up that disk like crazy, and I've been using it ever since. Less than a year after I got the system, I got rid of Windows altogether and put several Linux and BSD systems on it. I've had few problems, and none which have resulted in loss of critical data.

Like I said, though, I did do my homework and I studied up on partition tools and boot loaders before I even began the project. These days I don't need to research those topics at all, except perhaps to keep abreast of any recent changes. Boot loaders and partition managers aren't really that complicated, but they are capable of damaging a system quickly when they are improperly used.

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extended partitions are fine, the numbering can seem a little odd at first. The time they start messing with your head is when you're in BSD and you have 3 partitions say taking all the hard disk, primary linux, extended Linux, BSD diskslice.
The first two are easy enough to deal with, the BSD one is when it gets confusing to me. Then again I haven't done that much with *BSD so maybe I should keep my mouth shut Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: