USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Cube- opensource 3D FPS game

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThRoNkA

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2024 5:53 am    Post subject: Cube- opensource 3D FPS game Reply with quote

AS you know, I have been using Linux for a long time and I finally decided to find a 3d FPS multiplayer game. What I found was just amazing. Cube, a cross platform game for Linux, Mac and Windows is amazing. uses SDL and OpenGL to create this wonderful game.

It plays like Quake 3 and its better. It has a BUILT IN LEVEL EDITOR so you can make your level and play it at the same time. I know that sound crazy, but this guy did it! It is just jaw dropping.

Linux users and play WIndows users and vice versa. The screen shots will speak for themselves.
Honestly.. you have to see it to beleive it. And to think this game is only 22MB!

More info can be found at:
http://www.cubeengine.com/

Enjoy my friends!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2024 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Thanks ! Very Happy

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2024 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Far Cry I can't help but think this provided some inspiration for the level editor.
Personally, I preferred using q3rad or worldcraft, along with quakec. It's a good engine at its core, but could do with some content creation and some tweaking. Stuff I'm not capable of yet.
It's probably on a par with quake/q2 or something from a technical point of view, and some of the quake source mods made excellent games (Tenebrae, Darkplaces etc which added pixel shading like doom 3/hl2 will have)
Crystal Space is also undergoing a bit rewrite which will be good when it's done. (It's good now, but they're adding all sorts of stuff to optomise it for hardware rendering.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: