USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Transfer video from a camcorder using USB?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Audio and Video Applications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_ed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2024 2:21 am    Post subject: Transfer video from a camcorder using USB? Reply with quote

We just bought a video camera, but looking on the web, it doesn't look like it's possible to transfer via USB. Sad

Everything I've uncovered about tools for Linux require a FireWire card, which I'll probably need to buy if I'm going to use it in Linux.

I haven't tried it yet (the camcorder is still charging), but I have my doubts. Sad

sasha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2024 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 10 page tutorial on how to transfer video from a camera onto a computer in a Linux Format Magazine and I reread it again. It doesn't even mention USB. Sad

mmmna
. . . . . . .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2024 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have graphics cards from Savage that have S-Video connections.... I believe there avenues for Linux to capture S-Video and/or composite video to disk, called Personal Video Recorders or PVRs.

Also, might something here be of any help?
Here is a good one: USB device for capturing USB to PVR software: http://pvrusb.sourceforge.net/

Ah, yes: AVerMedia makes capture cards (TigerDirect has one on sale right now, $29 before S/H). AVerMedia knows something about Linux: http://www.aver.com/products/security_lx5000.shtml is a link to their LX5000 series capture cards, and the word Linux is used as follows:
AVerMedia wrote:
AVerMedia LX5000 Series, with extra powerful video capture cards, works as a real time digital video recording solution based on Linux system and allows you to capture true color images and videos from 4 up to 16 cameras
In any event, it looks like either a new card or a new device is the only answer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Audio and Video Applications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: