USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Thunderbird 0.7

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2024 12:03 am    Post subject: Thunderbird 0.7 Reply with quote

Can't tell any difference in this and the rc. Still looks good. Wink

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/0.7/

masinick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2024 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbird is getting just about good enough that I'm considering moving to it as my every day Email client. Right now I use Mozilla Debian Package 1.7-2 as my primary Internet access point. I use Mozilla for Web browsing and as my Email client. I don't generally use the News client; I tend to use GNU Emacs Gnus for that.

I rate Mozilla highly, but it is big. The combination of Firefox and Thunderbird is a bit more reasonable.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
gentooian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive used thunderbird since 0.3. I didnt notice anything wrong with it except that every once in a while some messages that I had already read were marked as unread. Then I imported all my mail to kmail just to mess around with it and discovered somthing amazing.....

thunderbird never deleted any of the mail that I deleted from the trash. So when I imported all the mail there were thousands of message (from the past year and a half) which I had deleted.

masinick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozilla based Email programs do not, by default, physically remove any messages (though I believe that there is a setting in wich you can instruct it to do so). By default, though, mail gets moved from the folder being read to the Trash folder when it is deleted. You can then empty the Trash folder, and you can also compact the folder. I have my Email client periodically compact folders, but I also explicitly empty my Trash and compact my folders. Thunderbird, Mozilla, and Netscape Email clients all work this way.

BTW, I really like KMail, it has worked well for a long time. In fact, it is one of the best Email clients around. However, I can use Mozilla Mail portably across many Linux distros, whether I have KMail or not. I also use Mozilla Mail when I have to run on other systems, and I've gotten used to it.
Thunderbird is a very good implementation of Mozilla Mail, and the current version is significantly improved over version 0.3, enough so that it nearly equals all of the features found in either Mozilla or Netscape Mail (as seen in Mozilla 1.7 or Netscape 7.1).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: