USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Can't get KMail to work

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2024 5:17 am    Post subject: Can't get KMail to work Reply with quote

I've tried and tried, but as a newbie to Linux Embarassed , I must have done something wrong Confused . I used the instructions on the KMail Help pages to configure it, but when I send the email, it erases the address that I put in TO:, Twisted Evil and inserts my name, (but not my email address) Evil or Very Mad . I get the following (pardon the mess, I'm trying to reproduce it on my Windows machine by 'hand.');
Error - KMail
Sending failed:
The server did not accept the sender address.

The server responded: "5.5.4 <Myname <>>... Domain name required for sender address"

The message will stay in the 'outbox' folder until you either fix the problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message from the 'outbox' folder.

Note: Other messages will also be blocked by thie message, as long as it is in the 'outbox' folder.

The following transport protocol was used:

mail.nw.centurytel.net

I have configured the KMail three times now, using the information provided by my ISP (centurytel), deleting the information each time, but the result is always the same Crying or Very sad . Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong Confused ? Oh, btw, I have a Mandrake 9.2 machine and a SuSe 9 machine (as well as a WinXP machine), but I haven't tried to do the email on SuSE yet until I get it fixed on the Mandrake Wink . Thanks, JP

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2024 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have evolution installed as well with your mandrake system..... give it a shot instead if your having issues with kmail.

if you know how to setup outlook express on a windows computer..... evolution and kmail are "almost" identical. I suggest checking your windows machine settings for email.... writing them down, and try entering them in the configurations sections for the emai client your trying to get working.

Kmail is a love/hate thing for me...... evolution usually has no issues for me though. In mandrake 10 ... kmail is part of a KDE groupware client called Kontact. Havent set it up yet..... as evolution seems more mature as far as groupware clients go.

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2024 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and BTW...... welcome to USALUG Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2024 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THX, I'll try Evolution, I just thot that KMail would be better, you know, KDE and all. I'll let you know how it goes.Thanks, JP

mushroom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2024 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to KMail => Settings => Configure KMail => Identities => Modify => General.... is your e-mail address there ? from there goto Advanced ..... is your e-mail address there (return to) ?

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2024 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution froze up the computer, had to ctrl,alt,backspace (learned that from my kid, I hope that was the right thing to do) to restart, but now the kmail works. Do you think I need to take all of the info out of kMail to sign up on Evolution? Thanks, JP

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2024 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JP. Welcome to USAlug. Very Happy

excuse me if I misunderstood you, but you can use the same info from kmail to setup evolution, but you do not have to take it out. You can run more than one email client. Probably not at the same time on the same account.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2024 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THX Germ, but the Ximian Summary freezes up the computer, over and over. I guess I will have to get rid of KMail and try Evolution on it's own. I kinda hate to, just as I finally make something work on my Linux machine, but if I'm going to learn, I gotta keep tryin new things. Thanks to all, JP

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2024 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no reason to take kmail off.... if it's working..... leave it alone..... then concentrate on your problems with evolution. No reason i can see to remove kmail at all.

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2024 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there's no reason to remove kmail. The only way you could have trouble is trying to connect to the same email account at the same time with evolution and kmail. Use one or the other to check your mail, but not both at once.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2024 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got Evolution to set up! but now there is another issue Sad. I can get the mail working from my ISP, but can't see any of my hotmail accounts. Is this just something that happens between microsoft and Linux? I use the same mailserver address from outlook to configure Evolution, (http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp) and apply an click OK, but when I open it back up it only has the 'http' in the box. THX, Jim

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: