USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Mozilla 1.7.6 Released
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2024 11:52 am    Post subject: Mozilla 1.7.6 Released Reply with quote

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.7.6/

masinick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mozilla 1.7.6 Released Reply with quote

Germ wrote:
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.7.6/

This may well be the last version of the Mozilla suite produced BY the Mozilla Foundation. Work MAY continue on the Mozilla suite, but if so, it will probably be by a different group of volunteers rather than by any of the previous owners (Netscape, AOL, then Mozilla Foundation).

Firefox is now the preferred and supported Web browser, and Thunderbird is now the supported Email client. I notice that each of them has also come out with their own respective maintenance release.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2024 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope not.... I much prefer mozilla over Firefox. The integration of web browser/email client/irc client/calendar/addressbook/ web composer make for a "one stop shop" for most of my web needs. I am extremely fond of the addressbook and the browser.

OpenSUSE 10.1 Kernel 2.6.13-15.8-smp #1 SMP
Redhat Linux 3.0ES
Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I sure hope not.... I much prefer mozilla over Firefox.

Yup.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2024 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just d/l'ed Mozilla for my Libranet box. It's version 1.5, I can't upgrade to 1.7.6 without losing all the bookmarks, etc. (Mozilla site says don't install one over the other, remove the one you have, then install the new one) I was hoping to get the latest version, nuts!! Sad

sasha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2024 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP, click on the bookmarks tab and click "manage bookmarks" There (in the new window) click on the "file tab" and click export. This will export all of your bookmarks into a file. Once you install the new browser, you can import your bookmarks by pressing import this time. Smile

masinick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2024 3:21 am    Post subject: IT's true, the big suite is officially through Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
I sure hope not.... I much prefer mozilla over Firefox. The integration of web browser/email client/irc client/calendar/addressbook/ web composer make for a "one stop shop" for most of my web needs. I am extremely fond of the addressbook and the browser.

There MAY be more versions of the full Mozilla suite coming out, but they WON'T be coming from the Mozilla Foundation, current official owners of the Mozilla code base. The code is freely available, though, so there is no reason that ANOTHER effort can't continue if enough people are interested in making it happen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mozilla Foundation said in their release that they would maintain a stable updated 1.7 branch.

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2024 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Firefox is a fine browser...... I actually only have ONE major complaint with it. Maybe someone has the answer ..........

When I download stuff.... it goes DIRECTLEY to one directory.... yeah i know it can be changed by opening up the preferences dialog box and correcting the path.....but that's a big pain. I like the way Mozilla opens up the download dialog box and asks you where you want to put the download..... it makes more sense to me that way. I also like the address book for mozilla, although kaddress might be able to take the place of that. Ideally, I'd like to see The mozilla foundation make it a seperate application altogether.

Redhat Linux 3.0ES
masinick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject: Security and bug fixes, no major new development Reply with quote

Germ wrote:
The Mozilla Foundation said in their release that they would maintain a stable updated 1.7 branch.

Mozilla Foundation will support what's already there, but new developments will go into the other individual applications, Firefox (browser), Thunderbird (Email client), and the developing calendar application (and potentially other emerging applications).

That doesn't preclude others from building NEW functionality, it just won't be supported by the foundation. You are right, though, that they won't be simply DUMPING the release, it will have security and bug fixes and the 1.8 tree will be used as a kind of integrated sandbox for the individual components. Unless they do ANOTHER turn about face, the 1.8 release, if released at all, will be supported by someone other than the Mozilla Foundation.

coastie
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2024 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
Well, Firefox is a fine browser...... I actually only have ONE major complaint with it. Maybe someone has the answer ..........

When I download stuff.... it goes DIRECTLEY to one directory.... yeah i know it can be changed by opening up the preferences dialog box and correcting the path.....but that's a big pain. I like the way Mozilla opens up the download dialog box and asks you where you want to put the download..... it makes more sense to me that way.

there is a way....i do it at home....when i get some time i will pm it to ya.

Live disk: Slax
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2024 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cool Thanks Coastie Smile

Redhat Linux 3.0ES
shebang

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2024 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouse wrote:

When I download stuff.... it goes DIRECTLEY to one directory.... yeah i know it can be changed by opening up the preferences dialog box and correcting the path.....but that's a big pain. I like the way Mozilla opens up the download dialog box and asks you where you want to put the download..... it makes more sense to me that way. I also like the address book for mozilla, although kaddress might be able to take the place of that. Ideally, I'd like to see The mozilla foundation make it a seperate application altogether.

1) Open Firefox Razz
2) Edit->Preferences->Download-> "Ask me where to save every file"

I'm running Mozilla Firefox 1.0.2

coastie
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2024 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks shebang....unfortunately i am at work...and uncle sam only uses windows and ie. Sad

Live disk: Slax
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2024 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Was right in front of me the whole time....... as usual Laughing

Redhat Linux 3.0ES
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: