USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

UT2004 + Suse 9.3 x86_64

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VHockey86

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2024 11:45 pm    Post subject: UT2004 + Suse 9.3 x86_64 Reply with quote

Alright...so Unreal Tournament 2024 didn't go as smoothly as planned out-of-the-box on a Suse Pro 9.3 x86_64 ftp install.

Basic System:
AMD64 3200+ (Venice)
1GB RAM
PNY 6800GT

Here's a basic recap of what I ended up doing to get it working.

First I attempted to install the nvidia driver using YOU (YaST online update) as instructed by various Suse support pages (and even Nvidia's release notes). For whatever reason, I couldn't seem to get the driver to work properly, even after manually changing the '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' file so that the driver was 'nvidia' rather than 'nv'.

NVIDIA DRIVERS:

(If you already have your nvidia drivers installed properly skip down to the UK2k4 installation section)

I downloaded the AMD64 nvidia linux drivers from:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_1.0-7676.html

I used YaST --> Install Software, changed the Filter to "Selections" and checked C/C++ Compiler and Tools (this is for the gcc needed to compile the nvidia driver). I'm assuming just running 'YaST -i gcc' would work as well, but I wanted/needed the rest of the C compiler tools anyways for compiling other applications.

I also used Yast online update to install the latest versions of
'The Linux Kernel'

For some reason I couldn't find the latest version of the kernel-source in the updater without installing it first, so I installed 'kernel-source' with YaST and then updated kernel-source with YOU.

Switch to run-level 3 for driver installation. I did this by:
'Left Control + Alt + F1' to get to another terminal login, logged in as root, and ran 'init 3'

Next, 'cd' to the directory where you downloaded the nvidia driver file and run
'sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-7676-pkg2.run'

If it asks you to try and download an updated kernel module, say no. It will now tell you it needs to attempt to compile one. If you get an error about not finding the kernel.h file, then you probably don't have the correct version of the kernel-source (make sure its the updated one to go along with the updated kernel from YOU).

If all went well with the nvidia driver install, run 'init 5' to get back into KDE.
Open up a konsole and switch to root (su)

Run 'sax2 -m 0=nvidia' (0 is a digit, not a letter!). A GUI thing should pop up, just press finish. Restart your computer.

If all went well, you should see the Nvidia splash-screen just before the KDE desktop loads. For 'glxgears' my 6800Gt gets about 16700FPS. This is just another check that the drivers are working ok.

UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2024 INSTALLATION

The UT2K4 installation is kind of pain due to the way Suse 9.3 deals with the cdrom media. Instead of mounting all cds to /mnt/cdrom or /mnt/dvd or /mnt/cdrom2, Suse mounts it to /media/CD_volume_name_here. This makes it so the UT2k4 installer doesn't find the cds.

1) Put in Disc 1 from the installation set (not the play disc), and copy the linux-installer.sh file from the CD to your hard drive

2) open a console and 'cd' to the directory that you saved the installer to. I put it in a folder called UT2004 in my home directory. Start the installation script as your local user with './linux-installer.sh' or 'sh linux-installer.sh'

3) It should load up and ask you for your CD-key, type it in and proceed. Now it should ask you for Disc-2. Put installer disc-2 into your cd-rom. Now you need to figure out what the device of your cd-rom is.

If its the primary-master, it should be /dev/hda
primary-slave, /dev/hdb
secondary-master, /dev/hdc
secondary-slave, /dev/hdd

However this is not always concrete. Open up YaST control center and goto Hardware --> Cd-roms. There it should show the name of the drive and the Device name

Create the directory /mnt/cdrom (probably need/want to be root for this)

Now mount your cd-rom device to the new directory. In my case, my cd-rom was /dev/hda, replace as needed.

'mount /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom'

I'm not entirely sure if this is needed, but I had read to do it while googling, so I did.
As your local user, goto the directory where you are running the linux-installer.sh for ut2k4 and run the command
'export SETUP_CDROM=/mnt/cdrom'

Press 'OK' in the installer dialog.

Once it asks for the new CD, run 'umount /mnt/cdrom' so that the system will allow you to eject the disc.

Repeat the 'mount /dev/hda /mnt/cdrom' command once the next CD-rom is in the drive.

The order was a little goofy, I had to go from
Disc 1 --> Disc 2 --> Disc 3 --> Disc 4 --> Disc 5 --> Back to Disc 1 again during the install process.

Once all of that is done, you can unmount your final cd-rom, and simply run 'ut2004' from the command prompt and enjoy some great frags.

Here's a quick summary/recap

1) Install kernel-source, gcc, make
2) Switch to run-level 3 and run nvidia driver installer
3) Start KDE back up (init 5)
4) 'sax2 -m 0=nvidia' as root, press finish.
5) Restart system (confirm nvidia splash screen)
6) Copy 'linux-installer.sh' from install-disc 1 to your home directory and run it
7) 'export SETUP_CDROM=/mnt/cdrom'
8) mount cd-roms to /mnt/cdrom when prompted by installer, unmount if needed to eject
9) launch 'ut2004' and have fun.

Rootboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2024 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice writeup.

VHockey86

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2024 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » All other software. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: