USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Video Slideshow of pictures
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Audio and Video Applications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coastie
Moderator Bot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2024 11:33 pm    Post subject: Video Slideshow of pictures Reply with quote

My wife is wanting to make some slideshows of some of our pictures set to music. I've found that qdvdauthor can be used for this, but we were wanting to keep it in mpg format. Anyone here done such a project with another app?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2024 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst Case Scenario - Use the DVD author to make the DVD and then convert the VOBS back to mpg?

MacBook: OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
mr_ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2024 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this out: It's not very spiffy, but it'll work.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6953
Specifically, look at the Processing Pictures and Adding Music sections. It's all command line, btw.

coastie
Moderator Bot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2024 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm lazy Surprised , but if i gotta, then i gotta

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
coastie
Moderator Bot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2024 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mr_ed Very Happy

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2024 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the Search, Luke...

http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.html?t=5859&highlight=slideshow

http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.html?t=8178&highlight=slideshow

coastie
Moderator Bot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks germ, shoulda known it would've been in the thousands of apps you find Wink

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ya never know... Very Happy

oldcpu

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2024 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a KDE user, I find mandvd works well for this (although I think there is a 100 photo limitation). One can also put in video clips.
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.html?content=38347

However the mixing of still images and video clips, in mandvd, while possible, is not as user friendly as I would like. (I would even go to far as say as it is awkward for mixing video and still pix when using the GUI).

dvdslideshow allows the making of slideshows (from still images) with music, but one needs to master the command line interface.
http://dvd-slideshow.sourceforge.net/wiki/Main_Page

I see there is a recent thread on this in usalug:
http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.html?t=9684

bdquick
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2024 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you here oldcpu.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2024 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome oldcpu ! Glad to have you here Exclamation

oldcpu

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multimedia under Linux is a hobby of mine.

I am somewhat frustrated that the Linux Non-Linear Video Editors are not up to par with what I have seen in the MS-Windows area. I am not an MS-Windows user, but my wife is, and she has been "beating me up" pretty badly the past few weeks, with what she can do with WinXP Movie Maker, and with what I can NOT (yet) do with kdenlive, mandvd, nor cinelerra, either due to Linux application functional limitation, or Linux application lack of user friendliness.

I am now of the view that in order to create a good home video (of one's travels) where the home video mixes still images and short video clips, one needs to either:

a. convert all still images to short 4-second video clips via the command line, so they can be easily imported to kdenlive, mandvd, cinelerra, or someother Linux application (and hence easily mixed with those tools timeline), or

b. wait for a further kdenlive, mandvd, cinelerra, ... etc .. update to have the feature I want (in a user friendly manner), or

c. keep trying new applications (for example, I see vivia may start development again, and it may do what I want: http://vivia-video.org/ ), or

d. let my wife do all the intitial video file editing/creation with WinXP. While WinXP movie maker she can make a .wmv file (640x480 resolution), which she in turn gives to me. Then I can use the Linux application xvidenc http://sourceforge.net/projects/xvidenc to take her .wmv and create a reasonable quality .avi file. I can then convert the .avi file to a .mpeg file using tovid http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page). Once the file is in .mpg dvd compatible format, there are a host of tools I can use to create a home dvd with a home created menu (mandvd, kdvdauthorwizard, etc .... ).

But my preference would be to do this all in Linux.

oldcpu

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: still images to short video clips Reply with quote

Reference my comment about converting still images to short video clips, some more detail here. If one looks this thread, there is guidance on how to do this:
http://gecius.de/linux/dvd.html

Which I quote below:
Quote:
Photos

Now, I wanted to add all the digital pictures to that DVD, as there was plenty of space on the disc. But it also needs additional steps to convert the images to a DVD-compatible format, which, you're right, is mpeg.

To change the images to the correct aspect-ration for tv (pal, in my case), I did

montage -geometry 720x576 -background black -quality 100 inputimage.jpg convertedimage.jpg

If there are borders to cover, e.g. for a portrait image, these will be black (-background parameter). If you want to do this for a whole batch of images, try a little more complex shell command

for i in *.JPG; do montage -geometry 720x576 -background black -quality 100 $i conv-$i; done

This will get every *.JPG file in the current directory (think of case matters!), convert it and write the newly generated image to the file conv-(original-image-name). Hence you keep the original, but also have the target.

Now we need to convert the jpeg to a proper mpeg-stream. This is done with the command

jpeg2yuv -n 25 -I p -f 25 -j conv-image.jpg |mpeg2enc -f 8 -o image.m2v; mplex -f 8 -o image.mpg image.m2v silence.mp2

This makes a 1 second yuv-stream (25 frames/second [-f 25], 25 [-n 25] frames total) of the image using progressive interleave (-I p). The second part encodes this yuv-stream to an mpeg stream, using the DVD-format [-f 8], putting the results in the file image.m2v (as this is video only, so far). Finally, we add some audio (silence.mp2) to the stream, again, using the DVD-format [-f 8]. As you would have guessed, silence.mp2 is a mp2 with silence. You can generate one yourself like this

arecord -f dat -twav -d 1 silence.wav

mp2enc -r 48000 -o silence.mp2 < silence.wav

I had some trouble piping the m2v directly into mplex, so I did the step with the intermediary m2v as a file. Use the same logic with the for-loop above for generating some more files in one step

I successfully used the above to create video clips, and once the still images were all video clips (of the correct size for pal and/or ntsc, dependant on who the home movie video was intended for) I was able to use the existing Linux non-linear video editors, and mix the original still images (now short videos) and the longer original videos to create my custom home movie.

But this does take extra time, and I find it annoying this is necessary.

oldcpu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2024 9:06 pm    Post subject: Open Movie Editor has improved Reply with quote

I installed a recent update to Open Movie Editor (2007-06-07), and it is more stable now than it was in the past.
http://openmovieeditor.sourceforge.net/HomePage

I find it works reasonable for mixing video's and still images. It doesn't crash as much as it use to when rendering a clip. The main thing I "miss" in it is it has only a limited selection of transitions from one clip (or image) to another.

But its a big improvement (in stability and functionality) over the applications (kdenlive, mandvd, & cinelerra) that I had played with in my previous posts (for what I want to do, which is mix home video clips with home still images).

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2024 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Open Movie Editor has improved Reply with quote

oldcpu wrote:
I installed a recent update to Open Movie Editor (2007-06-07), and it is more stable now than it was in the past.
http://openmovieeditor.sourceforge.net/HomePage

I find it works reasonable for mixing video's and still images. It doesn't crash as much as it use to when rendering a clip. The main thing I "miss" in it is it has only a limited selection of transitions from one clip (or image) to another.

But its a big improvement (in stability and functionality) over the applications (kdenlive, mandvd, & cinelerra) that I had played with in my previous posts (for what I want to do, which is mix home video clips with home still images).

That looks pretty interesting ........ they have some cool shirts for sale too Smile

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Audio and Video Applications All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: