USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Can't get K3B to work in Slackware 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Audio and Video Applications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2024 3:51 am    Post subject: Can't get K3B to work in Slackware 11 Reply with quote

Am enjoying my new Slackware 11 install, but the distro lacks K3B. There is a "cdrdao" app, but it appears to be command line only with so many commands I find it intimidating.

Downloaded from a Slackware site and md5sums checked, I used both the "pkgtool" and the command line "installpkg" to try to get K3b running.

The app appears in the menu (minus the usual small icon) and seems to launch only for the blink of an eye. Uninstalling and command line "installpkg -warn.." did not show any problems. A previous SuSE 9.3 install had K3B working fine on my ol' Sony CD-WR burner.

Is Slackware default kernel (2.4.**, I think) too old for a 6-year-old CD Burner?? I installed the ReiserFS (same as the SuSE).

Any suggestions appreciated

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

must have been bad CD. K3b installed and works just fine for me. The 2.4.x kernel is fine.

You can go here to get the latest k3b for slack 11:
http://www.linuxpackages.net/search_view.html?by=name&name=k3b&ver=11.0

Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2024 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Germ.

I did download from your link, and it appears to be a little different version. No md5sums were offered, so I downloaded from 2 mirrors and matched the download md5sums to make certain they at least matched-then installed both, trying pkgtool and installpkg.

When I go to the KDE menu System, I see the regular K3B icon with a "setup" offered. Hitting that, I get an error message "the specified library k3bsetup2 could not be found" with some explanations that there were orphaned modules from an upgrade or 3rd party modules lying around- hard to believe on a new install.

Open KPackage-can find the K3B app. Open the "files" and cannot find /opt/xxxxk3bsetup2 (forget exact pattern).

Too tired to go any further tonight. Will try again tomorrow

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2024 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been some packaging issues with the newest versions of k3b. k3b setup is no longer required or included and the "run as root" warning is invalid but was not removed.

Just go to setup from within k3b.

Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2024 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I "Just go to setup from within k3b." ?? The "k3bsetup" line in the system menu is what gives me the error message, so you are advising something new to me. I did purchase the Slackware Essentials book if you need to refer me to a chapter with a lengthy explaination.

I exploded the package to see how that works-- cool. Am too much a newB to know a manual setup procedure by doing some sort of "tag line" stuff.

the Slackware is running so smoothly, I hate to think of a re-install. All the md5sums checked out when I burned my install CD's.

Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2024 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe I should ferret out an older version of K3B

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2024 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

start k3b and from the k3b menu go to setup. Don't use the "setup" entry in the system menu.

Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't get as far as setup. I get this message in the shell:
k3b: error while loading shared libraries: libsamplerate.so.0: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

two "required" pkgs (libsamplerate >= 0.1.2, and libdvdread >= 0.9.7) are nowhere to be found. Missing suggested ones: ffmpeg, lame, libmpcdec, and libsndfile.

Strangely, my Slax CD sets everything up in the Live Mode, recognizes the

I tried to find some of these pkgs at Slackware, but no success. They must be installed separately. Could I find them on the install CD's?

It might be easier for me to s**** it up and learn to run cdrdao from the command line.

nukes
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That means the package was compiled with a different version of libsamplerate. I find you're best off installing from source on slackware.

However, you might get it to run if you have all those libraries installed. (just different versions) Just symlink the libsamplerate.so.* to .so.0. (I know they're only supposed to change the number at the end if it breaks the ABI, but this works for me 90% of the time.)

Also, for CD burning under 2.4 iirc you need the ide-scsi driver (unless the /dev/ thing for cdrecord works there too, haven't tried it).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2024 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am way over my head Sad

I was able to initiate K3B setup in the shell but with same error message.

Downloaded the K3B binary, but trying the ./configure thing produced:

"configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"

The K3B tarball did show the libsamplerate files- quite a few of them.

I ran "cdrdao drive-info" which returned: "cannot setup device /dev/cdrecorder", so I think there are deeper problems than just K3B. The Sony ran perfectly with SuSE 9.3, but that was a newer kernel than 2.4--- , I think. Will double check.

Thanks for hanging with me

Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hunch I should have made a more "full" install somewhere along the line. Was worried that "developer" stuff would take too much drive space. Did a auto-type install after de-selecting some categories that looked superfluous, but the essentials may have been hidden there. "Phear" of Slackware package management had me worrying about removing excess packages, and, for the record, managing Slackware packages is pretty straightforward.

I can work around the burner thing by using the Win partition and a generic CDBurner program (the Sony GUI does not easily lend itself to burning .iso images). My burning is mostly .iso images and some picture files. I like to have a supply of Live CD's to give friends.

this is so smooth, unless I really need to correct the problem for something else, I will just adapt until I do a better re-install.

Long live Slackware!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Audio and Video Applications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: