USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

BMP - Beep Media Player - Versatile audio player, skins

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Audio and Video Applications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2024 3:52 am    Post subject: BMP - Beep Media Player - Versatile audio player, skins Reply with quote

BMP, the Beep Media Player, is a versatile audio player that supports skins. It is available on multiple platforms. I am using it right now on PC-BSD. You can get it on Linux and possibly other platforms as well.

The Debian version says:
Quote:
A player that supports Winamp skins, with a customizable interface based on GTK2. It has various output plugins and can read various audio formats.

According to the Wikipedia:
Quote:
Audacious is a free software media player for POSIX standards compliant based systems. It is a fork of Beep Media Player 0.9.7.1. William "nenolod" Pitcock decided to fork BMP after the original development team announced that they were stopping development, in order to create a next-gen version, BMPx.

The reasons for the fork were purely technical. There were some quirks in Beep Media Player that had annoyed users, such as the ID3v2 tag handling, which had been reported as "buggy" by some users. The developers also had their own ideas about how a player should be designed, which they wanted to try in a production environment. Besides, Beep Media Player allegedly lacked functionalities that were considered useful for people who did streaming, such as support for an XMMS-like "songchange plugin".

Audacious has full support for Winamp 2 skins, and as of version 1.2, some free-form skinning is possible, which is expected to be improved upon in the 1.3 release

Whatever. I am using BMP now on PC-BSD and it is one of the most usable players I have ever found for just finding and listening to radio stations. It has both Shoutcast, which I am using now, as well as Icecast and Last.FM, plus other schemes as well, including Podcasts. I wonder what Audacious and BMPx have to offer that beats this - BMP does plenty for me.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2024 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked and it is actually BMPx that I am using on PC-BSD. I can see why it is considered to be better than BMP. I have plain BMP on a few Linux partitions and it works fine but gives nowhere near the functionality of BMPx - so BMPx it is!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Audio and Video Applications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: