USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Announcing LinuxGlobe!!! :D
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Member Blogs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinuxGlobe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2024 2:45 am    Post subject: Announcing LinuxGlobe!!! :D Reply with quote

Attention ALL Users and Developers of LINUX!!! My name is Mark McLaughlin, I want to spread the word about a brand new LINUX Blog called linuxglobe.wordpress.com! Right now, it is just a Blog, but, I have a higher goal for my site : A National North American (Boston/Montreal/Mexico City) based Print Magazine sold in newsstands in Target, Wal-Mart, Barnes & Noble, Borders, Waldenbooks, and every major & minor airport in Mexico, Canada, and the United States of America!!! My inspiration is the UK's Linux Format magazine which is doing very well in Europe! Europe is HIP to Linux! It is now time for linuxglobe to make LINUX hip in North America!

It is time to hurt Microsoft by taking away more and more desktop, laptop, and servers away from them! They have been dominating North America for far too long! LINUX is the Windoze Killer, it is a friendly virus that needs to be spread! It is time to convert students in America into Linux Users and Developers! LINUX is the FUTURE of computering! There is no doubt about it! MAC OS X runs on BSD, most flavors of BSD are free! BSD and LINUX will forever change the landscape of Operating Systems! Windoze is a slowly dying breed of OS, it has NO future beyond Vista! Now is the time to tell America about LINUX and teach them how to use it!

LinuxGlobe's Mission : To educate; to reach out to poor and low income people; to empower those who can not afford Windoze PCs to do more with their lives; to give away free resources; to sell low cost desktops/laptops/servers, and reference books; and take away some business from the almighty Microsoft!

If you are a User, Developer, or Student who wants to empower people by writing & educating about LINUX; please contact me at hudsonman35@gmail.com ASAP!!!

DO MORE WITH YOUR LIFE.....LinuxGlobe IS HERE FOR YOU!!!

Mark McLaughlin
linuxglobe.wordpress.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2024 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Mark McLaughlin is an award-winning, nationally published author and photographer with four books and more than 500 articles in print.

Is this him?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LinuxGlobe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2024 4:08 am    Post subject: No, I am... Reply with quote

I am Markus McLaughlin, Mark is my pen name! I am an aspiring Screenwriter and budding Publisher in Hudson, MA. I am obsessed with films and LINUX! Very Happy I hope that clears that up!

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2024 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Well......... glad to meet ya Mark. There are a few of us here afflicted with at least one of your same obsessions Laughing

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I looked on Google Maps, USA is still on the globe, so we can be part of the LinuxGlobe??

Welcome in Mark(us). We wish you well getting the publication to fly.

My daughter graduated from the film school in Montana. She has been working in the film promotion end of movies, and has big dreams of being a producer some day. She does not have much patience with her dad rambling on about Linux, though Sad

coastie
Moderator Bot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2024 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What books have you published?

Oh and welcome to the lug Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lynch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has formed a film company here. He wants a powerful workstation for editing.
I said "Linux ". Smile

LinuxGlobe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject: More about me Reply with quote

Globe sounds COOL compared to USA, IMHO.

I am writing my first book now, based on my ancestors in Finland. I am still learning LINUX and since I am a writer, a magazine/blog for LINUX is a natural for me. I love films equally and I am still learning how a film script is written.

You can learn ALL about me at :
marknetproductions.wordpress.com

Markus - linuxglobe.wordpress.com

jbsnake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if i could write a film script in bash.
HA
welcome aboard!

LinuxGlobe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject: Update 1-25-2008 Reply with quote

Update 1-25-2008

The book had stalled for now, my teleplay is being worked on more, the PDF Issue #1 has stalled due to lack of interest, and Fedora 9 & Ubuntu 8.04 might be more promising... If you like to contribute to my blog, please leave an e-mail! Very Happy

Markus McLaughlin
linuxglobe.wordpress.com
hudsonman35@gmail.com
Hudson, MA, USA

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2024 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to USALUG LinuxGlobe Glad to have you here !!

LinuxGlobe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject: Keep the faith! Reply with quote

Fedora and Ubuntu have kept my faith in Linux, I will continue to write about it as long as people are still interested in it. If you want to join the Fedora Project, go to http://fedoraproject.org, they always need new people to help them succeed. The OLPC project is always asking for donations at http://laptop.org. Keep the faith!

Mark McLaughlin
Hudson, MA

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject: Welcome! Reply with quote

Welcome to the USALUG Mark! I am a big fan of Linux Format. I have not been able to find the current issue for the past month or so. Something domestic that is its equal or superior would be awesome. Hope you have some of that British wit, though. To me, not only is the content of Linux Format very good, I also like the writing style of a few of their more witty authors!

As far as the acting and screenplay stuff, I used to work closely with Jason Spisak, who first contacted me about working with he and Joseph Cheek on Lycoris, a really easy to use desktop system of the 2024-2004 vintage, later snapped up by Mandriva.

Jason has certainly been a luminary in his own right. After pursuing Lycoris for a while but frustrated at the lack of a solid business plan and the desktop metaphor being something other than what he was hoping for, he got together with Ryan Quinn to come up with a framework for SymphonyOS, a most unusual and different model for desktop use than anything we've seen. The idea may not fully germinate, but that kind of creative thinking is what eventually leads to the great ideas that go somewhere. In that vein, Jason is terrific.

I hope that your creativity leads you to similar success.

I have visions of my own. The time to chase them has not been quite right for me for personal, not professional, reasons.

I would love nothing more than to either create or be part of a business whose primary role was to research and promote developments in Linux and other free and/or open software development.

I firmly believe we are approaching the time where another shift will occur in the way we use our information. Just look at all the cell phones and wireless devices out there. Whatever happens, access anywhere is likely to be a part of the change. I have a hard time believing that a cell phone is the last incarnation we are going to get. I hope we can do better than that. I think the desktop will remain out there for some time but it will be mostly for office use. I can see the TV entertainment center as the basis for home information use and the wireless device as the basis for remote use. We are pretty close to that now.

LinuxGlobe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2024 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masinick wrote:
Welcome to the USALUG Mark! I am a big fan of Linux Format. I have not been able to find the current issue for the past month or so. Something domestic that is its equal or superior would be awesome. Hope you have some of that British wit, though. To me, not only is the content of Linux Format very good, I also like the writing style of a few of their more witty authors!

As far as the acting and screenplay stuff, I used to work closely with Jason Spisak, who first contacted me about working with he and Joseph Cheek on Lycoris, a really easy to use desktop system of the 2024-2004 vintage, later snapped up by Mandriva.

Jason has certainly been a luminary in his own right. After pursuing Lycoris for a while but frustrated at the lack of a solid business plan and the desktop metaphor being something other than what he was hoping for, he got together with Ryan Quinn to come up with a framework for SymphonyOS, a most unusual and different model for desktop use than anything we've seen. The idea may not fully germinate, but that kind of creative thinking is what eventually leads to the great ideas that go somewhere. In that vein, Jason is terrific.

I hope that your creativity leads you to similar success.

I have visions of my own. The time to chase them has not been quite right for me for personal, not professional, reasons.

I would love nothing more than to either create or be part of a business whose primary role was to research and promote developments in Linux and other free and/or open software development.

I firmly believe we are approaching the time where another shift will occur in the way we use our information. Just look at all the cell phones and wireless devices out there. Whatever happens, access anywhere is likely to be a part of the change. I have a hard time believing that a cell phone is the last incarnation we are going to get. I hope we can do better than that. I think the desktop will remain out there for some time but it will be mostly for office use. I can see the TV entertainment center as the basis for home information use and the wireless device as the basis for remote use. We are pretty close to that now.
When I first saw LINUX in December 1994, it looked like DOS, I didn't think much of it at the time. NOW, Fedora 8 and Ubuntu has shown how it GREW up, NOW is the time to SUPPORT it and make it viable to everyone NOT just to those
who know it already!

Mark McLaughlin

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2024 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first tried Linux around November 1995 - Slackware 2.3, which I bought along with a book co-authored by Patrick Volkerding.
I have not run Slackware 2.3 in years, yet I still remember the feeling. It was like having a good version of UNIX mixed with a good version of MS/DOS. When the PC first came out in 1981, I got to try several implementations in 1982 - I was part of a small advanced development group at General Motors Corp, who were looking for the best overall PC hardware and software products.

That was fun, but the PC was lame. PCs were underpowered and under-featured. They were fun, but it was mostly fun, they could not do very much useful work. I decided to go with UNIX because it could do so much more. Though the commands were terse and accurate, they did not do much at all for my sense of human factors and usability.

Imagine my excitement when I saw Linux in 1995! I realized that fvwm was definitely a hobbyist grade window manager, but I could see the possibilities then. This could become something much better than either UNIX or Windows! Darn. The whole landscape, to me, is moving at a snail's pace. Twenty years ago I had some visions of what computing could become. Ten years ago I could see it - a Windows like interface, but more cleanly implemented, more secure, more flexible, but with similar simplicity. But it's just not that easy. You can't get consensus on what that should be - not even here, where we have a fairly friendly group, and certainly not between GNOME and KDE projects, or between any two projects that see things a different way.

So until either someone manages to get leverage enough to push standards, someone wealthy enough (Shuttlesworth, or Shuttlesworth and Robertson?) come along, getting something commodity enough, clean enough, flexible enough, yet easy enough still is not easy. I truly do not see it coming from the U.S. Microsoft is really strong. It took some doing to unseat IBM. Microsoft will have to unseat itself. That could still happen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Member Blogs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: