USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

CUPS printer database out of date - howto upgrade?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fopetesl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2024 9:05 am    Post subject: CUPS printer database out of date - howto upgrade? Reply with quote

I am running Ubuntu 5.10 which I am very happy with Smile However am getting problems with CUPS printer database getting out of date and cannot install modern printers without compiling each driver... not easy since a lot of the time there is no Internet connection. Sad
Is there an easy(?) way to update CUPS printer database?

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this same type of question on other forums by Googling - Freespire - Cannon, Ubuntu - HP, Mepis - HP ---- What kind of printer do you have? That would help if someone comes along with an answer for you. They might be able to link you to something that will fit the bill Wink .

You might also look thru the Ubuntu Backports and see if there is a CUPS update link there, although they only seem to go back to 6.06, but maybe mr.ed (one of the LUG Ubuntu guru's) can help you figure out how to take one of the newer ones and adapt it to your 5.10 Question .

fopetesl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 8:11 am    Post subject: To clarify Reply with quote

Thanks, JP. I perhaps haven't stated the problem clearly enough. I install a machine in, say, the Montana backwoods with no Internet to speak of. Two years later the installed printer blows up. I toddle off out there to find a new printer has been purchased which is not in the current CUPS printer database. Shocked
So my only option is to travel 150 miles to the nearest Internet cafe and hopefully find a ppd which suits the new printer. Then return to the machine and attempt to get the printer up and running.
Yes. Can be done but it's a lot of pain.
An updated CUPS printer database would most likely get around this.
Shame Sad to say that most printer manufacturers still only supply Windo$s drivers.

mr_ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I know for sure that Breezy (5.10) isn't supported anymore. That's why the printer database isn't that easy to update... Dapper is supported, though (that's the Long Term Support edition), and it's supported up to 2024.

I wonder if you could grab the .deb file from Dapper? That may (should?) work, but it may mess something up!
I don't suppose you have a test box, do you? Wink

And I can't think of any way off the top of my head how to do that without installing Dapper. Any Debianites know how to do that? Masinick?

If you're at the Breezy box, you could change the /etc/apt/sources.list file to Dapper sources, do an update, apt-get install cups and cups-ppd or whatever, and then change the /etc/apt/sources.list back to breezy, but there has got to be an easier way than that!

BTW, I saw your post here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.html?t=604398&highlight=cups+database+update

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Point to a more current release Reply with quote

mr_ed wrote:
Wow. I know for sure that Breezy (5.10) isn't supported anymore. That's why the printer database isn't that easy to update... Dapper is supported, though (that's the Long Term Support edition), and it's supported up to 2024.

I wonder if you could grab the .deb file from Dapper? That may (should?) work, but it may mess something up!
I don't suppose you have a test box, do you? Wink

And I can't think of any way off the top of my head how to do that without installing Dapper. Any Debianites know how to do that? Masinick?

If you're at the Breezy box, you could change the /etc/apt/sources.list file to Dapper sources, do an update, apt-get install cups and cups-ppd or whatever, and then change the /etc/apt/sources.list back to breezy, but there has got to be an easier way than that!

BTW, I saw your post here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.html?t=604398&highlight=cups+database+update

The safest and most sure way to update any package without undesirable consequences is to point to a set of repositories that is sufficiently up to date to get the software you want. The Ubuntu 5.06 LTS release - Dapper - as you note, is a stable release. Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) has now been released. It may not be as "stable" in all respects as the Long Term Support (LTS) release, but in my testing, I did not find any glaring defects that prevented me from doing any routine activities. I did happen to use and test printing features during my work, so I can vouch for it in that area, and also in browsing, Email, and editing areas. Basic desktop functions work well.

If you want to be sure to have a rock steady release, stick with the LTS, but unless you have serious stability concerns, I would not hesitate to recommend Gutsy Gibbon (7.10). It is current, it had SIX lengthy Alpha testing cycles (Tribe1 through Tribe 6), an active community and plenty of exposure. Only bleeding edge desktop features would be questionable, otherwise it would get a 100% thumbs up.

So the technique would be to either add or replace the existing repositories with either the Dapper or Gutsy repositories, run an update to synchronize the package cache, then update the system, which would, in effect, update the entire OS and applications. As long as you have a broadband connection, that would be the way to go. You can actually use the system while you are doing this, so it is a rolling upgrade. You may have to restart the system in order to actually use the new software since it is such a significant change, but I have done this before. The only thing I have not done is jump all the way from a 2024 release to a 2024 release using Ubuntu. I have seamlessly updated a stable 7.04 release to a 7.10 release with no problems at all and I was able to do it on the fly while browsing and posting right in this forum.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 3:20 pm    Post subject: Scenarios to consider Reply with quote

Worst possible case in the upgrade scenario is to upgrade sequentially to each major release. As long as their are no major X.org changes or anything else that requires an infrastructure or serious configuration change, though they would not tell you, it may be possible to jump versions.

If you can afford to try (and have something to use as a backup) I tend to like trying things like this and stretch what is "officially supported" compared to what you can "get" to work. I jumped from Debian Etch (stable 4.0 release) to Debian Sid (bleeding edge test version), then I added Sidux repositories on top of that. It worked incredibly well.

If it were me, I'd go for it. I cannot speak for you, though. Make sure you have alternatives available - as I do. I like to try crazy things to see what happens. I'd give it an 80% chance of working, with 20% chance of having to tweak something to get it right. If that is acceptable, give it a try. If not, then as an alternative upgrade to the next major release, see if it gets you what you want, and if not, update until you have the newest version in incremental stages. Backup anything you care about so you can go backward if you are not satisfied with the result. Don't back up anything if you love living on the edge and can live with whatever result you get! I do both, depending on what my objective is, but I always have other alternatives available for those times when I invent a disaster! Wink

mr_ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if at all possible, I would recommend upgrading to Dapper (6.06 LTS). I have Dapper CDs that I could mail you if you need.

fopetesl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject: Sounds nice, but ... Reply with quote

Thanks guys but I most probably won't have the facilities, (or the time), to follow your suggestions on site.
With most likely no broadband and no CD, (I use USB sticks), upgrading the whole OS on site is a no, no.
Possibly upgrading the printer database would be much simpler and something I could carry around on a Flash Memory stick.
But howto? Confused

mr_ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Gutsy cups db at home... I could send it to you if I don't fall asleep immediately after my kids go to bed again.

fopetesl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2024 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_ed wrote:
I have the Gutsy cups db at home... I could send it to you if I don't fall asleep immediately after my kids go to bed again.
Sounds a good idea mr_ed. How can I let you know where to dispatch it to?
Kids, eh? Mine are now in their 30's and it isn't any different now Smile
Ah! I can see that I can pm you

fopetesl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject: BUMP! Still no resolution :( Reply with quote

Still haven't found an (easy) answer Sad
I guess mr_ed is emulating Rip van Winkle Smile

Anyone got any other ideas? Confused

After yet more googling it may be that I need to update the foomatic-db only.
Can anyone clarify this?

mr_ed
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you didn't get it? I'm 95% sure that I sent it to you.

fopetesl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_ed wrote:
I guess you didn't get it? I'm 95% sure that I sent it to you.

Sorry, mr_ed. didn't receive it. Where did you send it to?
Safest to PM me I think then I can give you a trusted address but I'd need yours first allow you through the spam blocker.

Nice to see you're awake Smile

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2024 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you've said this area had no internet to speak of, is there any chance there is cellphone tower nearby? Just a thought, since some cellphones can act as a modem for high speed access through your cell service provider. Also, is there no telephone service, for a lowly 56k session? I paid $8.95 a month for my last dialup provider, and the difficulty seems to warrant a mild expense like dialup, since you'd spend 10 times that much for a 150 mile trip to a cafe. Saving 2 x 150 mile trips @ 20 mpg pays for 5 months of dialup.

fopetesl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2024 8:08 am    Post subject: Dial Up? Reply with quote

Thanks, mmmna. Not even that simple.
The example I gave was only typical of many similar machines dotted all over the place.
But I'll give your cell phone idea some thought. Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: