USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Google updates desktop for Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Application News and Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2024 1:46 pm    Post subject: Google updates desktop for Linux Reply with quote

Quote:
Google has updated its desktop for Linux with the beta launch of version 1.1.

Now you can search and launch applications, and search within Microsoft Office documents. The team at Google has also upgraded the image search so better quality thumbnails are returned and more image formats are supported.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/10/15/linux_google_beta/

http://desktop.google.com/linux/

lberg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where does the searching within Microsoft Office documents come in to play? Razz
I guess that just means regular .doc's....But still...how many Linux users use .doc format OFTEN? I mean...I know I use .doc's SOMETIMES...but not regularly.

coastie
Moderator Bot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm doing something for work...I have to use .doc. If I'm doing something for my church...I have to use .doc. Sad So I use it more than I want too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2024 7:24 pm    Post subject: I generally make documents output in .doc format Reply with quote

At work, I create documents primarily in Microsoft Word, which is the office standard, so I have little choice. I have grabbed Open Office and used it from time to time, but I still output in Word .doc format. Lately I have not bothered to do so.

At home, I also use .doc format, but much less often. Mostly I have a need to do so when writing or updating a resume. Nearly everyone asks for my resume in Word format these days. What I do is create it with Open Office and output it in .odt, .doc, .pdf, .html, and sometimes .txt formats. I can readily convert it with Open Office and/or other common tools.

The moral of the story is to use tools that can readily convert to other formats. Open Office, for all of its bloat, is a great application for interoperability using many different data formats. Other than command line conversion tools, which both UNIX and Linux systems have in rich abundance, Open Office is one of the best interoperability applications available, and it runs on many platforms, which further improves interoperability.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Use plain text whenever possible Reply with quote

Another thing that really helps is to use plain text whenever possible. Rich Text Formats, whether .rtf itself, .doc, or some other format, do provide a nice appearance, but often they really are not needed - all that is really needed is plain text. Therefore it is great to use plain text and to use a markup language, such as we commonly use in Web pages, to achieve a fancy visual appearance. Even Microsoft is moving toward the use of their own (hacked up) implementation of XML to provide a nice visual appearance. If Microsoft will cooperate and stick closely to the accepted industry standards, perhaps we will get a little bit closer to a few universally readable or translatable formats. Don't hold your breath though. I have been involved in these kinds of things for over twenty years and we seem to get further, rather than closer, to common formats. We do, however, at least have much better converters than we once had in "the olden days". Wink

inactive

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2024 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use .doc for everything because I have to; for work, and for home. Since too many won't go Linux and support the formats that it has, I just don't go there with other file formats, unfortunately. I would if I could.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2024 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coastie wrote:
If I'm doing something for work...I have to use .doc. If I'm doing something for my church...I have to use .doc. Sad So I use it more than I want too.
.doc: works fine with Open Office, both ways (into OO.o, and exporting out of OO.o).

inactive

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmna wrote:
coastie wrote:
.doc: works fine with Open Office, both ways (into OO.o, and exporting out of OO.o).

Yup. I do it @ home all day long, almost. . .

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject: Those Google Apps do work pretty well Reply with quote

I have used Google Docs, Google Calendar, etc. and I have also set up iGoogle to connect a lot of my stuff together, much as I have done for many years with my.yahoo.com, but the Google stuff has more of an office focus. Both work well. The Google Docs stuff is interesting. You really don't need to buy a Word Processor or office suite unless you REALLY want to do so or you had one given to you. Google Docs work just fine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Application News and Releases All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: