USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Very Frustrated Potential Linux User
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Installation and Bootloaders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
padrejeff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 12:20 am    Post subject: Very Frustrated Potential Linux User Reply with quote

I am lost and frustrated. Confused
First, I am not at all good at computer speak.
I boot, it runs, I'm happy. Smile
But, I have been tempted to use Linux OS (just to not be welded to Bill Gates)
So, I did my research (I thought), read books, chose Ubuntu, etc.

Now, I cannot even boot the Live CD, let alone do an install.

Here's what I have:

HP Pavilion dv6000
AMD Turion 64, 2 ghertz
1GB RAM
NVIDIA GEForce Go 61450 display adapter
QDS 15.4 Monitor
Broadcom WLAN (802.11a/b/g)

When I try to run the Live CD (which I must try a bit before I decide to fully install), I get all kinds of text flowing by, then it pretty much stops and the screen goes Black.

Within that text (too fast scrolling by to be easily read) I see error messages I think and "failed to load" notes.

I also believe my WiFi is turned off and will not turn back on after the screen goes black.

So, I have tried to read and understand various fixes. However, they all tell me to download and install this or that.

My confusion is: how can I download and install something if I cannot even get into the Linus OS (Ubuntu 7.04)???? Would I download and install something into the Windows OS that is going to fix something in a Linux OS???

Makes no sense to me.

I'm about to just stay with the Windows thing unless there is a very compassionate and helpful person out there who can walk me through this in non programmer language. Maybe I'm just not meant to be Microsoft free??? Mad

All help is appreciated as I do really want to try and make this work (and it seems to work for others).

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Very Frustrated Potential Linux User Reply with quote

First padrejeff Welcome to USALUG Exclamation

padrejeff wrote:
I am lost and frustrated. Confused
First, I am not at all good at computer speak.
I boot, it runs, I'm happy. Smile
But, I have been tempted to use Linux OS (just to not be welded to Bill Gates)
So, I did my research (I thought), read books, chose Ubuntu, etc.

That Ubuntu is a good choice in many/most cases. I have an HP AMD Semperon that WILL NOT run *buntus of any stripe. (I'm NOT saying that's anything to do with your box!). If, after taking all of the advice that will be given here, you still can't make it work, you may have to download another distro. I, personally like Puppy Linux Very Happy Very Happy.

Quote:

I'm about to just stay with the Windows thing unless there is a very compassionate and helpful person out there who can walk me through this in non programmer language. Maybe I'm just not meant to be Microsoft free??? Mad

All help is appreciated as I do really want to try and make this work (and it seems to work for others).

Let me tell you padrejeff, This is the most compassionate LUG on the net. I came here in 2024/2004? knowing nothing about Linux, except that I could get it loaded, but not configured. These guys held me by the hand and got me started, worked me thru my problems and now I'm a happy camper, ..M$ FREE Exclamation One Question/Suggestion that I have to ask, at the outset, .... did you check the MD5 sums Question
That is the first, and most important question that will come your way. The MD5sums check the integrity of your downloaded and burned CD. If you don't understand what the MD5sums are, take a look at this post: Clik Wink - now I know you're not in a Linux desktop or Command Line Interface yet, but the post should explain somewhat why you should do this integrity check. It can also be done on a WINDOZE box by using an MD5Summer, available HERE.
I'll wait for an answer before going any further, and IF I don't get back there are many, many more experienced people here that are more than willing to add advice as you progress in your new path to Freedom Exclamation. Again, Welcome to the LUG:!:

Just remembered, there is a thread Introduce Yourself Here !! Smile that you might want to visit, so we all can get to know more about you Wink

Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome in padrejeff,

For what it's worth, I have had troubles with Ubuntu, too. Weird since I can boot up old Knoppix (Ubuntu's ancestor) no problemo.

First off, though, a lot of people expect Linux to work "out of the box", get frustrated with us "icewalkers" (thinking we purposely tout an OS to somehow spread misery Sad ), etc. Fact is that when coming from Windows, one expects a solid base install then to add all sorts of drivers. You can get away from Bill Gates, but remember HP makes their money installing Microsoft. Linux keeps adding "drivers" that detect your parts without much addition. There are variations ("distros") of Linux that may install effortlessly, but you will be spending some time testing a few more distros to make that work. Linux will require trekking up some learning curves. Happily, these curves are getting lower, better understood, etc.

Now back to the black screen. As there are many different video cards, it is difficult to make a universal install iso. When the Ubuntu first opens, you should see some help keys- F1, F2, F3, etc. Take a little time to check them out as one can type in "cheatcodes" to first get up and running. I don't know if there are incompatibilities with your nvidia adapter, but a google search should help. Most things are covered, but that is small comfort when YOUR install is hanging. Laptops, with their battery-saving modes, can get things a little confusing. You can bypass some things at the start by typing in a cheatcode or two instead of just hitting "enter" at the boot prompt. The screen resolution (type the code in the prompt) would be where I would start if you have the manual.

Be patient, and remember, once installed, you won't be faced with this headache every day!

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTE: This is for INSTALLING LINUX !!!!!
If you just want to run a live cd, SLAX is a very very nice live linux disk as is Knoppix.

If you want to INSTALL :
I hate the ubuntu gui live linux install cd, I ALWAYS use the "alternate (install) CD" ......

You can go here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Look UNDERNEATH the GREEN "START DOWNLOAD" button, see the text
Check here if you need the alternate desktop CD. This CD does not include the Live CD, instead it uses a text-based installer.

CHECK IT !! Wink

The text based installer works really well, imho.

Quote:
Download URL: http://ubuntu.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/ubuntu/releases/gutsy/ubuntu-7.10-alternate-i386.iso
Ubuntu Edition: Ubuntu 7.10 alternate
Computer Platform: i386
Download Location: http://ubuntu.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/ubuntu/releases/

I hope that is somewhat helpful anyway. Good luck and let us know how you progress, and if we can be of any help.

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
padrejeff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 2:49 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for being kind enough to offer options.
I was using a CD of Desktop Linux (Ubuntu 7.04) that came from a book by Thompson.
So, I did not do a checksum on it.
Instead, per your tips, I have downloaded the alternate install of 7.10 and burned it to disc.
I will not get around to trying this install for awhile.
My father had a stroke Thursday and I will be spending much time at the hospital with him and then is Christmas travel, etc.
Please stay subscribed to this thread and I will keep you posted as to my progress and any need for further assists.
If no posts by me till 2024, have a merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

We'll be in touch after I am less consumed here....

Jeff

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff: Sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope he gets well quick.

Stephen

padrejeff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 7:02 pm    Post subject: More Thanks and A Question Reply with quote

Thanks for the getting well wishes for my dad.

Question:

Does the alternate install disc of Ubuntu 7.10 prompt for partitions if I desire to do a dual boot set-up with Windows/ Ubuntu?

Or, must I partition ahead of install????????//

Xeroid
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your dad padrejeff. Hope he's feeling better real soon.

Yup, you will get a chanct to setup a dual boot during the Ubuntu install. Just about every Linux distro I've tried offers this option. Just pay close attention to the naming schemes for the partitions on Linux because they're a little different from windows.

For example . . . instead of calling your partitions C:\ & D:\ on your primary master hard disk, Linux would call the partitons hda1 and hda2. If hda were partitioned 4 times it would go all the way up to hda4. Your secondary master would be hdb. For example 3 partitions would be hdb1, hdb2, & hdb3.

SteveWilliams
BANNED

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2024 8:19 pm    Post subject: Use Windows To Fix Linux ??.. Reply with quote

Hi

Quote:

My confusion is: how can I download and install something if I cannot even get into the Linus OS (Ubuntu 7.04)????

You can't. Not ever.
Quote:

Would I download and install something into the Windows OS that is going to fix something in a Linux OS???

No. But Knoppix is supposed to be able to do something similar as a rescue type operation. I seriously doubt that is what you are in need of. I chimed in to answer your questions.

I have a Dell Dimension E 521, and I have added part after part, and I gotta tell you, 7.04 freezes my box like a brick. Go figure. Not every distro runs on a given box like it should, and I have noticed that my Users have often had the same equipment and completely different problems using the same distro.

I had a guy from a LUG tell me to repartition my HDD and add /home to it then do a reinstall of my OS, when I did, The box completely stopped working. What works on one box does not necessarily work on another. See What I'm saying ?

Just try to be patient as possible and try to keep asking questions. These guys will help you get it resolved. Just keep your chin up !

Tell your dad that someone wishes him well.

Later Gator !

Steve

Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2024 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crouse has enlightened me. Perhaps the Live CD with it's own installer has been my problem with Ubuntu's.

padrejeff, be sure to "defrag" the Windows part of the drive before partitioning stuff. Windows spits data over the drive like spagetti sauce on my dress shirt, so you want your "p__p in a group". Windows should always be at the front, and Linux will work around it.

We wish you well with the sudden health crisis of your Dad. This is the season of Hope. You get time to log on, we're here for ya.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2024 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope your dad gets well soon Very Happy, JP

cc272

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2024 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a some help in the matter that may be worth the read

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/hp_dv6000_series_%28dv6116eu%29

look for this line

Quote:
First things first: if your laptop fails to boot the LiveCD (i.e. hangs at a certain point), then you most likely have a common problem with "apic."

Solution: When given boot options for the LiveCD, press F6 for other options and you should see a command line with commands already entered. Simply add as required.

Code:
noapic nolapic

to the end of the line and press enter. The system should now boot without stalling.

hope this helps

BrionS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2024 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Welcome padrejeff!
2. Thoughts to you, your dad, and your family
3. One thing that's certain with Linux is no two users will have the exact same experience for better or for worse!

For the record, I've never had any luck with the 7.10 series of Ubuntu installing from the LiveCD, but that doesn't mean I haven't had LiveCDs work for me in the past, so don't write them off wholesale. I second crouse's suggestion of the Alternative 7.10 install CD as not only is it more likely to work (at the cost of looking pretty) it gives you more options than the standard Desktop LiveCD/Installer.

cc272 also has a good point that acpi has often been a problem particularly with laptops in Linux. At some point you'll probably want to get that working, but if all else fails use the 'noacpi' option when booting and that is likely to help you at least get into the installer.

Unfortunately all I can do is lend my moral support and "here here"s to what's already been said as I've not installed Linux on a laptop before (unless you count Slackware version 2 or something on a friend's laptop in 1997, but .... I don't want to scare you Razz).

Good luck! We'll be here when you're ready for us.

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2024 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi padrejeff

Welcome, .....

I think before you make up your mind what is the best for you, take a look here at distrowatch.

There a several distrobutions for newbies, easy to run from a liveCD.

PCLinuxOS, openSUSE, Fedora, Sabayon, MEPIS (what have a very good development), Slackware and more....

Maybe you will try out a Unix based liveCD then your easy way to go is with PC-BSD[/url]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
coastie
Moderator Bot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the lug Very Happy I can recommend PCLINUX OS, works great on my Laptop. But like everyone else says, what runs on one box may not run on another. I'm a big fan of Slax, Open Suse, PC Linux OS, and Ubuntu. All work great in my experience. Slax however is only meant to be run as a live disk.

Hope all goes well with your dad, and have a Happy Holidays Exclamation

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Installation and Bootloaders All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: