USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Linksys won't let folks back in after they leave? [solved]

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject: Linksys won't let folks back in after they leave? [solved] Reply with quote

I hope I'm saying this the right way.....

The wireless router I use seems to lockout a users nic, until I manually delete their entries in the DHCP client list, or until the DHCP system releases the IP address.

I have 2 new Vista systems in the house (don't get me going on Vista), and they both get locked off every day.

Is DHCP supposed to lock addresses for 24 hours and never allow the nic back in until the DHCP lease has expired? I would have thought the DHCP system would notice the IP address disappearing and terminated the lease.... you know, for rebooting purposes? The way it is acting, if they reboot, they lose access until a day has passed.

Or is this a Vista issue?

Last edited by mmmna on Wed Feb 13, 2024 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrionS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2024 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check your DHCP lease time from the Linksys router admin console (usually 192.168.1.1 by default with the password only of 'admin'). I believe the longest you can set it for is 1 day (value of zero instead of time in seconds).

It should work like this:

1. Machine connects to the network and performs a DHCP broadcast
  2. Router (DHCP server) responds
  3. Some hand-shaking ensues and the machine gives the router its MAC address in return for a lease on the next-available DHCP IP address in the LAN (192.168.1.0 - '0' being a placeholder for 1-254)

Every time that machine re-connects if it's within 24 hours the router will re-assign it the same IP address because its MAC address is already known.

There's a couple things that could get in the way:
1. MAC address filtering is on, but I think that only applies to Wireless connections -- basically the MAC address of every 'whitelisted' machine needs to be entered into the router before that device can get an IP address.
2. DHCP client limit is set very low, like 5, and you've already assigned all 5 IPs to various machines and must clear them from the DHCP clients table (in the console) or wait for the lease to expire.

Lastly, Windows may also be holding on to the old IP address and not allowing a new one to be assigned. I don't know about Vista in particular, but in XP you can open a command prompt and type two commands in order:
Code:
C:\> ipconfig /release
C:\> ipconfig /renew

The renew may take some time, but one way to check if you're getting an IP from your router is to run
Code:
C:\> ipconfig /all

and look for the Nameserver IPs to be populated as well as make sure your IP address is in the 192.168.1.0 range (or whatever your network is set to - I personally use 10.0.0.0). If the address is something strange, then it's probably an IP Windows assigns when it can't get an IP from anywhere else (I forget the number, but it's none of the ones mentioned and it won't likely be close to the one your ISP gives you).

Hope something in there helps.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2024 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrionS wrote:
You can check your DHCP lease time from the Linksys router admin console (usually 192.168.1.1 by default with the password only of 'admin'). I believe the longest you can set it for is 1 day (value of zero instead of time in seconds).

It should work like this:

1. Machine connects to the network and performs a DHCP broadcast
  2. Router (DHCP server) responds
  3. Some hand-shaking ensues and the machine gives the router its MAC address in return for a lease on the next-available DHCP IP address in the LAN (192.168.1.0 - '0' being a placeholder for 1-254)

Every time that machine re-connects if it's within 24 hours the router will re-assign it the same IP address because its MAC address is already known.
It was left as zero, the default. And yet when he logged out last night, this morning and this afternoon he could not return; this was less than 24 hrs and his MAC was still listed in the routers DHCP client list - was unexpired. Right then, I deleted all the DHCP clients, and at almost the same moment, he yells that he got in. I refreshed his list, and he was listed once more, with 23 hrs, 59 minutes, 50 seconds left.

Quote:
There's a couple things that could get in the way:
1. MAC address filtering is on, but I think that only applies to Wireless connections -- basically the MAC address of every 'whitelisted' machine needs to be entered into the router before that device can get an IP address.
Set to Disabled. If it was enabled, the MAC addresses of all the PCs are there; I had to temporarily shut off MAC address filtering as a troubleshooting step, because Vista, as the system was delivered, couldn't get past the router. Sigh. The things these teenage game addicts put us through.....

Quote:
2. DHCP client limit is set very low, like 5, and you've already assigned all 5 IPs to various machines and must clear them from the DHCP clients table (in the console) or wait for the lease to expire.
Learned this the hard way, a few months ago; currently set to 50. Nobody gets free access because there isn't anybody close enough.

Quote:
Lastly, Windows may also be holding on to the old IP address and not allowing a new one to be assigned. I don't know about Vista in particular, but in XP you can open a command prompt and type two commands in order:
Code:
C:\> ipconfig /release
C:\> ipconfig /renew

The renew may take some time, but one way to check if you're getting an IP from your router is to run
Code:
C:\> ipconfig /all

and look for the Nameserver IPs to be populated as well as make sure your IP address is in the 192.168.1.0 range (or whatever your network is set to - I personally use 10.0.0.0). If the address is something strange, then it's probably an IP Windows assigns when it can't get an IP from anywhere else (I forget the number, but it's none of the ones mentioned and it won't likely be close to the one your ISP gives you).
That looks familiar - I had to read a Windows help thingy in the beginning and saw those commands; so I'd say that still applies. I will have to check when the problem crops up again.

Quote:
Hope something in there helps.
Thanks, always great to get my head sorted out!!

One last thing... the 2 Vista machines are put into ... what is it called ... hibernate? standby? and do not fully power down. If this leaves the USB ports powered on, then the current problem child should still be seen by the router - he is using a USB NIC thingy (Belkin, 54g). The mode they are using allows restarts in like 8 seconds, so it cannot be a full power down. Oh, yeah; that USB thingy has been damaged and was intermittent once before.

Well, maybe the router is innocent after all.

Hold all future responses until I return here...

Last edited by mmmna on Fri Feb 29, 2024 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2024 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen pc's refuse to reconnect to wireless after going into a low power mode many times.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2024 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. That will do it, then.

Now I can restore the router to the former security level... I'll reassign the Vista 'power' looking button to actually powering down, instead of the 'Microsoftian' interpretation to put the PC into low power mode.

Thanks!

BrionS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2024 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you figure out how to get Vista's "power" button to go into shutdown instead of the default Sleep, let me know! I rarely go into Vista but when I do I sure as heck don't want it to sleep when it's time to come home to Linux. Smile But of course, the default is contrary to what the user wants (in my case and is always the case with me and Microsoft).

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2024 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrionS wrote:
in my case and is always the case with me and Microsoft.

I have a feeling that you will NOT stand alone in that statement.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it looks like the USB NIC was doing a rip van winkle when the system went into low power mode, and it wouldn't wake up when the system came alive.

I managed to reassign the Vista menu - power icon. BrionS: I forgot the details, but I tried only the control panels (I use classic view since the newer views need 2, 3 or more added mouse clicks to get the same functions) and also tried right clicking the power icon. I also had no choice (how Microsoftian) but to disable (could not reassign) the keyboard moon key.

This means the only way to leave the OS would be to use the Vista menu - power icon, and that would only do 'power off'; no sleep mode, no hibernate, no low power mode. Every reboot worked fine, every power cycle workked fine.

Conclusion: Linksys not at fault, Vista and/or Belkin USB NIC is at fault.

BrionS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have it set to Classic mode as well because at least I can do Start -> Log Off... -> Power Off. The gripe I have is that it Start -> Log Off... always comes up with "Sleep" instead of my last choice (Power Off) as if I would constantly change my mind each time about what I want to do. If I could find a way to make it default to Power Off or remember my last choice, that would be great.

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, I meant the control panel folder is set to classic view, not the Start Menu is set to classic view.

OK, I just revisited the problem PC; here is what I think I did: Start menu - Control panels (in classic view) - Power Options - possibly also clicked something about power profiles or power plans, since power profiles or power plans was on screen at the next step. When this loads, there is a topic in the left pane called 'Change what the power buttons do'. Click that.

Vistabomination.

Last edited by mmmna on Thu Feb 14, 2024 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
BrionS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks. I'll check it out next time I'm in Vista (probably not for two weeks). Smile

mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2024 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help; don't forget to bookmark!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: