USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

How to know the version of linux in graphical mode.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheikhbouchihda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2024 8:18 am    Post subject: How to know the version of linux in graphical mode. Reply with quote

Hello,
In order to know the version of linux(any distribution), in command ligne, we can do:
Code:
#cat /proc/version

But, in graphical mode, how we can know the version of linux?
Thanks in advance for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open KDE Control Center. The first page lists this:
Code:
KDE version:  3.5.7 "release 72.4"
  User:  lynch
  Hostname:  xxxxxxxx
  System:  Linux
  Release:  2.6.22.13-0.3-default
  Machine:  i686

Is that what you wanted?
HTH
lynch

jester

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would the version be important?

for a rolling release e.g. gentoo, arch so long as you update regularly you have the latest versions of the critical baselayout and toolchain; everything else i.e. applications depends on if you installed/updated

I'm convinced that this will be the distro model of choice and this market-driven 'versioning' will cease to be of importance other than security and stability for the end-user as opposed to a sales-driven gimmick Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mmmna
. . . .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2024 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jester wrote:

for a rolling release e.g. gentoo, arch so long as you update regularly you have the latest versions of the critical baselayout and toolchain; everything else i.e. applications depends on if you installed/updated

I'm convinced that this will be the distro model of choice and this market-driven 'versioning' will cease to be of importance other than security and stability for the end-user as opposed to a sales-driven gimmick Wink
Some folks need to know what kernel they are running so they can install properly mated apps, and cheikhbouchihda is using distros that aren't usually rolling release types.

jbsnake

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2024 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kind of a side note... arch actually removed their "/etc/arch-version" file. just to further themselves from the 'set' release systems.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2024 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jester wrote:

I never thought of it that way .... good points Wink

melloe
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more distros are going to the rolling release. And I agree, logically, it makes much more sense...

But still a vast majority enjoy their rush to version time <G><

I suspect as more and more come to the NooB versions from the dark side, the versions like Vector, The Buntu's, Mandrake, Mint, and pclos, that just work out of the box their methods will be the rule. The hard core few will retreat to Arch, Gentoo, and the like. Because it is a macho thing to do the harder ones, some NooB's will join the diminishing ranks. Even Slackware and Debian are installable now by the technically astute NooB, or have offshoots that are. UNIX and BSD now have "easy" versions.

Then, as more and more get comfortable with Linux, the tide will swing back to the customizable ones for some, for the challenge for others

So logic here may be misleading in the short run.

As an aside...Until I joined a couple of forums, I never knew anybody who had stuck to Gentoo or Arch. Ran across one guy over at NL a while back who touted Gentoo. Of course my first experience with Gentoo was an offshoot with a selection of aps by somebody for an OEM builder I got ahold of about 5 or 6 years ago. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Nothing like the latest version I tried.

Here with Vector BTW on a club box. Just works out of the box. Oh for shame <G>< Slack never looked so good

crouse
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can forsee a much easier than Arch/Gentoo distro gaining vast amounts of users if it had a good rolling release system......... easy to setup etc....... sidux is close to fitting the bill, but just doesn't seem a smooth to me as Arch, but I'm spoiled I guess Smile Perhaps once I get more used to it...... IDK.

For the life of me, I still have a hard time classifying sidux as a true rollling release, because of the confusion of the different commands, vs Arch's one command. Maybe I'm just being too critical though.

BumbleBee - OpenSolaris-SunOS 5.11
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Rolling upgrade use will depend on how systems are marketed Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
I can forsee a much easier than Arch/Gentoo distro gaining vast amounts of users if it had a good rolling release system, easy to setup etc. sidux is close to fitting the bill, but just doesn't seem a smooth to me as Arch, but I'm spoiled I guess Smile Perhaps once I get more used to it IDK.

For the life of me, I still have a hard time classifying sidux as a true rolling release, because of the confusion of the different commands, vs Arch's one command. Maybe I'm just being too critical though.

Whether a rolling upgrade system becomes the basis for a widely used system will depend upon how those systems are sold and whether the OS is a prominent feature or simply the basis for a product or service that may have little to do with the OS itself.

If systems are chosen on the basis of forming the framework for some consumer products, then I could foresee the use of rolling upgrades to make support easier. That would depend on the rolling upgrades working reliably with whatever products and services are offered on the platform.

Assuming that the product or service is sold as a model, such as a car or a commodity where changing features are common, then a release that corresponds to the product line may make sense. If, on the other hand, the product is simply a commodity, similar to food or department store items, then it is only necessary to be current with the popular trends in those industries.

Therefore even a commodity OS could see more than one approach taken and Linux could fit requirements in either category, something that is updated periodically or something that gets a new model once or twice a year.

As far as sidux goes, at this stage it is really mostly a toolchest of scripts on top of a great existing operating system, Debian Sid, and its main purpose is to provide an easier installation (what could be easier than the Live CD to install it?) and to enrich the tool set provided by Debian in order to ease system management. I do not see it at the present time as a commodity OS, I see it as an enthusiast's tool to tame a wild OS, Debian Sid.

The main update tool is smxi for packaging. This tool tames apt-get dist_upgrades in Sid, which are known to break major package updates. Recent examples are broken Open Office builds, which sidux put on hold until consistent builds were stabilized. When Debian Sid moved to Python 2.5, sidux saved the day. At the time the original project was conceived, recent Debian Sid changes to the gcc libraries created Debian Sid packaging and stability issues. The same happened when major X.org changes came out, which is why smxi runs as a console driven tool outside of X.

siduxcc is another tool, and it includes smxi as one of the package management tools. smxi is the standard package tool, and it calls apt-get update followed by apt-get dist-upgrade.

smxi is the recommended dist-upgrade method. I suspect other alternatives provided by sidux will be integrated to smxi unless something newer and better emerges. I recommend using smxi as you would pacman. The trick to using it smoothly is to periodically boot your system and simply type a 3 when you are pointing to the sidux boot entry in GRUB. This takes you straight to a console login instead of starting directly in the GUI. If you are running sidux but managing it from another distro's boot loader, this may or may not work the same way. If it doesn't, then the next best way is to establish a tty console using Ctrl Alt F1 or another console. When updates are complete, then select the init 5 menu option in smxi and that will return you to the GUI desktop.

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crouse wrote:
I can forsee a much easier than Arch/Gentoo distro gaining vast amounts of users if it had a good rolling release system......... easy to setup etc....... sidux is close to fitting the bill, but just doesn't seem a smooth to me as Arch, but I'm spoiled I guess Smile Perhaps once I get more used to it...... IDK.

For the life of me, I still have a hard time classifying sidux as a true rollling release, because of the confusion of the different commands, vs Arch's one command. Maybe I'm just being too critical though.

I've got to admit, Arch "rolls" right along when you want to do an update !! So far, it doesn't run any faster than my sidux, but all-in-all, it's just as good/maybe better than sidux. I think if I would have installed Arch before I installed sidux, Arch would be my favorite just as it is your favorite Wink.

BrionS

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2024 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still find sidux a pain to update with smxi (primarily because of the runlevel 3 requirement). It's a very nice script, but I basically have to drop everything to update only to sometimes find out that the update is broken (with convenient warning messages) such that I should try again later.

Again, wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to drop out of X into runlevel 3. I don't think anyone would want to have to reboot Windows into safe mode with networking just to get security updates (though it probably makes more sense that way).

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2024 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrionS wrote:
I still find sidux a pain to update with smxi (primarily because of the runlevel 3 requirement). It's a very nice script, but I basically have to drop everything to update only to sometimes find out that the update is broken (with convenient warning messages) such that I should try again later.

Again, wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to drop out of X into runlevel 3.
I'll agree with that, that is an annoyance ... so much so, that I've been contemplating dumping this sidux install, (which has to be re-installed because of a bad upgrade), and see if this HP can handle an Arch install :crosses fingers: Shocked Shocked Wink

My only problem with that is that I've got some downloaded stuff in my /home that I'd hate to lose if Arch didn't recognize it Wink

EDIT: Sorry cheikhbouchihda, I'm crapping this thread with my commentary, I didn't realize what I was doing Embarassed Embarassed

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2024 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have we adequately answered the original question? If so, fine, our digressions have been interesting. But if not, let's make sure we answer cheikhbouchihda's question. Lynch's answer is certainly one answer. Is that enough?

The verdict? Are you satisfied, or should we get back to you with more explanation?

lynch

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I forgot I answered this question.
My answer only applied to KDE, so, how do you find the version via GUI in other desktop environments?

BrionS

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're running sidux there is a program called sidux Control Center which provides the System Info in any desktop environment (KDE, Gnome, XFCE, etc.).

In Gnome you can run the System Monitor process and under the 'System' tab it shows your kernel information as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: