USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Using "privoxy" or "tor"

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » System Administration and Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2024 11:02 pm    Post subject: Using "privoxy" or "tor" Reply with quote

Can somebody explain to me the advantages of using "privoxy" (or "tor") and the limitations of secure browsing.

I'm sitting on the "rooftop of the world", behind the Great Fire Wall (I think you get the picture). Only news is what I can get by surfing, so I set up "privoxy" in the hopes that the visiting of my interest sites is not being monitored. The arrangement will still not enable one to get on to State blocked sites (BBC or YouTube).

I download emails (rather than work with them online). Is the SSL (TLS for Gmail) method of transfer reasonably secure??

In case you haven't guessed, some paranoia is creeping in Razz

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2024 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O used "privoxy", "tor" and "JAP" on my testbox. It will down your internet the Internet, and you will have problems if you like to join some forum.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2024 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have "privoxy" loaded and running at the moment.

No noticeable difference in surfing speeds, but it did block some images on some sites. There was a "link" to release the block, and that worked.

I just wondered if it was much of a help to keep the Chi- coms from monitoring my ADSL connection as I roam the net.

Some people here use "anonymouse" where you log on to the basic website then enter your URL's. It appears to me that "privoxy" basically does the same thing- without the pop-up ads that often appear in German.

VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2024 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Networks built around remaining anonymous...unfortunately they're quite slow at this point.

TOR is an effort by the EFF if I remember correctly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » System Administration and Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: