USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

tight VNC

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coastie
Moderator Bot

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2024 4:06 am    Post subject: tight VNC Reply with quote

I would like to get a VNC server working on the home network. I know that VNC has it's security issues, which is why I was looking at tight vnc. Anyone here have any experience with it?

If I can get this to work...then I might be able to be able to do this with my dad's laptop...which would save me some huge headaches when he calls me with computer troubles.

I'm not sure about which ports I need to open up on the router for this...I do know that I can mask the port to a different number, which I would end up doing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
markrmcs

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From What TCP ports does VNC use?

Code:
By default, a VNC server will listen for connections from a VNC viewer on TCP port "5900+N", where N is the "Display Number" (usually just zero). So a VNC server setup for Display-0 will listen on TCP-5900, Display-1 is TCP-5901, etc.

Additionally, the VNC server will listen for connections from a web-browser on TCP port "5800+N", where N is as above. If you point a web-browser to this port, the VNC server will automatically provide a Java VNC viewer that runs right in your web-browser. This Java Viewer will then exchange data with the VNC Server on the same ports a normal VNC Viewer would use: "5900+N".

Lastly, if you start a "server-initiated connection" to a Listen-mode Viewer (this is a pretty advanced mode), the connection will be to TCP port "5500+N" on the Viewer.

I find reverse VNC works easiest for the "VNCee" as they only have to do a couple of mouse clicks and send the request to me and I temporarily open the needed ports. YMMV....

Mark

VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you trying to do with VNC that you couldn't accomplish with SSH and X11 forwarding? (just curious)

MacBook: OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
coastie
Moderator Bot

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this way my dad can actually see what I'm doing when I'm fixing something on his laptop. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Networking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: