USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

linux mint XFCE beta

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ephemeral
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2024 3:38 pm    Post subject: linux mint XFCE beta Reply with quote

linux mint XFCE beta

could this unsurp Xubuntu (im doubtful - as the extra features may detract from the solidness of something like xubuntu)... but i might give it a go anyway

Quote:
Linux Mint 5 XFCE Community Edition RC1 (BETA 025) is out and available for download. We're planning to release the stable version of this edition in two weeks so I hope you'll be numerous to test it and we'll receive plenty of feedback.

Please find all relevant information about this release at this address: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa_xfce.html

I'd also like to thank and congratulate Merlwiz79 for maintaining this edition and for making it better and better with each release.

Have fun with it and don't forget to give us feedback by replying to this thread.

Clem.

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.html?f=17&t=14945

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Looks like a good possibility Reply with quote

Looks promising. If it is as easy and as stable as Xubuntu 8.04.1 it ought to be quite good. I do have Xubuntu and I tried regular Linux Mint 5. It was OK, but for me, I prefer using sidux with xfce-full installed from the smxi tool. It's fast, clean, not frilly, but no surprises, and it's fast. However, Xubuntu has some good casual use features, such as a task bar icon that lets you know when updates are available, a task bar entry for connecting to your wireless access, clean navigation, and things along that line. If Linux Mint XFCE community edition does as well it ought to make for a really nice desktop system.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2024 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Ephemeral, is Xubuntu your every day distro right now? It's a pretty good one, isn't it?

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2024 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the DistroWatch note, based on the same announcement as you shared in the first post:

Quote:
The first release candidate (marked as BETA 025) for Linux Mint 5 "Elyssa" XFCE Community Edition is out and available for download: "This is the first BETA release of the XFCE Community Edition for Linux Mint 5, codename Elyssa, based on Daryna and compatible with Ubuntu Hardy and its repositories. All mint applications were improved in Elyssa. For the list improvements of mintUpdate, mintUpload and mintInstall, read the Elyssa Main release notes... mintUpdate was refactored and its memory usage was drastically reduced. On some systems the amount of RAM used by mintUpdate after a few days went from 100MB to 6MB. Mozilla also greatly improved the memory usage in Firefox between version 2 and 3. Elyssa comes with kernel version 2.6.24 which features a brand new scheduler called CFS (Completely Fair Scheduler). The kernel scheduler is responsible for the CPU time allocated to each process. With CFS the rules have changed."

Download mirrors
Australian site containing ISO image

Ephemeral
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2024 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masinick wrote:
By the way, Ephemeral, is Xubuntu your every day distro right now? It's a pretty good one, isn't it?

yeah i use xubuntu to do work on my laptop... because to me it feels the fastest and most solid distro out there.. whilst involving very little effort to do stuff with

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Distributions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: