USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Check Point - 2.4.18 crashes

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Servers and Server Administration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sisu-up

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2024 2:01 pm    Post subject: Check Point - 2.4.18 crashes Reply with quote

I am running Check Point (secure platform aka SPLAT) which is redhat kernel 2.4.18 and have been having a series of crashes over the last four months. I'm not able to get a complete core dump so Check Point can figure why my firewalls are crashing.

In /etc/sysconfig there is a dump configuration file which looks like this.

#
DUMP_ACTIVE=1
DUMPDEV=/dev/vmdump
DUMPDIR=/var/log/dump
DUMP_SAVE=1
DUMP_LEVEL=8
DUMP_FLAGS=0
DUMP_COMPRESS=0
PANIC_TIMEOUT=5

When I view /var/log/dump that lastest analysis.2 file shows the following.

Time of dump: Thu Jun 19 16:28:52 2024

Panic string: Oops
Number of hw pages in dump: 0
Kernel hw page size: 4096
Dump header version number: 7
Magic number: 0xa8190173618f23ed
Dump header size: 724
Dump level: 0x8
Failed.

Looks to me that the kernel cannot complete a full memory dump. I don't know why. I have to power cycle the machine to get it to boot again. The host is totally locked up, no i/o on the console.

Can anyone help me out?

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: What is the free space for the /var directory or file system Reply with quote

How much free space is there in /var? If space is limited, that would be the first thing to check. Other than dump settings, that is the most common reason why you either get no dump or an incomplete dump. Check that out and then if that is not the cause of a lack of a dump file, let's explore other avenues.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject: Welcome to the USALUG! Reply with quote

Also, a warm welcome to the USALUG! Do you live in the city of Detroit or in one of the suburbs? I was actually born in a no longer existing hospital in the city of Detroit, but I grew up in Fraser, Michigan, went to Michigan Technological University in Houghton, Michigan (in the far northwest corner of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan), got my first professional job at General Motors Corporation in the former GM Building on West Grand Boulevard in Detroit before moving shortly thereafter to the GMISCA Building on the northeast corner of the GM Tech Center in Warren, Michigan. I lived in Warren in my first apartment before returning to Fraser, where I also had an apartment until I left General Motors in 1985 to join Digital Equipment Corporation. I worked there from 1985 until 1998, and I have been a software contractor ever since. The past few years I have been doing primarily project management. Right now I am doing whatever it takes, helping in a wide variety of roles, working with business customers, sizing workloads and systems for a new development effort, testing software and assessing both tools and business requirements. In quiet project moments I do as much research as possible to prepare for any scenario.

Tell me about your background and interests and also where you are living, Great to have you join us at the USALUG!

sisu-up

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The host has 4 gig physical memory and /var has about 52 gig of storage available.

sisu-up

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born in Detroit at Sinai Hospital, that one is long gone too. I live in the north-west suburbs now but grew up in Westland. I left Michigan for the military (Navy) and did a 15 year stint in San Jose CA, working for a lot of tech companies, everything from manufacturing engineering to coding test software. Toshiba, Sun and Cisco were the big ones.

I've been back in MI for about 10 years now. My goal is to move up to UP, back to my families roots, hopefully in the next 6 years, my other half (the better one) teaches at a small college in the UP now. I might go out on the road when I move up, but would rather play lumber jack, hunt, make home brew, collect heavy equipment and farm tractors.

Thanks for the welcome!

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2024 3:08 am    Post subject: Ah, the good ole' UP! Reply with quote

sisu-up wrote:
I was born in Detroit at Sinai Hospital, that one is long gone too. I live in the north-west suburbs now but grew up in Westland. I left Michigan for the military (Navy) and did a 15 year stint in San Jose CA, working for a lot of tech companies, everything from manufacturing engineering to coding test software. Toshiba, Sun and Cisco were the big ones.

I've been back in MI for about 10 years now. My goal is to move up to UP, back to my families roots, hopefully in the next 6 years, my other half (the better one) teaches at a small college in the UP now. I might go out on the road when I move up, but would rather play lumber jack, hunt, make home brew, collect heavy equipment and farm tractors.

Thanks for the welcome!

I know all of those places. Houghton, Michigan still holds a fond spot in my memory. Now that I look at your handle, I see the SISU-UP. I cannot remember any more what SISU means but it definitely rings a bell - is it a Finnish word? Please refresh my dim memory of things from thirty years ago! Smile

Fraser, Roseville, and Warren are all northeast suburbs. From what I can tell, the area between Ann Arbor, the far west side of Detroit outside the city limits, and the area up toward Lansing are the areas that seem to be growing the most, though the area north of where I grew up - Sterling Heights and Utica, all the way north to Washington Township is quite populated now. When I left Michigan, Sterling Heights and Clinton Township were still growing. Now I am not even sure that they are the centers of activityl they are all mature communities. My mother has a condo just off 19 Mile Road and Garfield, nice neighborhood. It is a couple of miles from the Lakeside Mall.

Ah, the memories!

The area where I now live in Concord, NH has been growing quite a bit, to the point where new homes are being built north of me. Some of those people actually commute, either by car or by bus to downtown Boston, which is 71 miles - one way - from my doorstep. The management of the group I work in is located next to South Station in Boston. From time to time I take a bus there, or drive part way and take the "T", a train-subway network that is anchored at both the North and South Station train stations.

I am just over an hour from Boston (that is, when the roads are clear - it can be a 2 - 2 1/2 hour commute, even more, in the winter), and I am only 61 miles from Lincoln, NH, which is the area near the White Mountains. I am also about an hour from Portsmouth, perhaps slightly under an hour in good conditions. That is the main "port" on the ocean in New Hampshire. I am also about an hour from Hampton Beach and just slightly over an hour to York Beach, Maine. In down times, when I have lost my job, it has been a pain to find technology work here. Digital Equpment Corporation faded out here in the late nineties, Compaq bought them, but then were acquired by Hewlett Packard. Ever since, HP has been gradually reducing operations here. They have, I believe, closed their Spit Brook Road software engineering facility where I once worked - at Digital. We have a few other technology companies, and fortunately financial services have moved in, otherwise I would have a REALLY LONG commute. Concord has mostly lawyers, only relatively small technology companies.

sisu-up

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masinick

sisu is finish, it means full of ones self.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2024 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sisu-up wrote:
masinick

sisu is finish, it means full of ones self.

Cool! Sorry we can't be of more help on the issue. Have you gotten anywhere with it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Servers and Server Administration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: