USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

Has anybody ever tried this???

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2024 2:12 am    Post subject: Has anybody ever tried this??? Reply with quote

OK, this may sound like a dumb question, but I'm full of them, so what's new??

On my HP, which has a cd/dvd burner, I'm running Knoppix 5.3.1 Live DVD since everything seems to crap out . I'd like to download and burn a different ISO .... maybe sidux, maybe mint, or something else. I know I can download things while running live, but I've never tried downloading an entire ISO, and then I want to use K3b or the command line to burn it to disk. Has anyone ever tried this .... and what results did you have? In theory, it should work, but I was just wondering if anyone had done it and what advice they might give ......... THX

Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2024 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can honestly say I have never tried it. I cannot see a way to do it unless you can boot your Live DVD to RAM. Knoppix is a little big for that, me thinks, but there are certainly mini-distros that should work.

Why not install Knoppix to a small hard drive partition and do your download and burning? You like to try different distros, so a "get and burn" partition would be handy. If it works, no need to upgrade to do simple burns. You would have grub in a partition where you could easily edit it for the new installs.

tlmiller
Ultimate Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2024 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mount a partition and then save to it, I don't see why it wouldn't work...

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlmiller wrote:
If you mount a partition and then save to it, I don't see why it wouldn't work...

I agree. Just mount one or more partitions. You should be able to run K3B whether you are completely loaded to RAM or not.

VHockey86
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2024 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do K3B and other apps still require a big chunk of temporary hard disc space to complete the burn process? (Used to be that you needed 1-1.5x the size of the iso to burn it, but that was a really long time ago).

If not, and you have a system with 1.5+GB of ram you could probably just save it to a ramdisk (mount a tmpfs partition) and burn right form there, no hard disc required at all.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2024 8:33 pm    Post subject: Have not ever noticed K3B restrictions Reply with quote

VHockey86 wrote:
do K3B and other apps still require a big chunk of temporary hard disc space to complete the burn process? (Used to be that you needed 1-1.5x the size of the iso to burn it, but that was a really long time ago).

If not, and you have a system with 1.5+GB of ram you could probably just save it to a ramdisk (mount a tmpfs partition) and burn right form there, no hard disc required at all.

If K3B has this kind of overhead, I am not aware of it. I have used it for several years now, and all I had was 256 MB of memory and a total of 40 GB hard disk space, but generally no more than 5 GB per disk partition. On that system (the 4100 I talk about a lot) I have since put in an 80 GB disk, but many of the partitions from which I tend to run K3B are still on the original smaller disk and I have never seen a problem.

Years ago I used to use cdrecord, which is now just a front end for various burning programs. I never saw this restriction there either.

Putting the data into RAM or RAMdisk would be nice. Not sure that JP will have enough capacity on his system, but if he does, that would certainly make a great mount point!

Cope57

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2024 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could try loading the Live CD of AntiX on my old Dell, mount one of my existing Linux partitions with a lot of remaining space and run K3B from there. Based on my own experience with K3B I am quite sure that will work, though I have not explicitly tried it. What is common about both UNIX and Linux file systems is that to a device driver, a file system associated with something in /dev, assuming it has a working driver, is merely a stream of bytes, which we all know that Linux can handle. It does not care whether it is a hard drive, a USB stick, a CD, a DVD, or even memory, as long as the driver to support each of them is there. I KNOW that KNOPPIX, being rich in drivers and support for a vast range of hardware can handle this even if AntiX ends up not having K3B in the Live version - though if there is not a K3B there will undoubtedly be another burner program available.

Do you want me to try it and report back or are you convinced?

Cope57

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2024 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiX

CD/DVD burners

* Brasero gui.
* Bashburn cli burner.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2024 9:24 pm    Post subject: AntiX can do it then! Reply with quote

Cope57 wrote:
AntiX

CD/DVD burners

* Brasero gui.
* Bashburn cli burner.

In that case, burning from AntiX Live can most certainly be done - which is what I claimed earlier. Just was not sure, right off the Live CD which apps are there since I tinker with my setup so much!

Thanks for digging that info up. I figured someone may beat me to it, and you did - appreciate it!

JP
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2024 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried the latest sidux download, it failed at 63%. which may answer some of the speculation about whether I have enuff RAM or not Laughing Laughing
So I need to mount a partition OR install Knoppix onto a small partition ..... I wasn't aware that Knoppix was installable, I thought it was live DVD only Confused I'll look into that before I decide which way to go ..... Thanks for the replies Wink

Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2024 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big problem for just a straight download would have to be the risk factor of even the smallest interruption. I like the iso's in their own partition where I can md5sum them for integrity.

I have only used Knoppix for it's known recovery tools and their documentation (quite good, I might add). There is documentation for a hard drive install if you explore a bit.

You can put Knoppix in a pretty small partition using a "frugal" install which, as I understand it, is storing the iso "as is" to boot up from the hard drive just the same manner as the DVD. How the frugal differs from a "poorman's" install is beyond me. Documentation must be for when disk storage was small.

I used the last Knoppix CD to demo Linux to a friend, and he wanted me to install it to his hard drive straight away. As he was from Hong Kong and used Traditional Chinese, I talked him in to Xubuntu and was able to get it working for him.

Come to think of it, JP, you might like Knoppix, once installed. I am curious how it would differ from Kubuntu.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2024 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be "an echo" in here. My review of KNOPPIX is that it has great tools. As a hard drive desktop system, the menus are really full. Some may complain about the organization and others will love it. The hard drive installation program was not improved for quite some time; others passed it by in that particular area. Have not checked this feature in a year or two though.

As far as the JP box, I think that the system has one or more hardware deficiencies. Perhaps some storm made one or more parts partially damaged, not a complete wipe out, but enough to screw over a lot of stuff.

Pet3M0ss
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2024 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed sorry about the multiple post. Am on a borrowed computer and it looked like nothing happened when I submitted

lynch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2024 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pet3M0ss wrote:
Embarassed sorry about the multiple post. Am on a borrowed computer and it looked like nothing happened when I submitted

Deleted triple post. That's a new one. Smile
lynch

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » OTHER All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: