USA Linux Users Group Forum Index

[review] SeaMonkey for Linux 2.0 Alpha 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2024 6:12 pm    Post subject: [review] SeaMonkey for Linux 2.0 Alpha 1 Reply with quote

Download

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/2.0a1/

the biggest changes what I have see so far on this release, how Seamonkey handle the Add-On's. You don't need to be root anymore Wink

This broswer need more attention, because it is 100% better replacement for FF, but still not good enough for hit on Konqueror or Opera.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2024 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since around Seamonkey 1.0.6, I have been back to using this (formerly the Mozilla Browser Suite) as my every day Email and Web browsing client. I have found it to be stable with just the core browser in place. About all I add to it are Java and Adobe Flash plugins on some, but not all, of my systems.

I have not yet tried this a1 instance of Seamonkey 2.0. Do you think it is worth using on a daily basis, or just something to take a look at?

I have Seamonkey 1.1.12 on several systems now.

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ masinick

you better wait! There is something on going at Mozilla. The death of gecko, because gecko found his limits now. Rumors said, Mozilla maybe switch from Gecko to WebKit.

Test it out on some testbox and then wait for the next release.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2024 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: [review] SeaMonkey for Linux 2.0 Alpha 1 Reply with quote

jada wrote:
the biggest changes what I have see so far on this release, how Seamonkey handle the Add-On's. You don't need to be root anymore

that depends on where you install SeaMonkey. I install it in my home directory and have never had to be root to install addons.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2024 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germ, being also closely connected with Seamonkey, at least in your interests, do you have your ears (or other body parts) tuned in to what is going on in the Seamonkey project? Do you agree with Jada - is Webkit in the plans for Seamonkey, or is that just a speculation at this point?

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2024 2:44 am    Post subject: IS it Webkit or Toolkit? Firefox uses Toolkit today Reply with quote

From what I can tell, it is "Toolkit", the same mechanism that Firefox and Thunderbird use today to easily add plugins, that the Seamonkey project is finally adding in, but I have not seen any mention of "Webkit". Isn't Webkit from the KHTML side of the houes, home of Konqueror and Safari - and now Chrome?

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2024 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: IS it Webkit or Toolkit? Firefox uses Toolkit today Reply with quote

masinick wrote:
Isn't Webkit from the KHTML side of the houes, home of Konqueror and Safari - and now Chrome?

Yes it is! Also in the future gnome broswer. Gnome also say good buy to Gecko.
http://live.gnome.org/Epiphany/WebKit
http://blogs.gnome.org/epiphany/2008/04/01/the-future-of-epiphany/

Mozilla Rumor talk!
http://digg.com/software/Why_Mozilla_is_committed_to_Gecko_as_WebKit_popularity_grows

http://swik.net/AllPeers/Blog/Should+Mozilla+Drop+Gecko+for+WebKit%3F/bo76d

http://peter.upfold.org.uk/blog/2007/06/11/the-webkit-gecko-debate/

The Gecko is old and have to many patches. The question is for me, does Mozilla develop from the ground on a new Gecko, or does they also switch to WebKit.

Germ
Keeper of the BIG STICK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2024 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's New in SeaMonkey 2.0 Alpha 1

SeaMonkey 2.0 Alpha 1 contains the following major changes:

* SeaMonkey switched to Toolkit, the same backend Firefox uses internally. Due to this change SeaMonkey is now much closer to Firefox as far as user profiles, add-ons and functionality of user interface elements are concerned.
* The default location of user profiles has changed. Legacy profiles, e.g. from SeaMonkey 1.x, are migrated automatically, excluding third-party add-ons (extensions and themes). The old profile will not be touched (instead, copies are made).
* The new Add-on Manager allows to install, update, disable and remove extensions (add-ons), themes and plugins using the same mechanisms Firefox uses. This should ease extension management and development considerably.
* Gecko, the rendering engine used in SeaMonkey, has seen many improvements since the version used in the last stable release. Changes range from a better graphics backend (Cairo/Thebes) to improved support for fonts, CSS, DOM and JavaScript. SeaMonkey 2.0 Alpha 1 passes the Acid2 test and most of Acid3.
* Most of the icons in the default theme have been exchanged for newer images that fit better with the look of modern desktop environments.
* Support for Windows 95, 98, Me and NT 4 was dropped. GTK 2.10 is now required on Linux/UNIX. Support for Mac OS X 10.3 ("Panther") was also dropped.

The changes page lists more details about new features and fixes

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.0a1/#new

I don't think they will be using webkit. Pure speculation, IMO.

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2024 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germ wrote:

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.0a1/#new

I don't think they will be using webkit. Pure speculation, IMO.

Does Mozilla have a chance? Big supporter like Google, MS, Sun and some commercial Linux distro's, there focus went to WebKit. Let's see what the future will bring Smile

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2024 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent data has shown that Gecko, as of fairly recently, is still the fastest rendering engine for images, just a tick faster overall than Opera's engine, which is a VERY close second. Konqueror' KHTML is not as far off as it once was, and the Konqueror browser invokes faster than Opera or Firefox, or Seamonkey, for that matter, but not as fast as Lynx, Links2, or elinks, which do not have anywhere near the functionality of any Gecko or KHTMLbased browser, but render TEXT very fast indeed.

I'll stick with Seamonkey, but I am in no hurry to run the next release - may test it from time to time just to see how it is doing though.

inactive

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2024 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in a quandry over this one, using mostly Seamonkey for my browsing. I am nowhere near impressed with FF, but have been forced to use it for several reasons in Cooker.

Strange thing is, I see a LOT of gecko-media plugins in Cooker.

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2024 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Seamonkey 1.1.12? That is what I generally use.

inactive

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2024 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my Cooker box:

Code:
[dedanna@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa | grep seamonkey
seamonkey-dom-inspector-1.1.12-1mdv2009.0
seamonkey-js-debugger-1.1.12-1mdv2009.0
seamonkey-mail-1.1.12-1mdv2009.0
seamonkey-spellchecker-1.1.12-1mdv2009.0
seamonkey-1.1.12-1mdv2009.0

Code:
[dedanna@localhost ~]$ ls /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
------>gecko-mediaplayer-dvx.so*  libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so*
------>gecko-mediaplayer-dvx.xpt  libvlcplugin.so*
------>gecko-mediaplayer-qt.so*   mplayerplug-in-dvx.so*
------>gecko-mediaplayer-qt.xpt   mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt*
------>gecko-mediaplayer-rm.so*   mplayerplug-in-gmp.so*
------>gecko-mediaplayer-rm.xpt   mplayerplug-in-gmp.xpt*
------>gecko-mediaplayer.so*      mplayerplug-in-qt.so*
------>gecko-mediaplayer-wmp.so*  mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt*
------>gecko-mediaplayer-wmp.xpt  mplayerplug-in-rm.so*
------>gecko-mediaplayer.xpt      mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt*
gxineplugin.so*            mplayerplug-in.so*
libflashplayer.so@         mplayerplug-in-wmp.so*
libjavaplugin_oji.so@      mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt
libjavaplugin.so@          mplayerplug-in.xpt
libswfdecmozilla.so*       nphelix.so*
libtotem-basic-plugin.so*  nphelix.xpt
libtotem-cone-plugin.so*   npwrapper.libflashplayer.so*
libtotem-gmp-plugin.so*    npwrapper.nphelix.so*
libtotem-mully-plugin.so*  npwrapper.so@

Yeah, haven't had time to go through the plugins and weed out the excess, but then it wouldn't matter anyway. Sound's not working in Cooker (we don't know why for sure), so I don't spend much time with it these days (regardless of the speed it has. Without sound, it's nothing to me).

masinick
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2024 5:59 pm    Post subject: Seamonkey 2.0B1pre Reply with quote

Since we had this discussion, a number of updates have occurred, and I've been using Seamonkey (and also the Debian Iceape equivalent) right up to the Seamonkey 1.1.16 release. Unfortunately, however, on the Debian side of the house, development of Iceape stopped at Version 1.1.14, so that left me having to decide what to do next. Since I had previously grabbed a version of Seamonkey 2.0 Alpha 1, I started using it more and I have been happy with it. I cannot remember if I explicitly downloaded or just upgraded to the Seamonkey 2.0b1pre, which is the Beta 1 version, but I have been extremely happy with it, have found it to be stable, to the point that I have now made it my default every day browser on my Debian sidux system, which is my every day system. Seamonkey 2.0B1pre can be updated every day if you check for updates, and I do. Today, for example, I am running Build ID: 20240522001213, which is the midnight build for today. It has worked flawlessly, as have each nightly build I've used since I migrated to this release. When there are updates, I allow the browser to download them and automatically restart the browser. If I have the Email window open, it does close that, but it remembers the pages where I was browsing, and it is a simple matter to reopen the Email window and place it on my Email desktop (I have four desktop windows labeled Web, Mail, Term, and Edit) to organize my work).

This has been such a solid environment for me that it is what I intend to use as my everyday environment until something even better comes along. I do test many other browsers though, so who knows what the future may hold? This one is number one as an overall blend of decent memory use, good page rendering, good performance, and solid stability.

jada
Linux Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2024 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact there are a number of updates and improvements.
I also like to point out "prism".
for opensuse User all you need you can find here
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla:/beta/

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    USA Linux Users Group Forum Index » Web Browsers & Email Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: